She literally died in my girlfriend's arms...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by stoneheir, May 3, 2011.

1. Very sorry to hear. :(

Given the situation, I always brake for dogs, even tho I'm not suppose to. I just can't.

Give her time, took me years to get another dog after the city took my wolf.

2. How in the world do you guys find these old threads and bring them back to life. Sure got to learn quite a bit about some of the members here:rolleyes:

3. My pet also died right in front of me after an accident. He was my blazer cat! I will miss him dearly.....Rest in Peace all souls

4. really tho??? was that even necessary??

5. THat is actually really sad. Because i would know, not that i saw my dog get run over though. You form such a bond and it hurts when they get lost or they die/get killed
    Give your gf time because i dont think she would be happy with a new dog untill shes moved on. It sounds stupid but it really is true

6. My god, why is this being revived? I am so saddened whenever I read this thread.

Though an update from the OP wouldn't be too horrible... how's it going?

7. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been, I really enjoy my dog and always worry she might be hit since she's so reckless when it comes to chasing vehicles.
    (On a side note, as I read through the comments up to colombian, I was thinking how we humans are really treating the dogs as one of our own, just goes to show how deep rooted our connection with dogs are.)

8. This is where being an atheist I find is worse than being a theist. If you believe there is some kind of afterlife where you can meet you lost friends/family members, you deal with grief a lot better. If you have to accept you've lost them forever just because you have a belief that you die and are in a hole in the ground and everything fades to black, it makes it much harder to deal with death.

Good luck anyway OP, my dog is getting on a bit now. She can't make some of her jumps (a 15 year old jack russell terrier called JJ) and she is quite blind.

I don't think she has long to go, anyone got advice on what I can do to help the grieving process before it begins?

9. That sucks man, the day my cats die, I'll definitely cry for them, they're like the only friends I have.

Good luck OP

10. Hey guys. Thanks for all the good vibes a second time around. Things are definitely looking up after re-reading my OP.

So...an update seven months later:

My girlfriend and I ended up deciding it would be a good idea to move in together. After we were all settled into our place we were having dinner one night and she asks me "so...what do you think about us getting our own dog?" Now, mind you, I took the advice given to me in this thread and completely dropped the idea of getting her a new dog. I realized that she needed her time to mourn the loss and move on. But I was super stoke about her wanting to get a dog! Not so much because I wanted a new pet (and more responsibility) but because it meant she was ready.

Normally, she's the type to pick a breed, find a breeder, and buy a new "perfect" puppy. But not anymore. She really wanted to save one. So after a while of going to a couple shelters, we found Cosmo. He's a three year old mix between a Miniature & Standard Schnauzer. He's perfect for us and (more importantly) for her. Apparently he had been locked up for the majority of his life and beaten pretty badly. He's got some skin issues that come from his old diet, but we're working to get him back to 100%.

I've attached a couple pics of Cosmo. The first one is how he looked when we rescued him. Then the other two are after we had him groomed.

Thanks for all the positive vibes blades, and also thanks for the initial advice. She mentioned how much it meant to her that I let her choose the time for a new dog on her own, instead of pushing it on her. Lord knows I was ready to buy her a puppy the next day :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. (I really should look at the dates, LOL!) And Omega 3 helps clear up skin problems! Just get some fish oil caps, and puncture one on Cosmo's food! The oil itself will give his coat some more shine and the omega 3 will help in other ways, too!

My first dog was a schnauzer cross. (My mom's boss had a mini who "got out one night"! ) Bittie was a "happy!happy!" dog!

Granny

12. That's horrible :(

R.I.P. LuLu

I'm glad life's gotten better

13. Someones mommy and daddy didn't let them have a dog growing up did they?

14. Thanks man. Things are definitely looking up since the OP.

15. ..... just leave man that ain't cool.