Shin Pain When Running

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Kushjob, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Anyone else sometimes get pain in their shins after a few miles?

I can't seem to get rid of it. Though resting it for a few days and advil seems to help.

Maybe it's my shoes? I'm almost positive I'm striding correctly

anyone have some remedies or can relate?

2. Look up shin splints homie

3. Yup he's got it right^
    Thats probably shin splints, I hate having them. They suck but it happens to pretty much everyone, I get them when I do sprints. They last a while and you can't do anything to get rid of them besides waitting.

4. Stretch out better and eat more potassium.

And the two above me are right, it's shin splints, they're a bitch. Fortunately I haven't had them since high school, but I used to get them bad back then.

5. Its shin splints. I've never had them in my life, but definitely stop running until they stop to hurt.

A light jog is okay, but no heavy running, sprinting or distance - one of my buddies in high school kept running through shin splints and ended up giving himself a stress fracture in his shin.

6. I've had terrible shin splints in my life, and I've managed to almost completely resolve them. The answer? STRETCHING!

I'm not just talking about doing a warmup and then doing a quick stretch on your calves, I'm talking about being vigilant. To really get at this issue, I had to stretch 2-3 times a day for about a week, just in my room without a warmup.

The reason for shin splints are caused by tightness in your main calf muscle, where the muscle is so tight it literally is ripping ligaments and tendons away from the bone on your shin. This causes the pain and is usually prevalent when you run.

The muscles you need to stretch are the ones connected with your calves, which is all of the muscles down the back of your leg. So stretch your achilles tendon, your main calf muscles, your hamstrings, your glutes and even your lower back.

It's not very hard to find exercises to stretch these muscles, but you'll be glad you did it if you stick to it.

Edit: For optimal stretching, which people don't seem to see as very important which leads to a lot of injuries, you need to stretch for 30-40 seconds on each muscle. In these 2-3 periods a day, stretch each muscle twice for that amount of time.

7. It very well could be your shoes. It says in my Physical Education Book and I quote - "After 300 to 500 miles or 6 months, examine your shoes and obtain a new pair if they are worn out. Old shoes are frequently responsible for injuries to the lower limbs."

8. ^That.
    Invest in GOOD RUNNING Shoes. It will cost $100-300 but it's the money or your health.

And make sure you go read up on "shine splints"

9. I used to get them all the time when I was younger. You just have to stretch like a mofo before and after, keep a focus on your calves when doing it, also I found that tracing the Alphabet with your toes helps to warmup and stretch your calve region well when you have shine splits and icing them down after a run will help if they really hurt.

Make sure you are buying the right kind of shoe for your foot protrusion. Just go to your local Sport Store or Running Store and ask if they do free foot diagnostics, takes like 10 min. and if the dude/chick knows what they are talking about, you'll learn a lot.

10. If you do get them, make sure to take a break for a while. Never run with shin splints because they can get worse and become a stress fracture, and you don't want that.

11. Well if aspirin lowers the swelling then it cant be anything too serious. They say before doing ANYTHING active you should stretch everywhere!

12. That happens to me too! Every time I took a break and started again the pain came right back. So a few few weeks ago I decided to take a long break from running to give my body a chance to heal. I ran for the first time today and no pain at all. Don't know if this will last but maybe you should take a rest :)

13. It could be a lot of things, but you probably are just using muscles in the shins that your body isn't used to being used like that. It will get better with time. You also might want to check out your form (shoulders back, chest out, elbows bent at 90 degree angle, etc.).

14. Another remedy for shin splints is to tape the arches of your feet (under your sock and running shoes obviously) IDK specifically WHY this helps, but way back when as a senior in high school, i had shin splints during soccer season, and I would have to go to the school trainer before every game, and she'd tape up my arches and make it manageable. It works!