Should I harvest?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by DoublebakeDD, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I realize I really can't get an answer until I post some pics but I will do that as soon as I'm home from work. I have a pineapple kush plant about 6 weeks into flower and a fan fell and cut one of the lower branches off so I decided to dry and cure the bud from that branch and smoked it and it turned out to be some of the most potent dank I've ever smoked. So here's the question; with a pheno that has a natural high CBD level is it better to harvest later to accent the trait or harvest early so it's a mix of a heady high as well as some CBD? I know it's early and I want to post some picture to see if anyone thinks my yield will really be effected if I harvest soon.. I just really like the high my sample bud gave and am worried I'm gonna ruin it by waiting too long. The trichs are still mostly all clear with one a handful of red hairs. Any help is appreciated

2. Just wait 2 more weeks or if you like what you have now...harvest. Its really up to you and without pics useless ! I gave my friend a sample nug at day 50 no flush and he told me it tasted great and got him stoned, buds were still pretty wet too.

go for it !

3. ForumRunner_20120708_082006.png

ForumRunner_20120708_082015.png

ForumRunner_20120708_082031.png

ForumRunner_20120708_082057.png

Here is some pics. They aren't clear but it's the best I can do with my phone. It may be beneficial if someone could post s picture of their buds at about 6 weeks in. I bought a microscope but am having a hard time deciphering what color they are. Some seem crystal clear and some randomly seem brownish red so it's making me a little nervous.

4. Also I forgot to mention, the tops of all those branches are really fat but there's space between the buds unlike a lot of other plants I've seen on here that fill the whole cola. I'm wondering if it will eventually fill in or if it's just a genetic thing..

5. I hear 50% red/amber/brownish color 50% cloudy is a good time to harvest. I think you can still get a week or so out of her before you chop her down.

6. Just by looking I can tell those aren't ready, by the pistils poking out so much. In a few weeks they will descend in and nugs will poke out instead.

7. Give it another 2-3 weeks you'll be thankful.

8. #8 Numbness2005, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    [quote name='"DoublebakeDD"']

Here is some pics. They aren't clear but it's the best I can do with my phone. It may be beneficial if someone could post s picture of their buds at about 6 weeks in. I bought a microscope but am having a hard time deciphering what color they are. Some seem crystal clear and some randomly seem brownish red so it's making me a little nervous.[/quote]

Mate honestly, I know you said you liked the bud how it was but you still have alot of weight gaining and swelling to do yet. The last 2 weeks of their lives they'll start properly swelling the hairs will turn predominantly red and will start to recede back into the calyx which by the way will also be all swollen. I can tell you you have at least 2 weeks left on those at least! I'd give them another 3 or so just keep an eye on your trichs you can still harvest at mostly cloudy if your not wanting a real couch lock stone.

You stand to loose quite an amount from your yield if you chop now mate. I'd wait but that's just me ;)

Hope that helps buddy enjoy your ganja what ever you do

9. Thanks a ton everyone! Honestly, I really appreciate the advice. I'm already very happy I waited because they fattened up a bunch more over the last few days. Right now im at about 20-25% red hairs and I know that's not the best indicator but I bought a 60-100x microscope and my hands shake way to much to see anything besides a split second of (what seem to be clear but I can hardly tell.) Resin glands. Anyway,

ForumRunner_20120710_214026.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214038.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214106.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214122.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214133.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214219.png

ForumRunner_20120710_214346.png

Heres some updated pics.

10. [quote name='"DoublebakeDD"']Thanks a ton everyone! Honestly, I really appreciate the advice. I'm already very happy I waited because they fattened up a bunch more over the last few days. Right now im at about 20-25% red hairs and I know that's not the best indicator but I bought a 60-100x microscope and my hands shake way to much to see anything besides a split second of (what seem to be clear but I can hardly tell.) Resin glands. Anyway,

Heres some updated pics.[/quote]

Youre very welcome dude. Hope you decided to keep them going a bit longer ;)

11. Sup bro, it's J. Looking really good. Definitely still some ripening left. You WILL notice the difference in the trichomes even without a scope... the whole bud will start to shift towards a golden hue, noticeably. And while hairs are not the perfect indicator of trichome ripeness, if you want to guarantee you get that last burst of swelling that the calyxes do at the end, (and you DO want to , lol) you can pretty much go by the hairs as someone above said. You just wait for those hairs to start turning red and they start to recede back into the bud. You will see the difference when your calyxes swell... they inflate from a sort of football shape into something much rounder, more like a basketball, when they swell. It's pretty obvious once you see it. Not so easy to wait, but trust me, you're not in danger of over-ripening yet. Sit on it, you will be glad you did.

12. Thanks for the advice man. As always it's great hearing from you!

13. Here's some updated pictures for a week later, (7 weeks from introducing 12/12.) Last week I received responses to harvest from 1 week- 3 weeks so I will probably harvest next weekend. After that last explosion of growth noted above, there hasnt seemed to be any new change in size (per the last 2 days.) Does growth sometimes come in waves near the end or is my plant slowing down until its finally done growing? Thanks again for all your helpful responses.

ForumRunner_20120715_150742.png

ForumRunner_20120715_150800.png

ForumRunner_20120715_150822.png

ForumRunner_20120715_150836.png

ForumRunner_20120715_150858.png

ForumRunner_20120715_150910.png

14. Also I know its impossible to determine for sure until its dried out but any guesses at how much this one plant will yeild?

15. What kind of lighting are you using and at what wattage?
    Also what kind of nutrients are you using?
    Those will help us get a better idea.

My best guess without that info is 1.5-2oz dry but I don't really have a great perspective of bud size since we don't have a relative object to compare. I recommended taking pics with objects like Bic lighters or soda cans/bottles so we know how large it is.

Also have you started flushing yet? I really recommend it for at least your last week, otherwise depending on your nutrient and strength you may get bud that tastes like dirt.

16. [quote name='"Jvo"']What kind of lighting are you using and at what wattage?
    Also what kind of nutrients are you using?
    Those will help us get a better idea.

My best guess without that info is 1.5-2oz dry but I don't really have a great perspective of bud size since we don't have a relative object to compare. I recommended taking pics with objects like Bic lighters or soda cans/bottles so we know how large it is.

Also have you started flushing yet? I really recommend it for at least your last week, otherwise depending on your nutrient and strength you may get bud that tastes like dirt.[/quote]

I'm using a 400 watt metal halide. (I know I will have a slightly smaller yeild but I choose more potent buds over yeild any day.) Thats a good idea about items to show relativity of the buds, I will do that later at lights on. About flushing; I use organic nutes from the bio bizz line. I stopped using everything except topmax and so far the sample buds tasted pretty good and they werent even cured so i will stop with the topmax today probably and just use water for the next week or so until harvest. Thanks a lot for your input it was helpful!

17. No fer sure you need to wait some more the pistils haven't receeded enough