Should I LST or SCROG?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by yorkweed, Feb 21, 2013.

1. #1 yorkweed, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    Hi all (HELP PLEASE!)

I have 3 regular seed plants in veg for about 17 days now (see pic). They are about 4-5 inches high and I am ready to put them through LST or SCrog. Which should I choose based on my 1g container with a diameter of 6 inches (is this enough to tie down with for LST?) or should I go scrog method. My grow room is 2x2x2.5. My concern with scrog is that my seeds are regular and will not know if they are female until flower. I do not want to remove the male if it will be troublesome. What's all your experience with that? And what training method should I employ?

Attached Files:

2. Look at the LST guide and my grow journal in my sig. You should LST & ScroG its what im doing. Im 7 weeks into veg just switched to HPS. check it out.

3. [quote name='"aj69420g"']Look at the LST guide and my grow journal in my sig. You should LST & ScroG its what im doing. Im 7 weeks into veg just switched to HPS. check it out.[/quote]

Nice grow journal man, looks like you have a good following. Does this mean I should Lst first around the pot and then as it fills in throughout the pot (its a smaller 1 gallon pot with 6 inch diameter, so it won't take as long as the typical LST I'm assuming) and becomes full I go ahead and start to scrog the bud site shoots as they begin to climb toward the lights and also the scrog? Did that make sense ?

4. Are you planning any type of perpetual grow or a mother plant of sorts? If you can, take a bunch of clones (make sure u know which one is which), then flower the seeds right way. If male, destroy (remove) the plant and it's clones. This way you can spend time on growing and training female plants and not wasting time, nutrients and money growing males.

If you go ahead with seed to scrog, try individual screens for each plant. If male, you can remove the plant & screen. Otherwise, the plant should be removable from the screen if you catch the male in time. It won't have reached too far through the screen to entangle any possible females. or just hack it out?

5. [quote name='"2Genesis"']Are you planning any type of perpetual grow or a mother plant of sorts? If you can, take a bunch of clones (make sure u know which one is which), then flower the seeds right way. If male, destroy (remove) the plant and it's clones. This way you can spend time on growing and training female plants and not wasting time, nutrients and money growing males.

If you go ahead with seed to scrog, try individual screens for each plant. If male, you can remove the plant & screen. Otherwise, the plant should be removable from the screen if you catch the male in time. It won't have reached too far through the screen to entangle any possible females. or just hack it out?[/quote]

Good call, I will grow 1 plant per scrog to make sure seed males won't cause a major cleanup project. Check out this sweet "scrog" from the dollar store. It's actually a locker shelve but it's perfect for a scrog! Btw can you take a look at my last post and let me know your insight? Thx in advance 2Gen

Attached Files:

6. What size are the holes of the scrog?
    How far from the grow medium are you placing the screen?

I am topping, LST is a different game in practice. I am not topping anymore as I am going to start scrogging (screen training to target a bud site per hole in the screen). If LSTing, train them to grow as many individual bud sites as you desire. Stop training when you think its ready, stop and continue training the plant tops into your scrog sites. Depending on your genetics, you need to make the call on when you think your screen will fill out the rest of the screen after you switch to flower. The most common I've seen is about 50-70% filled up through veg until they get flipped. After the growth stretch in first two weeks, all bud sites should be visible through through their own scrog site. As the flowers bloom, remove unnecessary growth below the screen.

I am in the middle of my first grow, but this is what I've learned upon reading other threads on this forum. I hope it works out, but it's all a learning curve. As a disclaimer, I'd recommend you read as much as I have. And listen/learn from alternative 'advanced' growing members. And not just from a novice who has read a lot, but hasn't even harvested a gram.

7. I would advise 3x3 nets and non metal. even painted metal can rust. Rust spores survive and spread on plants. so thats no good hate to burst your bubble. Will probably work, I just wouldnt chance it. Some good advice up above, hes right in his summary of scrog growing. although I do not agree with his idea of wasting time growing males. I have used regular seeds my entire grow career, and 1 feminized seed. The 1 fem seed was super sensitive to stress so it wasn't for me as I love training. So I've heard all these hilarious stories about people growing 15 regular seeds and getting 10 males and it always makes me laugh.

If you dont stress your plants anywhere near the beginning of the maturing sexing process you are less likely to get males. I've had great success with this. My largest grow before this was 4 plants and all 4 went fem from regular seeds. And the last 4 grows before that were 2-4 plants and I havent gotten a male since I bought my feminized seed in 09 and got a hermie when I first joined GC.

All I know is if you LST and scrog you maximize your colas and yield. Doing the exact same methods done in my Multi Cola LST guide, I have yielded over 8oz dry per plant.

8. Do individual and you can spin and move them for water and what not works well

image-3826767718.jpg

Sent from iPhone 5

9. [quote name='"Freeborn"']Do individual and you can spin and move them for water and what not works well

Sent from iPhone 5[/quote]

Ok should i do both scrog and lst at the same time? I'm using 9x 23w cfl's. is this enough to employ both methods in a reasonable veg time of 6 weeks

10. [quote name='"2Genesis"']What size are the holes of the scrog?
    How far from the grow medium are you placing the screen?

I am topping, LST is a different game in practice. I am not topping anymore as I am going to start scrogging (screen training to target a bud site per hole in the screen). If LSTing, train them to grow as many individual bud sites as you desire. Stop training when you think its ready, stop and continue training the plant tops into your scrog sites. Depending on your genetics, you need to make the call on when you think your screen will fill out the rest of the screen after you switch to flower. The most common I've seen is about 50-70% filled up through veg until they get flipped. After the growth stretch in first two weeks, all bud sites should be visible through through their own scrog site. As the flowers bloom, remove unnecessary growth below the screen.

I am in the middle of my first grow, but this is what I've learned upon reading other threads on this forum. I hope it works out, but it's all a learning curve. As a disclaimer, I'd recommend you read as much as I have. And listen/learn from alternative 'advanced' growing members. And not just from a novice who has read a lot, but hasn't even harvested a gram.[/quote]

The size of the net is 1.5 x 1.5 inches. Is this enough? And the grow medium will be about 5.5 inches away from the screen ( i dont have the option to change that but Is that enough or should it be higher? How long should I keep these plants in veg for?

11. Till your screen is full and once all the tops of the plant are through the screen spread out across the screen then still let it veg for another week or week and a half

If not you have your buds growing on the top and bottom of the screen like mine didn't let them veg long enough but oh well still will smoke

Sent from iPhone 5

12. ^^ he is right there the space you have should be fine. 6 weeks will be plenty of time to veg. But your aiming for the screen to fill, if that takes 5 weeks then so be it. Remember it will grow twice in size once flowering so make sure you have room.

13. If your screen is only 5.5" from your medium, I'd ditch the lst. This plant is going to be growing horizontally for the entire second half of your veg under the screen. AJ is right, the metal is going to cut into your plant, especially with the training necessary for your screen being low.

Since it's young, start training your main stem before it's too thick and will break. Take 30 mins and search tutorials on scrogging and lst.

14. Your right, it will be forced to have her skirt up once it starts filling a canopy into the screen. I just would use some pipe cleaners to keep uneven limbs down to keep your canopy even once the last part of veg is coming in it helps keep everything OCD even. I would recommend topping before or on the 5th node/ leaf-set. then keeping all the limbs trained until all shoots are within 1-4 inches of the screen. Meaning if they were to rise, the screen canopy would be filled. At that point I usually release the hounds and pull off all training for a few days prior to flowering.

Just some extra tips Lookup NotTheMama here on GC and checkout their mobydick scrog journal. 1 plant, 400w HID, filled in a 3x3 canopy and is looking beautiful!

Hope some of this helps.

15. [quote name='"aj69420g"']Your right, it will be forced to have her skirt up once it starts filling a canopy into the screen. I just would use some pipe cleaners to keep uneven limbs down to keep your canopy even once the last part of veg is coming in it helps keep everything OCD even. I would recommend topping before or on the 5th node/ leaf-set. then keeping all the limbs trained until all shoots are within 1-4 inches of the screen. Meaning if they were to rise, the screen canopy would be filled. At that point I usually release the hounds and pull off all training for a few days prior to flowering.

Just some extra tips Lookup NotTheMama here on GC and checkout their mobydick scrog journal. 1 plant, 400w HID, filled in a 3x3 canopy and is looking beautiful!

Hope some of this helps.[/quote]

I have topped the 5th set, so once the 2 shoots come through, I will solely train those? Or do I also train other branches? Not sure which other ones I can train though cause all other leaf sets are not long enough to pull or pull down and the top 5th set will still be higher which would cause auxins to remain. Can you clarify when you said "keeping all the limbs trained until all shoots are within 1-4 inches of the screen"

16. Good you topped it! Yes any limbs they take off you train any ones you can.

To clarify keep all the limbs pinned in whatever direction you have them until they are as wide as desired so if they were to raise up it would fill your screen. Colas dont have to be popping through the screen, colas can be 1-4 inches away. Cause when you release them they will rise up in 1 day significantly.

17. [quote name='"aj69420g"']Good you topped it! Yes any limbs they take off you train any ones you can.

To clarify keep all the limbs pinned in whatever direction you have them until they are as wide as desired so if they were to raise up it would fill your screen. Colas dont have to be popping through the screen, colas can be 1-4 inches away. Cause when you release them they will rise up in 1 day significantly.[/quote]

What is the difference between a limb and a cola tho? At stage of veg how do I identify a limb and cola?

18. Cola = any stem with new growth at the tip they reach up and will eventually make bud.
    Limb = any stem connecting a new growing cola with bud site to your main stem

What I mean is Dont train it for a while since you topped. let the new colas pop out. once you have a few colas popping out of the sides of your plant train those. You can get anywhere from 4-15 of them from topping where you did. Thats the only node I ever top on (the 5th) and always get good results.

My MultiCola LST Guide has pictures of when I trimmed the 5th node, and exactly how each cola popped out and how I pinned them down. Its very useful. Also in right before my last update I uploaded a pic of my plants cluster fuck of stems I got from my methods of training. So go see if its worth it to you, alot of people tell me its useful.

Alot of people have similar problems thinking its this big complicated thing. Your not asking any questions you shouldnt. I think the way you probe for information shows me your intelligence level. Excited to see what your capable of!

Lemme know if you got anymore questions buddy :D

19. Not the best of pics because its off my phone but I have been lst-ing for 3 week and I like the effect it looks like scrog to me now but without the mesh hahaa :yay: hgh(1).jpg