Should I Dispose Of My Rooster?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by OrganicSamurai, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Good Morning GC community, I am currently dealing with a aggressive rooster. I know this is a pets section, but I didn't know where else to post. Well, they are my pets in some sense. My Barred Rock rooster ( Frank ) has been a pretty good guy and has done well taking care of my hens ( they are around 1 1/2 years ), but in the last few months he has gotten aggressive towards me. They have a little barn house, but i let them free range around the property during the day. So whenever I come around the hens he gets aggressive and stances up on me and if I get within a certain distance he comes at me and attacks ( and he's a big mofo...). Well lately I have been just keeping my distance and giving them their respective space so we don't have any problems, but this morning he took the liberty of claiming my porch ( like I it was Crimea or something...) and I had to herd him away with walking stick ( nicely of course ).

Then when I tried to feed them this morning I turned my back for a second and he went after me again... Luckily I got out of the way and pushed him away with a walking stick again. This has been going on for probably 3-4 months. So at this point I am getting pretty fed up with his bull and considering taking care of him, but I like my hens to have a rooster so they feel comfortable and secure because where I live is near a National Forest and they are a decent amount of predators. Honestly, I really don't want to kill him or harm him ( because I actually really like him ), but he is slowly been backing me into a corner. Hypothetically I could just keep them in their barn/enclosed area, but since it is winter time that grazing area is kind of worn out so I like to let them free range and when I go in the barn to change food and water it's like me and him are in the octagon together and I have to keep the side eye on him ( because the building is small). So I am hoping someone here with experience with chickens can give some advice so I don't have to say goodbye to Frank.

2. I have a handsome Rooster named Asshole. We don't see eye to eye but I stand my ground and stare him down for a few seconds with stretched arms, he will cower and know who is boss. Yours will too after a few days. Asshole is still a prick but he doesn't spend all day plotting his attack on me like in the past. Stare him down until he starts scratching then go about your business.
    DSC_0071.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Aren't they lovely? :)
    I'd do the same if another male would get into my territory, specially when me females are around :D
    Just give him some time and space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. looks like you have a alpha rooster my dad when i was younger got me 2 fish 1 of them bullied the other one so he put him in a pillow case and bashed hes head in i cried but back to you maybe look to see if you could trade for him from other farm people not sure where that would be best though

5. Thank you for that advice. I will try that. I really don't want to get rid of him and man what a good looking rooster you got!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Isn't their a national; or civic holiday coming up?

Tasty dinner :p

Or Valentine's Day, why go out when you could have a nice fresh hom,e cooked meal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I actually just used Homesteader's advice a few times already this morning and he has backed off every time. It takes him a little bit, but I stand my grand and hold up my arms and give him the stank eye and he backs off. So a few days of that and I think we should be good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I grew up on a farm and had the same problem with our roosters. They usually learned to fuck off after getting kicked a few times. (I do not condone animal abuse, I was 7 and didn't really know how else to fight a chicken)

That being said I've never really had much luck with roosters. Almost every rooster we get eventually turns super aggressive to not only people but other roosters and chickens, so they usually get sent to the chopping block unfortunately

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's good to hear. It would be really unfortunate if you had to take a rooster you cared about to chopping block. Glad you're safe from that trouble

• Like Like x 1
  10. My friend had a rooster that crowed 24/7/365. She wanted him to STFU so she put him in a pet carrier and took him to El Pollo Loco and set him on the counter in front of the rotiserri to look at all the chicken carcasses being cooked. She reminded him that pollo means "Rooster" in spanish. Then he saw the mexican chef with carving knives in his hands. He has not made a sound since.

11. I think a tasty meals a better idea. ;)

12. First, you don't eat roosters typically.

Second,
    That's really fucked up to tell somebody to eat their pet man.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Philippino's and Chinese do..........

And why not it looks like a chicken, maybe a little tuffet and the asshole might not be as loose :p

14. Chicken Kicker !

15. Roosters wanted to throw hands so hands were thrown, what can I say? Also even as a 7 year old I couldn't justify running from a chicken lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Haha when I was in the keys there were roosters everywhere..... All up in people's windows being as loud as they could 24/7 and some were not the nicest in the world.... Great place though... P. S. All the gas station chicken there is tiny.... And there happen to be no hens anywhere on those damn islands I'm just saying put two and two together

17. mine started that so i chased him down every time he came near me. he gave up the alpha crap pretty quick

18. #18 Tommy McCain, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    I have a Jubilee Orpington rooster named Panama Jack. He did the same thing to me last spring. It started with him not liking just me, which I really did not care. Then he built up a little steam and attacked the wife, I had some concern but she can take care of herself. Next was the kids and that is where I drew the line. Panama Jack got a light work boot kick and then I chased him out of the coop. That solved it. Occasionally he wants to "beef" but now he knows who the boss is. Had a Barred Rock rooster before but he was a "sweetheart" named Leroy Brown. :biggrin:

Edit: Just realized this thread was from way back last winter...Bolt