should i be worried about root bound?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by puff99buds, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ive been hearing alot about rootbound lately. plants are really bushy and thick and some are just tall. i have most of my plants in 5 gal. buckets outdoor this year. the roots already got to the holes in the bottem of the bucket i drilled. i was thinking about digging some holes where my spot is and cut the bottems out using a mini cutter or a battery saz zaw. im wondering will this increase my yeild by alot. most of them just showed sex a couple weeks ago. so if im gonna do it probally better to do it sooner then later. any body have good luck with 5 gal outdoors? im close to the spots so watering isnt an issue. to cut or not to cut??

edit- any ones here have luck with cha ching or is it just some exppensive product that doesnt do much. recently bought some and was wondering if it actually works

2. I've never heard of a 5 getting bound but I don't grow outdoors so.....

If the roots are showing, I think I'd definitely go through with your idea,...lop the bottoms. I'd make sure to get some good soil in the hole though,...just for precaution.

Good luck!

3. I got all three solubles. just started using the CC a day ago so dont know yet but hear its good. The open and beastie seem to have my girls going pretty good in flower.

4. I wouldn't worry about it, the basic rule of thumb is 1 gallon per foot. Also, I read alot of grow journals and came across one the other day where a guy was growing in coco and was comparing root mass vs. yield. He grew identical strains and some of his plants had gigantic root balls and some were much smaller but the yields were identical. When I grow, I let my plants tell me when they want water by waiting till the leaves begin to droop before I water them which causes the roots to grow out looking for water. I see roots in the drainage holes very early and it has never hurt anything. If you do choose to cut the bottoms out, I would dig a hole the size of the bucket and drop the plant down into it, it's an awesome way to make sure your roots stay insulated. I simply wouldn't root those babies into the ground just for the sake of mobility. Its nice to be able to relocate for whatever reasons that may arise. Hope this helps, Late.

5. Excellent post! :hello: Very interesting about that root mass vs. yield also.
    I watch the fan leaves also for watering. Usually there's one (out of 9) that's my "canary in the coal mine" that starts drooping (a little) before the rest. ;)