Sick Plants :(

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mdforeva, May 17, 2010.

1. #1 mdforeva, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
    These plants look unhealthy, what should be done about it?
    I have read so many things about scorched edges, wilting, stunted growth but there are too many contradictions about deficiencies/toxicities and other things I'm not sure what the problems are.
    These are three different plants.

Attached Files:

2. I can't really help, but once the plants produce some more green new growth, the lower leaves and their issues won't be much of a problem. You would like to prevent it from spreading. I know. This list of things might help you get a few responses.

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    What strain?
    How old are the plants?
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    How far from the lights?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    What size pots?
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?

3. there stunted and lazy... over watered and over feed. the last one with the leaves curled is getting to hot. hope that helps good luck

4. this^^^ we need more info before we can help you properly identify what's going on.

5. I see nute burn and you have algae on your soil.

H2O2 kills algae.

what kind of soil and the rest of the questions doin listed?

6. the only green on your soil should be a plant.

over watered
    over fed

flush flush flush
    and check pH

7. sorry i waited a day, didn't get any response so i went out tried something.
    the reason i was getting nutrient burn was because in my soilless mix of perlite and vermiculite, my perlite was miracle grow brand and the nutrients drained into my reservoir.
    anyways, i cleaned out my tray, my reservoir, my pots, replaced the vermiculite/perlite with sphagnum moss/coco husk with expanded clay pebbles on the surface. my reservoir has filtered water with absolutely no nutrients in it so that my plants can recover. They got a lot worse from the pictures. does anyone think they can recover from such misery?

New set up:

What type of medium; soil or hydro? hydro
    What brand and type of soil? coco husk/sphagnum moss
    Indoors or outdoors? indoor
    What strain? first girl and mystery strain
    How old are the plants? 3 weeks
    What type of lights and how many watts? 2 foot t5, couple of cfl's (hopefully sometime in the next couple weeks changing to 400w mh
    How far from the lights? several inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? now it is 7 times a day during day hours and may turn it on once during night hours depending on how fast this soilless mix drains.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? nutrient directions were followed since plants were seeds.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? i try to keep ph to around low six's or high five's but last time i checked it it was neutral. i don't have a ppm meter but there are no nutrients in the reservoir right now.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 84 degrees 53% humidity
    What size pots? 6 to 8 inches
    Any bugs? Look real close. no
    Any other pertinent info? i need help evacuating air from the room

i did flush them out with clean water, when they start showing a response i will post some photos.

i will move the lights up a little.

i appreciate all the help.

8. Thanks for the info :smoke I'm sorry to hear that they're looking worse :(
    What do you mean by worse? drooping, yellowing?
    Glad to hear that you've flushed them, it should help.

hydro ph 5.8 - 6.0

no nutes for the first 10-14 days. (I know you said they're older then that, but it's good info to have) When you do give them nutes, start at 25% of the recommended and slowly build up.

*AskEd is the coco guru around here, there's a ton of great info on coco in his thread

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/523759-eds-coconut-grove-lounge-41.html

I don't know about watering that much in coco, sounds like a bit much to me, definitely check with Ed ;)

Temps are kind of high - need to have a way to get the heat out of there, and bring in fresh air. What kind of air circulation do you have set up?

I'd get a ppm meter, so you can keep an eye on nute levels, as well as the ppm's in the water that you're using before adding nutes.

Sometimes things look worse before they get better, give it some time. Keep your eye on the new growth, it'll tell ya if the issues have been resolved.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :smoke:
    Doin'

9. Thanks Doin'.
    the air circulation i have set up is a small oscillating fan and a larger one above the plants blowing straight down on them. I wanted to send air up into the attic but that plan isn't working out so well. not really sure what to do there(grow area about 3x3x8). I'll make sure to get a ppm meter and also ask the coco guru some questions, thanks again.

10. You're very welcome :)

You need to pull fresh air into the grow from close to the floor where the air is cooler. It'll help keep your temps down. You need to find a way to exhaust out of the grow area as well, it's important to have air exchange.

The fans you have will help, but I'd move at least 1 of them and position it to blow across the canopy, at canopy level. And move the other one to a lower position as well to help circulate cooler air, even if you put it on the floor (if you can).

You can purchase inline duct fans from home depot for about $20. Set them up to help pull fresh air in and out of the area. If you aren't able to exhaust into the attic, you can connect some flexible aluminum duct (like flex. dryer vent) and set it up to get air in / air out. (The in being passive)

When you change to the 400, you're going to need an inline exhaust fan ($150-200) IMO. The light will raise your temps.

Glad to hear you're gonna get with Ed...he's a really nice, helpful blade :cool:

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Doin'