Should I Buy A Used Car Or Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by LoveisKind, Jul 22, 2014.

1. #1 LoveisKind, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    Basically, I am 22 years old and I really need a new vehicle. Not sure what kind which is why I am asking for your input. Anyway, my current car has a messed up engine and I must get rid of it and I've had it for 5 years. Better sooner than later  to sell it since it still runs so I can sell as a project car. I am currently looking on craigslist and I've been looking for a few weeks and my price range is $1,000-$1,300. Not much, I know, but I have to pay other miscellaneous expenses as well. I am looking for something with no issues and I would see cars at times that are okay, but were sold so quickly and ads taken down the same day, it's hard to find a decent car at that price.

I've seen a few motorcycles within my price range with no issues at all. My dad is a mechanic and he actually bought my current car from Craigslist and he didn't even know it had issues until years later (ex. radiator and engine issues). Anyway, here's the pros and cons if I was to buy a car or motorcycle...:

Car:

Pros:
    -My dad is a mechanic and can do general maintenance.. but I am considering going to a shop and paying for maintenance myself since he is a lot more busy now at his 2 jobs which means he is a lot more irritated these days and it's harder to communicate with him.
    -My dad will pay for insurance

Cons:
    -The car could be a lemon like the car I have now
    -The mpg may be a lot less
    -My dad can come to check out the car, but as I said, he didn't even know of the issues with my current car when he got it for me

Motorcycle:

Pros:
    -Can still ride on the interstate
    -Driving can be a bit funner
    -More MPG
    -Weather where I live isn't that bad. It rains at times, but it's usually during early morning hours, midday, or late in the evening which are all times that I am inside working, school, or home. So, the bike would be parked. Winter time isn't that bad and I have ridden a motorcycle in cold weather before.
    -I could possibly borrow my brother's car if weather is really bad.

Cons:
    Possible maintenance costs (Not sure how much a mechanic is)
    Cost of insurance (I would have to pay my own)
    Cost of gear (I would buy a helmet and gloves for now)
    Cost of licence plate tag
    I don't have anyone to take with me who is an expert at motorcycles, but I know enough to know what a motorcycle should sound and look like from my motorcycle safety course.

What is your input and which do you think is a better buy?

2. A car so you don't die.

3. Get a car.  Motorcycle should only be your main vehicle if you already have a car/truck.  Although I've never had a bike I can see it becoming a hassle to constantly be getting rides from people just because the weather isn't good.   What about winter?  Doesn't it get cold/cool where you are at?  Do you never go through drive thrus or get groceries or haul anything in your car?

4. Good point. It's a bitch looking for a car though with my financial restrictions at the moment.

5. Find a cheap reliable beater what's your local craigslist?
    I'll help ya out

6. Buy a used, guaranteed engine at a junk yard and have them (or another mechanic) install it. :smoke:

7. If it doesn't snow where you are, typically they get insane gas mileage compared to a car. Depending on where you probably get cheaper insurance than us up north. Motorcycles are small and easy to fix. Oil change will be the most expensive part. 
    Or get a cheap ass civic or corolla. In manual, there will be less problems.

8. Yea i get it.  Is a bank loan out of the question?

9. fuck it go with the bike. YOLO. 

10. #10 LoveisKind, Jul 22, 2014
    I really don't want a loan since I am dealing with student loans at the moment. I am graduating in December and don't want to deal with added debt right now. Also, with the fact that I don't have any credit would probably make me ineligible/have a loan with a high interest rate I am assuming.

11. Its an investment you know?  Get something good now to save you in the long run.  But yea I get you don't want to go into more debt.

12. #12 LoveisKind, Jul 22, 2014
    Ha, I wish I could get something good now.. but this upcoming semester, I actually owe the school $1,300 and I have to pay graduation fees and books for my last semester. So, I need a vehicle to go back and forth from school and work really.. I can only work 15 hours since I have 5 classes b/c the damn school canceled a class I was supposed to take this summer, so I can't really work as much as I want to.

13. motorcycles are the coolest in the rain!

but really. get a car if you rather minor bruising maybe broken bones in an accident. get a motorcycle if you would rather get skinned alive with broken bones in an accident. but then again, im a man of practicality. but i also drive a Geo Metro. i have a couple air bags and seatbelts. safety is pretty much up to  me in that tin can.

14. Yea, I am totally decided on a car... but I do hope to get another motorcycle one day for leisure.

15. Good luck to you, but you should really choose a crappy running car over a bike imo.

16. Yea, unfortunately.... :(

17. Do you live somewhere where it gets cold? Get a car

18. Do you live somewhere that you can ride year round, other than rain? If so, another option would be a scooter.

I commute 30 miles every day on my Vespa, and ride another 100-200 miles on the weekends. (@ 80 mpg). They have a lot more storage space then a motorcycle, and not all scooters are ridiculous looking, lol.

That being said, I couldn't rely on it as my only source of transportation. It gets too cold here.

19. Don't get a motorcycle unless you can afford all the gear. And if you're buying new it will be over a g for everything
    It's not worth losing your skin over

With your restrictions a car is probably better for now

20. You don't have to buy full gear to buy a bike... Wear a helmet, old ankle boots you got around, jeans, and a jacket. I ride my bike far more than I drive but a car can be driven in all weather; I will only ride my bike down to 40 degrees and forget it if theres any rain.