Should marijuana be legalized?

Discussion in 'General' started by yo0123yo, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Should marijuana be legalized?

2. No.

I believe marijuana should be decriminalized. I don't want Cannabis to be commercalized. I like the drug culture, the community. It's incredible stuff.

I just don't want to be a criminal for sitting out on my deck at night smoking a few bowls.

3. i second wat chip said.

4. I am having a hard time putting this into words, so if this isn't so eloquent, please forgive me.

There is a large cross- section of marijuana users. You can't classify all of the like us. There are in fact, many subcultures that exist in the weed community. If you were to think that the small microcosm in which you exist as a smoker would collapse, that's a falsehood.

MJ use is fare more widespread than a lot of people believe. People don't choose not to smoke because it's illegal, they choose not to smoke for many reasons including: issues with morality, health concerns, and religion.

If MJ were to become legalized, I can't see the community being invaded by a huge amount of people who refrain simply because it is illegal. The small weed smoking groups would continue to exist, and real stoners would always prevail.

5. Hell yes, its not a matter of what it would do to drug culture, its a priciple thing marijuana has no buisness being illegal

6. The only way that Canabis is going to stop being illegal is to regulate and tax it. There is no way in hell that the govt. is going to let 60bn dollars in taxable revenue stay out of their hands. If you just decriminalize, which in a ideal situation would be the best, there is no way to tax it because there the people that grow and deal it are not gonna report it to the IRS and that just wont fly. Its the US top cash crop and one day the govt. will realize it and change their position.

If you want to not be treated as a criminal for using MJ you need to realize that regulation and taxation is the only way it will work. Nevada's plan that they had on the ballot last year was a great way to go about it, and its a shame that it got defeated.

7. Chip said it best

8. Cannabis should be legalized. Fuck the drug culture. If it is decriminlized the people who grow it will still be heading to prison, same with the people who sell it to you. It is completely selfish to sit there and hope that only your ass gets saved and no one elses. Cannabis should never have been made illegal, and the stoner culture everyone loves so damn much, would thrive in a legal environment... I have no clue as to why people would think otherwise. Unless you like the idea of possibily being arrested, and that is what the drug culture is to you. In which case, as I said before, fuck the drug culture.

9. Are you fucking kidding me? YES!

Marijuana is not a drug.

It does not harm anyone.

Prohibition does far more harm then good.

Alcoholics are 10x worse citizens then stoners.

10. \

Thank you for saying that much more articulately than i could.

11. it would get taxed? GOOD! start workin out some of this rediculous national debt

12. Sadly..Im mixed..but i like the way it is now. Only thing Id want is to walk around on the streets tokin on a bowl. Well theres more..but yea. To tired to talk.

13. I cannot understand how, on a forum related to cannabis, you can have people who do not think it should be legalized. It blows my mind.

14. So just cause the term 'legalized' automatically means its good? NO!

15. What are you talking about? How would legalizing it not be good? How would being able to grow it yourself be a bad thing? How would not going to jail for smoking a joint be bad? Explain why legalizing it is bad, without appeals to emotion, using logic and reason, and maybe, it will no longer blow my mind and bring to my mind words like "ignorant", "illogical", "unreasonable", and "foolish", just to name a few.

16. there should be some regulation.. but i dont wanna be treated like a fucking criminal over it, my most recent arrest is still fresh in my mind.. and yea, i dont think anyone deserves to get smacked around and be forced to pay thousands in legal fees over a fucking plant

17. it's a no-brainer

18. I have to agree with Chip's statement and I'm a grower. Do I want to go to prison for growing the sacred plant, fuck no, but do I want the same commercial forces that have destroyed the family farm and turned the agricultural industry into a massive corporate entity, that disrespects the land and the people that work it? It's a terrible thing when good people go to prison for the green, but in my humble opinion there's a lot more wrong with society other than it's unwillingness to legalize pot. Instead of seeing it as a human rights issue try to see it the way the government will. Do you honestly think the government which is busy waging an illegal war against another country that has done nothing to us is going to be fair or honest? Do you honestly think that all those power brokers in the back rooms of Congress, or in smoke filled ones are seeing legalization in the same terms as a hippie? If you are you're in for a very rude awakening. [Human nature in itself is a law.]

If the government ever comes to accept potheads smoking dank out in the open it wouldn't have come without a terrible price. Legalize pot? I don't know, maybe if we started addressing some of the other great social issues first, maybe, just maybe pot would be accepted as a natural right, and therefore without need of legislation. I know legalization on it face seems imminently logical, but so do massive farming operations that have their gas subsidized by the government, so they can ship fruits and vegetables thousands of miles away from where they're grown, and then thousands of miles back again to the consumers that live mere miles away from the farms where they're grown.

Green things don't do well when they're regulated by the federal government. Excuse this next bit of pessimism, but if legalization does happen it's because of the potential dollars that can be made not social justice. Has the government proven to any of you that its not inefficient, opportunistic, and cold?

Either way, I think we'll find out in our lifetimes, and I pray that I'm wrong.

"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis, Ut prisca gens mortalium, Paterna rura bobus exercet suis, Solutus omni faenore."

~Quintus Horatius Flaccus~

Stay green.

19. That's rediculous, AK....weed is already on the market. The black market. How is organized crime more efficient than a free market?...

20. Because "the free market" isn't free bro.