Should we be told?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Mogwai, Dec 18, 2011.

1. So say the government gets wind of a soon to be disaster that will end humanity. It's going to happen for sure and there is nothing anybody can do to survive. It's sorta hard to say what they'd do, but chances are they wouldn't let anybody know as to avoid mass panic.. That's procedure, isn't it?

Do you think that's right? I mean, yeah, mass panic will ensue. People are gonna go crazy and do what the fuck ever. But still... I couldn't imagine letting humanity go without giving them a heads up. It just seems right to let somebody know they're going to die so they can wrap shit up how they see fit.

What do you think? I'm not asking if you think they would or wouldn't disclose the information to the public.. but I'm asking SHOULD they disclose it? Would it be wrong not to?

2. I don't think it matters cuz we'd all be dead either way regardless.

3. I can't even decide either way.

If I were in a position of power, and knew about our impeding death... knowing that telling the public might cause mass chaos, violence, death, rioting...

If I were in that position? I can see how it would be wise to keep the public in the dark.

Would I want to know about it? Most definitely.

Would I want everyone around me to also know about it? Fuck, man... I mean, these people are nuts... :laughing:

4. While many of us would want to spend their final moments with family and friends, and just "chillin", waiting for the moment. Im sure many would feel the need to get crazy, and whos gonna stop them? Unfortunately I think it would be mass chaos if the world knew. So I dont think its right to hold on to this information, but it might be for the best.

5. Anybody else?

6. sure there might be rioting, but i think most people would be spending time with there families and telling people they love them.

whats the use in looting when everythings gonna be gone?

7. You are a very optimistic person. :p

Sure, plenty of people would be thinking "The world is ending, I need to spend as much time with my loved ones as possible..."

But I'm sure plenty of people would also be thinking "The world is ending... No consequences for my actions, bitches!!!" ;)

8. They shouldn't tell us.

It's like a shot in the back of the head - without knowing about it there is no suffering.

To me, the lack of suffering (panic) would outweigh the chance to spend your last moments with your loved ones.

9. #9 SirBongwalski, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
    I would stay away from my family and friends the last day mainly cause I don't want to think about them dying. I'd rather die alone in nature smoking a blunt and drinking whiskey or root beer schnapps anyway.

10. if its inevitable that everybody will end, no matter what.... like some armageddon but bruce willis cant operate an oil rig... well... it doesnt matter if there is chaos, mass murder, or anything like that, people deserve to know.

11. I would want to know but I wouldn't want anyone else to know lol. Cuz if everyone else knew everyone was going to die than nothing would be functioning normally.

This matters because if I knew I only had a short time left to live I would want to experience as much of what the world has to offer as I could. If no one was working or functioning normally than I wouldn't be able to do any of things that I'd want to do.

12. I wouldn't want to know. Personally, it is just as if being told you have 3 months to live from cancer. Sure, you may outlive it. But that does not stop people from committing suicide.

If the government told us the world was indeed going to end, there would be cults out the wazoo, committing suicide left and right.

People would stop caring about working and other productive activities that keep us alive to that point in time.

And there would just be crazy people rioting.

Maybe just the best scientists should know, to try to save our asses. :hello:

13. I think it would probably be better to let every die blissfully unaware until those final few moments, confusing a lot of people briefly is better than causing chaos and violence over an extended period.

14. Yes, a secret that big would just be to much for me to handle, I'd get on national TV and tell the world! Then I'd go hide cuz all hell is going to break loose.

15. You think anyone would believe you? Haha

If its like a meteor that's gonna hit within a day or something I'd tell people. If it were somethin slower like radiation I'd keep that shit a secret. If we're all gonna die in a dy it doesn't matter, but if we can work out some Armageddon shit I would want people to remain calm

16. We should only be told by the Rev. Harold Camping....

17. It's best to let people die what they were doing rather than die like panicky roaches.

18. imo some sort of global poll is the most reasonable way of determining who'll want to know and stay in the dark about the end of humanity. those who decide that want to know will sign a contract. these people agree to not go bat-shit crazy.

and, those who decide to stay in the dark will never know of course.

finally, the contract should include that a 24 hour notice will be given before the end of humanity. lol. this way, those who might break the contact because they're thinking, "wtf contract? end of the world, im fuckn shit up!" will only have 24hrs to cause chaos.

this is my idea because yes, i think all people should know the world is going to end. what gives one group of people the right to know over another group?

Because one group might go crazy?. That's why there's only a 24hr notice

19. Even though the disaster is supposedly inevitable I'd be afraid of the repercussions if I told people and caused mass chaos but for whatever reason the disaster never did happen.

20. I wouldnt want to know.