Should legal age for recreational marijuana be 18 or 21?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by 2packush420, Jun 21, 2013.

1. I know that washington and Colorado have it where you must be 21 or older, but I personally think it should be 18. I'm an adult damn it, if I want to smoke I shouldn't have to wait till I'm 21.

2. #2 squidrick420, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
    I say 18 haha. I am turning 21 in 1.5 months but even then I still say 18. I was totally fine with handling reefer when I was 18 and so was everybody else I know. So I don't see the big deal; people are just trying to regulate it like alcohol which is actually really stupid considering the fact that reefer and alcohol are really different!

3. I think most places look at 21 so that teenagers don't have access, especially since a (very) few Seniors in H.S. can still be 18 or even 19. :smoke:

4. In my opinion the legal age for purchasing any legal psychoactive should be 18. People can still easily purchase whatever drug they seek. At whatever age; from dealer or licensed store. If someone wants to smoke, they can do so at 6, 12, 18, or 21. Laws may deter some; and there may be adverse effects at younger ages, but if someone really wants to get 'high,' they'll get high. Once 18 one is usually considered an adult, and should be able to make their own decisions. Whether it be risking their life to 'defend' or 'serve' their country or inhaling combusted plant matter. Why babysit them? They should be considered responsible enough to choose what to do in their lives.

5. 21. Ive seen too many immature 18 year olds to agree.

6. 21 is too old to do anything.

Here in Canada, alcohol is 18. I stopped partying when I was 21. Regardless they are going to obtain anything illegally.

7. Oh that's definitely going to stop them. No way they could possibly get their hands on something unless they're 21.

8. Oh that's definitely going to stop them. No way they could possibly get their hands on something unless they're 21.
    </blockquote>Ya, but that doesn't mean they should. I am glad I didn't smoke in high school.

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Where did i say that would stop them?!

10. You know that kids DO have access to black market pot and use it every day! :eek:  A 18 year old limit changes nothing - except the chance of arrest! :smoke:

11. #12 Yoda, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
    I think if they are old enough to wear thier pants high enough it covers thier ass
    then they should be allowed to smoke.. :laughing:..

those whom cant wear pants properly shouldnt be allowed to smoke anything, :laughing: :cry: :laughing:

12. since this is all theoretical because its still illegal federally, i say there shouldn't be any laws about a plant in the first place. it is not something government should be concerned with. a weed plant never blew up a plane or killed and american. who ever really wants to use it will use it, i dont think that the legal status means anything anymore.

13. Well a 21 year old limit could improve the chances of passing by voters. :smoking:

14. If you don't think it will stop them, why does it matter?

Right on, there should totally be an age limit for terrorism. :p 

16. Why do laws exist then? Dont make me explain it.

17. #18 hempwickchick, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    I'd say 18. If you're old enough to harm your body with tobacco products, old enough to buy a bong, and old enough to die for your country, you're definitely old enough to allow harmless thc into your bloodstream. 

18. Started with The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. Drunk driving has gone down. With cannabis is shown to be moderately less dangerous. But that's a different issue. You said YOU have seen immature 18 year olds; and YOU want to pass a law making the legal age 21.

19. #20 *guest, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

I mean he's not wrong, there are plenty of very immature 18 year olds. 

I personally think it should be 18, I think the drinking age should be 18 too. But I think for that to happen, this country needs a major change in our attitudes toward weed/alcohol. 

People need to stop acting like these things are so taboo. Guaranteed if kids were brought up with a healthy respect for alcohol instead of a "you can't have any until you're 21!" attitude, we'd have less teenagers getting shitfaced the second they get their hands on a bottle.