Should tobacco be illegal?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tray Dub, Jul 9, 2008.

1. The thing with tobacco is it puts other people at risk by way of second-hand smoke. I think all drugs should be legal if they're not going to hurt people that choose not to use them, but tobacco does hurt people that don't use it. So I'm kinda on the fence. Thoughts?

2. If tens of millions (obviously researched) of people didn't buy them in large quanities like they do, then maybe.

3. Second hand smoke is a myth.

4. How so?

5. wrong fucking section.

cuz the pollution produce by automobiles and factories vastly vastly outweighs the effects of cigs.

your lungs are constantly cleaning themselves,

a night in a smoky coffeeshop isnt gonna give you terminal cancer.

and yes, either all drugs should be legal,

or tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, etc. should be illegal too.

6. Oops.

7. well, since they made social security, with cigarettes, people die earlier than they are supposed to so the government gets money off that, and we have a bastard money loving government so you do the math.

8. the problem with making things illegal is it doesn't get rid of them
    ..they simply move to the black market where there are no restrictions on their sale or quality.

Right now minors can't legally buy tobacco, they have to find someone to buy it for them, this is a lot harder than if tobacco were illegal when all a minor would have to do is go down the road and buy as much tobacco as they like from their local drug dealer.

The government can't regulate a prohibited market. So, as you've noticed, drug dealers don't card.

Two things about tobacco should (and will) change.
    1. It shouldn't be legal to consume it anywhere where nonsmokers will be forced to consume secondhand smoke. The same is true for marijuana.
    2. Throwing cigarette butts on the ground should be strictly illegal. Why is it legal for smokers to toss their stinking trash on the ground, it's not legal to drop any other type of trash???

(this thread shouldn't be in rec.)

9. The biggest study on this topic, covering 39 years, and involving 118,094 adults, with particular focus on 35,561 who never smoked, and had a spouse in the study with known smoking habits, came to this conclusion:

"The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed."

10. I enjoy smoking cigarettes so I vote no. And littering a cigarette butt is illegal, its littering duh, just nobody cares cus its athe most litter'd item in the world.

11. they wouldnt make it illegal cus when they made alcohol illegal, it just made more ppl do it and they cigarette companies make ALOT of money. it sucks cus they dont see themselves as murderers but they are and they get paid for it. motherfuckers.

12. no swishers =(

13. In England it has, for a while now, been illegal to smoke in public places, including pubs, restaurents etc. It's legal out in the streets of course, but obviously there's not so much problem in well ventilated areas. I see that as a fairly reasonable solution to the issue you presented.

Simpleton

14. until weed is legal everywhere...tobacco users shouldnt be able to enjoy there smoke if we cant enjoy ours!

15. You can say that for any drug. Alcohol can lead to drunk driving which can put other people at risk (people who are on the road). No reason to make it illegal, it can be regulated easily (smoking is already illegal in many public places/bars where I live).

16. Well think about this, if tobacco is made illegal we won't be able to buy bongs, rolling papers, or anything because those are all sold under the premise of "tobacco use only." Of course, I disagree with the premise that anything has to be sold for "xxxx use only." Are guns sold for "hunting purposes only?" Exactly.
    Now I do personally think that it's stupid that politicians decide what plants are legal and illegal, but just wanted to point out that fact.

17. if they ban tobacco, the prisons will fill up wayyy to much. leave it at that

18. No becuase making tobacco illegal will just further encurage the backward ass laws of drug regulation.

19. I think it is considered littering still...it's just such a small little thing and such a common thing for people to toss everywhere that it's not a big deal and isn't really enforced.

They aren't ever going to make tobacco illegal. The tax on it just went up here, so that's more money being made off of them. Unfortunately with the world we live in today it;s more about the money than a persons health and well-being.