Shivas 1200W Multi-strain SCROG

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Shiva Blaster, Nov 21, 2013.

1. #1 Shiva Blaster, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    Greetings fellow growers, welcome to my new grow journal   :metal:

Some of you may know me from around the forums, although I have not done a proper journal since my first grow almost 3 years ago.   Life got busy, and I barely had time to take care of my plants, never mind write about them.   Now I find myself with a lot more time on my hands, and figured it was time to undertake and document my next growing challenge:   the almighty SCROG.   Pull up a chair, pack a bowl, and come along for the ride.   Any and all comments, questions, tips, discussion are welcome and encouraged!   :)   I've told no one about my secret hobby, so GC is where I come to share/enjoy it....thanks for joining in!

First off, let's get this thing started off properly with some tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mg5j038lU

Now, a bit about my set-up:     I bought my first home a few years back, which came with a partially-finished basement.    After a few years of saving and hard work, my basement is now the ultimate man-cave dedicated to two of my passions in life:  weed, and music.    One side of my basement holds a 16'x20' home recording studio, a project I've been working on since I bought the place.   To the unsuspecting eye, the other side of the basement holds a laundry room, and a small work shop.   What isn't visible is a 4'x10' grow room, which is tucked behind a wall that I framed/insulated/drywalled.  It's basically a room within a room, with a hidden crawlspace entrance accessed through the side of a closet.   My workshop bench and storage shelving back right onto my grow space, and I've had many people in my workshop and they have no idea they are standing withing 5 feet of stoner's paradise!  ;)
    I installed soundproof insulation in all the walls and ceiling of my room, as well as around ducting and fans, so the room is whisper quiet.   I run a carbon filter (obviously) which discharges the the hot scrubbed air into the the heat ducting of my house in the winter (put that heat to use!), and outside in the summer.   Summer growing was a major PITA with the heat and the humidity, so I think I'll stick to winter growing from now on.

Equipment/Set-up

• 2 x 600W digital ballasts with Horilux MH and HPS bulbs
    • 2 x air-cooled hoods
    • Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    • 475 CFM 6" Exhaust Fan
    • 250 CFM 4' Intake Fan
    • 5 Gallon Fabric Smart Pots (first time using these, interested to see if there is any difference)
    • and last but not least, a 3'x6' screen
    Medium/Nutrients/Supplements

• ProMix HP with an added 30% perlite
    • General Hydroponics 3-Part Flora Series base nutrients
    • Cal/Mag
    • Rapid Start Root Enhancer
    • Protek Potassium Silicate
    • KoolBloom bloom enhancers (liquid and powder)
    Genetics

I will be growing 4 plants under my 3' x 6' screen.  4 different strains from feminized seed:

• 1 x Next Generation  - Afghani Kush
    • 1 x Reserva Privada - Kandy Kush (OG Kush x Trainwreck)
    • 1 x Delicious Seeds - Fruity Chronic Juice (Chronic x White Widow)
    • 1 x Sweet Seeds - Jack 47 (Jack Herer x AK47)
    This is my first time working with all of these strains, but have done quite a bit of research and have read great things about all of them.   I like having a variety of tastes/smells/highs in my garden at all times.   Surprisingly, I've never grown a Kush strain to date, so I'm pretty pumped to try the landrace Afghani Kush as well as the Kandy Kush.    I've read great things about both the FCJ and the Jack 47, so interested to see what they can do too.   I germinated all 4 of them 3 days ago, and they are currently vegging under flouros.

Still have to do lots of cleaning/setting up in the grow space, so no pictures quite yet...will get some up very soon.   Once that's done, first order of business will be to start building my screen.

2. First man... I've been waiting to see some consistent stuff from you man our styles are similar.

3. Whoa, subbed! Sounds like an extensive amount of work went into this, I can't wait to see pics! I was just telling my wife when we move I want to build a false wall to my room, very similar ideas! That FCJ sounds delicious!

4. Welcome! I agree, looks like we have tackled some of the same strains too, should be fun. Finally have the time to invest in a proper journal, and hopefully my best grow to date

5. Hey Jupiter, welcome to my journal, glad to have you along! :)

6. Your room setup sounds awesome, ill be watching..

7. Thanks, welcome!

8. New investment for this veg cycle.....in the past I've cheaped out on MH bulbs, interested to see how much of a difference a quality MH bulb will make. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385066348.192317.jpg

9. subbed up my friend

10. Right on!  How's it going Dan?

Pretty good, real slow start this time around plus my light came down and crushed some babies but I'm bouncing back. How have you been man? 

12. #12 Hortila, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    I'm subbed up in this beeatch!! Hope you don't mind. I to am VERY interested in seeing this secret space! And I'm a sucker for a scrog!

13. Welcome! This is going to be my first crack at SCROGging, but I have a feeling I'm going to get hooked. I'm a pretty meticulous grower, and a sucker for efficiency. I haven't been too worried about yield on previous efforts, but I want to push my setup this time and a scrog is a great way to do that.

Here's some old pics of my space from my last grow. The room is located behind the wall which my workbench is against....hidden door in the side of the closet leads down a narrow 2" passageway to the grow room itself. I dont have any good pics that shows the inside of my room, so will add some once i'm done cleaning up and prepping. I did include a canopy shot of my most recent grow. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385091642.213420.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385091680.828039.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385091728.640943.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385091757.326147.jpg

14. Woh very cool entrance, I like how you placed the coat rack on that wall so you have to remove it to enter. Very nice!

15. Those girls are staaaacked.

Sent from the land of pink champagne

16. Thanks man.    It may be a bit overkill for some, but I'm pretty meticulous about safety......was a while before I was even comfortable posting on GC.    I love this hobby, but still want to be able to have people over like a normal person.   I had an old gf come and stay with me in the middle of flower last round,  she was here for almost a month and had no idea.   I'd sneak in late at night to check on my girls an water, she was none the wiser  ;)

17. #18 Shiva Blaster, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks Xose!  That was my most recent harvest:  Grape God, Blue Cheese and Black Russian in those pics.     That was actually my poorest effort to date in terms of yield, it was my first summer grow and battled temperatures the whole time......had to dial my lights back most days.   It was actually that grow that made me want to try and tackle a SCROG and max out my space.   So far my personal best is just over 20 ounces from my two 600w lights, so I'll be looking to beat that.  If I really wanted to max things out, I'd only work with one or two strains, but I love the variety and looking forward to different smoke every harvest. 

18. #19 Shiva Blaster, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
    Speaking of variety, I'm already looking at putting in another Attitude order for my next grow.  

For my next 4 strains, I'm looking at:

Delicious seeds - Critical Sensi Star
    Next Generation Seeds - Island Sweet Skunk
    Sweet Seeds - Cream Caramel
    Medical Seeds - Channel+

Gonna give it a few days to do a little reading before placing an order, so that lineup is subject to change.   I can get stoned and spend HOURS on the Attitude website looking at strains, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lol I'm that way now but I used to be impulsive with seed buys.

Sent from the land of pink champagne