Should I bring this into a headshop?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by xHighImStoned, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I wanted to look for a an ash catcher to fit my bong. I don't the size of my down stem and the last ash catcher i tried to buy didn't fit and I was pissed. Would it be ok for me to bring my down stem (cleaned with sea salt) into a head shop to fit an AC before I buy it? I mean SPOTLESS too, or do you think a certain smell could give something away or be sketchy? Thanks guys

2. place the joint end of your downstem on a piece of papeer

now trace the outside of the joint onto the paper
    there ya go.
    theres only a few sizes that are available 

just take that in and compare.

3. [quote name="Kiefsweat" post="19198881" timestamp="1387559840"]place the joint end of your downstem on a piece of papeernow trace the outside of the joint onto the paperthere ya go.theres only a few sizes that are available just take that in and compare.[/quote]This I have done it multiple times the dude knows exactly what I'm doin if I walk in with a nearly blank piece of paper

4. do this most shops will not allow any outside glass in no matter how clean

5. As long as the downstem is COMPLETELY clean with no resin you will be fine. I do this all the time ( always clean of course). I have even brought my entire (clean) bong in and the employees will help me find which bowl and ashcatcher will fit and look best with my piece. And also make sure the ashcatcher will have the proper clearances to fit properly. As most head shops have a non-return policy they will sually understand. However to be safe I ALWAYS bring it in inside a case and ask if it will be alright to have them help BEFORE I remove it from the case. If you want to play it even safer I would leave it in my car and go in ask ask first ensuring them it is clean/spotless before bringing it in. Places around me are more than willing to help as it will more than not result in a sale and happy customer!

6. There are only 2 common sizes, a 18.8 (sometimes also called 18, or 19 these are all the same) and a 14.5 (also called a 14).  

Take a dime.  A dime will fit inside the larger one but not the smaller one.

The other size you might see once in awhile is a 29.2.  

7. If you can stick your finger in it, its an 18. If you can stick 2 fingers in, find a new girl. Err, i mean, thats a 29. A hole smaller than your pinkey = 14

8. Thanks guys. Does this mean a 14.5 would fit a 14?

9. Id call and ask. Some shops can be anal.Sent from The Gods.

10. its pretty easy to guage though. I mean small one is 14 big one is 18 those are the most common joints

11. [quote name="waynesumner" post="19207679" timestamp="1387682656"]its pretty easy to guage though. I mean small one is 14 big one is 18 those are the most common joints[/quoteI hear this a lot, and that's what I was thinking..but I bought the ash catcher at my LHS which I thought was "big" and didn't fit my bong. So I'm thinking mine is a 14 but its not "smaller than my pinky". Anyways, for possible clarification HERE'S a picture (in relation to a dime) of my downstem..can anyone tell judge? PS: the dime does not fall down when placed on top of the downstem ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387687150.023492.jpg

12. Looks like a 14 to me. 

13. [quote name="xHighImStoned" post="19208046" timestamp="1387687367"]

[quote name="waynesumner" post="19207679" timestamp="1387682656"]its pretty easy to guage though. I mean small one is 14 big one is 18 those are the most common joints[/quote

I hear this a lot, and that's what I was thinking..but I bought the ash catcher at my LHS which I thought was "big" and didn't fit my bong. So I'm thinking mine is a 14 but its not "smaller than my pinky". Anyways, for possible clarification HERE'S a picture (in relation to a dime) of my downstem..can anyone tell judge?

PS: the dime does not fall down when placed on top of the downstem

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387687150.023492.jpg[/quote]

i think one of the first replies said the dime will fall into an 18 but not 14 so you most likly do have a 14. they do make smaller ones than 14 and bigger ones than 18 but rarely. i think its safe to say you have a 14.