Should men still open doors for women?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Tbitty Legend, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I always open doors for women. But I have noticed that they never say thank you. I am not sure that courtesy is common any longer. Should I stop doing this? Am I just old fashioned?

2. Men hold the door for anyone. Its the proper thing to do man. Most people are just pricks now.

3. Clearly this is a very controversial religious issue....

4. I hold doors open for everybody.

Unless you're talking car doors....in that case, no, the bitch can open it herself.

5. #5 Made You Look, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah man if someone's right behind me or coming thru from the other side I just hold the door open and let them pass first. Right thing to do even if people dont appreciate kindness..

Plus I like to go in after and walk at my own pace, I dont like having to walk right ahead or behind of people

6. I'm a chick, and I hold the door for pretty much everyone lol. No discrimination here. :) I think it's more of a southern thing down here though, just what I was taught growing up.

7. If I hold a door for anyone and they don't acknowledge it, I hit em with the sarcastic "you're welcome"

8. The forum is beliefs. So what do you believe?

9. Oh I like that! I will have to start doing that. I am southern as well and like to do it. To honor women and be kind to my fellow man. I guess I just noticed because I opened doors for women on 6 occasions today and not even a nod.

10. I'll hold a door for anyone, but never feel put out if they don't thank me. I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do.

However, sometimes I'll deliberately not do so, just to see whether they were expecting me to, and how they react to having those expectations quashed. After all, it's the expectation that often gets in the way. If they come to a door and find it closed, they just open it, they don't feel bad that there was nobody there to open it for them. So why should someone in front of them not doing it for them affect them unless they get caught in expecting them to do so. I often confound people's expectations.

11. Beliefs related to the divine, this subforum is:

This should be in the general section.

But, regardless, I hold doors open for everyone. My gf usually opens the door for me, because she gets there first and refuses to let me open a door for her just to open a door for her. She says she is perfectly capable of opening one. lol.

12. I only hold the door open for the old and weak. Everyone else I just try to leave the door open as long as possible as I walk through the door.

13. I hold the door for anyone, it's the way I was raised...

14. I hold the door for pretty much everyone. And I think people who refuse to open the door for others because they feel it's just a pointless social convention take themselves too seriously and are annoying.

15. I always like it when someone holds a door for me, but I don't expect them to. I can't remember the last time someone opened a door for me; that's usually in the domain of women. A woman will have the door opened for her by a man, but I rarely see it happening the other way round. Either nothing happens from the woman's side, or it's just a question of whoever's there first holds it a little for anyone coming through.

Should men still open doors? Sure, if they wish to. I wouldn't make it a rule though. And I wouldn't want women to feel offended were a man not to bother. No able bodied person needs special treatment, but someone pushing a pram or carrying bags of shopping, definitely does.

16. Pram? What gibberish is this? You just made up a word :poke:

17. Gibberish? Pram comes from the old english word Perambulator. You probably know it better as a buggy or push chair. Can't always allow for you English speaking youngsters.

18. u gotta smile when u do it OP

I always open the door for a female. And then i make sure they see my smile and they smile back and say "Thank You". Then i look at her ass when she walks on by lol.

19. It was a joke, which is why I put the :poke: in. I knew what a pram was, a stroller. Just wanted to pick on it cuz it sounds funny to me, not something you hear very often.

20. I see. Not always good at picking up the joke from the poke. ;)

It's not something you hear in the US perhaps, but here in the UK, nobody would bat an eyelid at its use.