Shoom Kit, any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by texas_virus, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hey whats up you guys ive been visiting here for a while but not posted before, and I was wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction.

I'm in college right now and wanted to grow some shrooms, and eventually marijuana but not till i have my own room in an apartment next year.

I was thinking about buying this kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Mushro...ryZ16710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

same one
    http://visiongrowkits.com/prod/standard.htm

and then buying some spores to make them grow.

It seems like it has everything i would need and to me that is very appealing as i just want to try it out once and see how it goes, plus if i do end up liking growing it I can just buy refills for everything.

Please tell what you think

thanks

2. Looks good.
    But, uh, does it have the wattage on that light?
    Just judging it off of appearance alone, it looks a bit weak.

3. no it doesn't say the wattage but your right the light does look cheap, but i read that light is not very important (compared to something like weed)so would it make a big difference?

4. I think light isnt really necessary for shroom growing so no big deal

5. They need a little to star pinning, but the most important thing is FAE. They do grow towards light mind you.

To be honest, all that stuff can be bought for less. You really should try to make your own sterile growing material.

>>> http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek <<<
    Go though all the shroomery articles. I've been growing for almost two years, i still learn new stuff everyday. Cultivating is a researchers hobby.

6. ok im gonna go research growing shrooms in a while but thought i might as well ask here and see i can get faster responses on account i'm really lazy to read a lot right now.

but how do you grow shrooms? just use that kit and put it in an airtight warm humid box in the dark? and it they just grow or is there more to it?

oh and good luck to the OP. and sorry for kinda hijacking your thread with another question.

7. I would start writing a book if i stated everything. the link i gave is a step-by-step tutorial.

**you sterilized your growing medium, usually brown rice flower and vermiculite, in an autoclave or pressure steamer.

*You isolate the jars, with either spores or from an LC. some time referred to as "knocking up" the jars.

**Theres a grow period, for the mycelium to germinate and consume the growing material.(1-3weeks)

**After the entire jar is 100% colonized, its birthed, and put into a fruiting chamber with close to 90% humidity.

**The cakes/casing starts to pin and fruit, and you reap the benefits. You take off the mature mushrooms, and the cake goes throw a recover period(2-4days). The cake starts to pin again after.

** You keep doing this until the cakes are spent, and will not produce. every time a cake produces it called a "flush."

All i can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH....:D

8. wow thank you for all that info.+rep. and yes im gonna research this when i have the free time as much as i can.

9. aight i decided im going to make my own shroom growing kit instead, i have done extensive reading on this and know basically how its done

just one question about humidity, when it is in the fruit chamber I have read the humidity is supposed to be at 90% but since it is in a closed container, how do i ensure that, with a humidifier outside, or like damp paper towels inside or something, please and thanks

10. Your humidity in your FC needs to be above 95%. 90% will give you some smaller mushies.

depending on your FC will depend on how you himidify it.

Heres what I would do.. buy a Vicks Coolmist v400.. and drill a 5/8'' hole in the top of it.. then take a gardening hose, and run it from the coolmist to the FC, then play around with timers to figure out how to balance out the moisture.. you dont want your FC getting overly moist because standing water= contamination.

if you would like pictures of how i did my coolmist i could probably post some up for you later, although its pretty self explainitory.

Also, i reccommend starting with PF tek first.. this will give you the basic understanding and help ensure that you dont pick up bad habits... contamination is your biggest enemy.

and like someone said earlier, dont worry about lights, shrooms could grow fine in pitch black.

also running the coolmist will ensure that you have constant FAE.

11. ohh that makes sense, thanks

yeah im going to try PF tek first and then move on and experiment other ways.

Next fall im taking mycology and medical botany classes which im really looking forward too

12. yeah ive been studying mycology for about 6 months, so im in no way an expert, but i do know my fair share.

also if you have any questions you can PM instead of posting if you want, I occasionally have people PM me growing questions.

Im getting ready to learn cloning techniques which should be quite fun.

Im also down to exchange spore prints as well.

13. as a first grow i don't recommend using automated system. just mist and fan. and i said aim for 90%RHP because trying to get 95, on your first try will cause condensation.

14. Its going to be extremely hard to get the right humidity using the mist and fan method.

Not to mention that means you have to use perlite in your FC and working with Perlite is a pain the ass.

You'll have plenty of time to figure out the proper coolmist settings while your jars colonize.

I personally get away with running my coolmist 24/7, but i also use a greenhouse. so my conditions are slightly different.

Use of a monotub would probably require close monitoring of your coolmist settings.

15. I wouldn't buy a grow kit off ebay... that just doesn't sound legit

16. I beg to differ, RR will disagree as well. Perlite is perfectly fine. But i guess its all depends on how large your grows are. And its not that hard to fan/mist two-three times a day.
    I have mist hoses underneath mine, to keep RH up, but even without them it works fine.

decent FAE+ evaporation+ perlite= great yield.

17. is RR a member here as well?

RR knows a lot, but often suggests things that are overkill or not optimal.. Ive known RR for about 3 years.. he gives good advice, but there are better ways of doing it IMO.. he tends to like old techniques.

EDIT- btw, i got your PM.. im going to take some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.. and share them, and ill also reply to your PM soon, ive just been a little busy.

18. Looking good dude.
    No, roger doesn't hang around here. I just took it from one of his posts on shroomery.
    I guess i like his ways, because they are old fashion and tested over and over, almost beaten into the coble stones of premature mycology.

19. I agree... RR is very very smart.. but like you said.. he tends to use old fashion techniques that may not be best suited for modern equipment.

I prefer to experiment more and ive had it reap rewards for me.

Im glad you like the greenhouse.

RR has years of experience.. and I have months.. so when in doubt, go with RR.