Should I cut my girls back?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KGB Kermit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Should I trim them back?

I see loads of people trimming back to sticks lol

Any advice would be great. First time growing :) 20180912_110356~2.jpg 20180912_110417~2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Most people trim bushes that have been trained. Your plant is pretty thin to begin with. You may benefit from removing a few bigger leaves blocking lower budsites but there just isn’t much to defoliate here

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That's cool, you say "thin" do you mean not a lot of leaves? or have I cocked something up along the way?

It is my first grow currently day 30 of flower.
    CBD OG Kush & GSC

In your opinion you think they look ok?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There doesn't seem to be anything to trim. I'm not sure what your reason for trimming would be, but if you do I suggest not much considering your plant is in flower. Next grow you might want to consider training so you can best utilize your light - one tall cola doesn't get it indoors. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. She looks healthy, just not gonna yield much. Research training techniques to maximize yield for next grow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I respectfully disagree. Granted, more light will increase yield, but creating an even canopy will increase the yield quite a bit as well regardless of the light. It will give the OP the most yield possible with the light he/she has. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I've a vivaspectre par600. Trying it for the first grow. I'm thinking of using it as a veg light and getting a few QB's. Money is the killer though...they are not cheap lol

8. Hi ya Mick,

You've helped me a ton throughout this grow so big up and many thanks!

I did try to create an even canopy on both. I don't think the OG was an awful first attempt .

That said the Girl scout Cookies just did what it wanted...I managed a few extra bud sites from topping but I'm not sure if the strain just grows tall and skinny. Where I got the seeds from did say the GSC isn't one to train and would give reasonable but not great yields.

While I have you here lol I posted another question about to am flushing. If you get a chance I'd really appreciate your advice.
    Anyways take care and again many thanks

9. You're right, of course. Training will increase the number of colas but not the quality, really. I should have been more clarifying. The light will be a limiting factor, though to how developed those buds will be. Quality is diminished. Not as dense and not as big of buds will be produced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. There’s nothing to trim, you might want to bend her over, tie her down, lower lights, let her GROW️looks good don’t hurt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

11. Thanks for the heads up. The other picture is the OG. Im a little worried becuase its so short and that the light wont penetrate as well. Can't lower the light as you say without bending.

Speaking of bending I was always told not to bend/train during flower?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've never found quality to be diminished by topping and training and I've grown the same strains straight up and ScroGed many times.

You can flop tops over in flower no problem and I've done that many times too. Just roll the stem between your fingers until it gets soft for a couple inches worth and let it fall over. If anything that top cola gets even bigger than it would if left standing and the smaller colas on the side branches get larger too.

Then you can get the light down lower tho you can put smaller plants on something to get them closer to the light as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sorry how far along is she? How far is light from plant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

14. Not gonna lie, first grow and it is starting to feel like forever lol. sounds a little scary flopping it over but I'm up for it.

How far down the stem would you weaken it? In line with the lower bud or a couple of nodes higher?

If I decide against it, I will def raise the OG up me thinks :) Cheers! (Why my addled brain didn't think of that I've no idea lol)

15. They are both 30 days into flower.

Approx 65 for the OG and 70 for the GSC needed.

The light is my issue, I've no room to go any higher. Currently about 20 inches. Pretty sure I'm going to have to bend and take the risk, room is an issue

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. They look fine tho I think the buds are a little small for 30 days flowering. Is that 30 days since the flip or 30 days since flowers started? I count from the flip myself.

If the tall plant is the one with CBD the buds look normal. I've got some CBD crosses and the yields are way lower than any regular plants I grow. My OTTO#1 girl has pathetic yields but I'll be using her to make some crosses with some of my old faves to try to get CBD versions of them.

What are you feeding your plants? Any bloom booster and if so when did you use it? I feed mine some Big Bud a week before I flip to 12/12 to "prime the pump" so to say and it seems to get buds popping good by a week after the flip. By the end of the stretch they are golf ball sized on top.

I wouldn't be removing any leaves. They are your plants solar panels and make food to feed the shaded buds which grow fine in the shade if they get lots of food. There's not an overabundance of leaves there as it is.

Overall I'd say you've done a pretty good job of growing those girls. goodwork.gif

17. I'd do it right were I drew the line or maybe the space above that. You want to pinch the stem between your thumb and first two fingers and roll while crushing it so you can feel the stem crush a bit. Hold the upper part with your other hand while you do that and try to get that whole section of stem between the nodes soft before letting it fall over easy. Could even do the space above as well so it has a couple bends. Don't freak if the stem splits open a bit as that happens most often. After a few days the tops will start turning up again and those buds just below the bend will fill out a lot more as will the side branch buds. Not pretty but very effective and no more worries about height issues as you're over the stretch and the only height gain will be from bud stacking.

BendingPoint.jpg
    The first time I did a top like that was by accident and it freaked me out. That was almost 20 years ago and I've done it on purpose dozens of times since with never a regret. Cannabis is one tough plant. :)

Just make sure you get the stem soft and mushy feeling for a good inch or two before letting it bend over and it'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks :) I'm actually pleased with them as I do NOT have green fingers lol

They are 30 days from flip so still 35 - 40 to go

The OG which is the smaller at the back is the CBD strain. The tall thin is the GSC (Apparently they yield at the lower end anyways) I added a top down view of the OG also (that seems to be more of a table of buds so training kind of worked on that one). I'm not going to trim the GSC, regards the OG I'm unsure (Either way I've got to get it lifted up closer to the light)

Viparspectre Par 600 Led growing in Coco,

3 part GH
    Raw silica
    Raw Cal Mag
    Bud candy
    Big Bud
    Black strap Molasses
    PhD 6.0

I've seen many posts detailing the flowering phase...hell that's why the girls are still alive

I've seen everyone keeping an eye on trychomes (establishing when ready) and stopping nutrients, then only feeding ph'd water until the end.

I understand checking the trychomes with a jewellers loop (not put into practice yet), it's the flush that is confusing me

Do I wait until I think they are ready to be harvested then keep growing a further 2 weeks with just PH water? (2 week flush)
    or
    Am i supposed to predict when they will be finished and stop feeding nutrients and start the flush a fortnight before they are ready?