Should I go for HPS/NH instead of CFL's Like I was planning?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SuperPhreak, Feb 19, 2013.

1. #1 SuperPhreak, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    I posted earlier in lighting section to see if anyone saw something wrong with my light plan.

Someone ended up replying recommending I get an HPS/MH kit instead. This interested me, because it is roughly the price of the cfl bulbs + equipment price. Would it be safe in my box? What kind of carbon filter + fan should I get? Obviously the 4" one from my original plans won't do because the cooling tube on the HPS/MH kit I am looking at is 6".

The one I am looking at is Purple Apollo Horticulture 400w Grow Light Dimmable Ballast with Detachable Fins Cool Tube Hood Reflector and Metal Halide(MH) and High Pressure Sodium(HPS) Light Bulbs, 120v Power Cord + Rope Ratchet: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Now this looks good to me, but is it enough/too much for 2 plants in my cab? (the cab is about 16 cubic feet *D 18"; W 34.5"; H 46"*)

Also I looked around on there and there is the same kit, but with the 600w version. Would that be way to much for this case? For some reason they are almost the exact same price.

Depending on reflector styles the 600 can be cheaper than the 400?

400W with cooltube
    400W without cooltube
    600W with cooltube
    600W without cooltube

Only reason I'm considering this is because my CFL setup will be wack and just as pricey. I mine as well go in for the good stuff at the prices.

2. 400w, and use the fan to cool it in a cool tube, the space is nearly too small without using an air cooled reflector to offset temps..

Why didnt we discuss this before? You still may have heat issues I fear at that wattage, the math doesnt change..

You could get a dimmable 400w hps, dial down to 75% and you are money...

Holler

3. [quote name='"ridge"racer']400w, and use the fan to cool it in a cool tube, the space is nearly too small without using an air cooled reflector to offset temps..

Why didnt we discuss this before? You still may have heat issues I fear at that wattage, the math doesnt change..

You could get a dimmable 400w hps, dial down to 75% and you are money...

Holler[/quote]

We mentioned it but I kind of blew of the subject because I thought it would cost way more than this. The 400w with cooling is dimmable, but any ideas on how powerful of an inline I would need? I have no idea how to calculate

4. That's one of the ones I'm looking at I'm more worried about what kind of Carbon filter + fan I will need. It's so confusing looking at all of this. I have been online like 50 hours since Saturday researching. All this info is so confusing all at once.

5. :hello:that's the ticket, though! :hello:

6. I know haha. I want to learn. I just really am at a loss at this point my brain is farting out. I just want to get my shit together and order my stuff so I can start. I am on a forced tbreak for a couple months so the budget I normally set aside for weed is now for this. I figure its the perfect opportunity. I have about $500 to setup my grow.

7. Just saw your first thread...oops

But hey, that's two separate recommendations for the same light!

Afraid I don't know about the filters and inlines though :/

8. I read somewhere I need to be able to clear the room in 5 min with whatever fan. Since we are talking 16 cubic feet, it won't take much. I just don't know which brands are good, or quiet, and like if I need more power to keep the light cool.

9. Twice per min.. Bet on it, always over ventilate and dial down if needed, never be under ventilated.....

Read on loss from static pressure...

10. May I ask what program you used to make those pictures? Very interested as this will help me design my next grow op

11. Ctfu that is so funny that it is Sketchup
    I'm newly out of high school and I took a digital design class. That is the program we used, I'm like a pro at it all ready
    And in gonna download yours.
    Thanks

12. No problem bro! You see the skate ramps I've uploaded? All of them me and a couple buddies made in real life. Sketchup rocks.