Should I proceed with cloning tonight or wait (Bought solution, not gel...)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tommatt, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ok, so I had everything ready to clone. have my sterilized tools, my water set up with 200ppm veg nutes, rockwool soaked, water at room tempurature, etc....

I go to pour out my rooting gel... only to realise I didn't buy clonex rooting gel, I bought clonex cloning solution! Could have just used this instead of adding nutes, removing water from tank, adding water/etc... to get it to 200 ppm. Thought I had bought the gel.

I really need to get these cloned soon. How important is the gel? Also, I'm guessing now that I realise I have the solution, I'd probably be better off using that and dilluting it as its made for cloning, instead of using my veg nutes at a very low ppm.

I was planning on putting the cutting in water, cutting at 45, letting sit for 15 minutes, dip in gel (which I THOUGHT I bought) then putting in rockwool and covering with plastic dome and turning on veg lights.

Could I just mix my plain water with some of this when I make the 45 degree cut and everything will be ok? I'm late into flowering, waited too long, and only have a few branches to choose from.

I know in budslingers guide he doesn't use root gel, just superthrive. So will adding clonex solution to the water I'm placing the cuttings into be fine?

If not I'm going to have to try and make it to the hydro store tommorow before work, and it will be about 27 hours from now before I can start again. I saw clonex, figured it was the rooting compound.

2. most cloning write ups only say to use ph corrected water... and gel if you have it....

hope the nutes don't pose a problem...

can someone chime in here

3. Well that I did google, and I checked the guide from the hydro shop. Some said none, some said RO water and some superthrive, the google and hydro shop guide I got said 200-400 ppm's.

4. For what it's worth I use plain tap water and a couple drops of Superthrive in my cloning operation and it seems to work great, roots in 6-8 days. I have probably 6 different kinds of rooting gel, powder, solution, etc stacked in the every growing cabinet of obsolete crap and none of them made any difference except for one powder that killed every damed clone it touched. :eek: Hope this helps with your decision.

Happy cloning,

Wolf :yay:

5. Thanks for the help. Went ahead and did it. Decided to just use one branch that had a node with a bud on it (4 nodes total) and the lower part of the branch that had 3 nodes on it. Decided I'd just use one branch and then I have some more I can take from if need be. Figure I only need one to root. I'm guessing I'll be able to see signs of it dying relatively soon if its not working and be able to take another one?

Basically I'm using my DWC bucket which has a water pump with a feed tube, and am adding a plastic cover for humidity. Should be a constant stream of water keeping the rockwool cube/cutting moist.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again guys.

6. Well you know what they say, "If at first you don't succeed, throw a fit and burn down the house." Just kiddin. Keep trying, you'll get it down sooner or later.

Wolf