Should I leave the pump on constantly?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by markfleener, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Someone lent me one of their tower gardens to try out at an assisted living facility for the mentally disabled in Sarasota, Florida. We've never grown any food before, so I'm wondering, what do you think about leaving the pump on to cycle constantly instead of using a timer? My friend said to turn it on for 15 minutes every hour or two, but I wondered about just leaving it on constantly. Also, I figured that I would start out the seeds in rockwool, watering them manually, as needed, then put them in the tower once the first true leafs start to show, or do you think I should just start them in the tower?

https://www.towergarden.com/content...ct.jpg/1466199451470.jpg/1466199451452@2x.jpg

2. if you run it constantly, from the plant's point of view it's more like deep water culture. to get the most out of aeroponics the roots need to have substantial access to air.

3. The tower garden is more vertical nft than aero. I would run it on a basic segment timer, say 15 on and 30 off and go from there. The plants will need a decent amount of root showing outside the rockwool before you put them into the tower. They need to be in the path of the water that runs down the inside wall of the tower.