Shamanic use of Cannabis

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Sinagua, Dec 26, 2012.

1. One of the first recorded accounts for the shamanic use of cannabis was in central Asia, when they found 2,700 year old cannabis in the tomb of a supposed shaman.

Obviously, cannabis has been used in other cultures around the world as well. However, the use of it was only permitted to the shamans, and was only administered to the tribe under shamanic instruction.

With this being said, obviously these ancient cultures found profound usages with this plant, so why can't we?

I was going to ask anyone out there if they use, or have used cannabis in a shamanic setting? :)

2. If you mean in the jungle amongst the indigenous, then I doubt few have. But if you mean from a shamanic perspective, connection, principle, then there will be quite a few, and for the most part, this is how I use it.

It forms part of a meditation initially, that turns into something that allows a kind of insight to be experienced. Either for writing purposes, or just to 'see' someone, or both. Because I don't walk around with a sign on, it's not always obvious this is taking place. Back in my younger days, before I'd ever come across the term 'shaman', I was intuitively using it this way without realising it, even though I usually did so amongst others, in what might be termed recreationally.

I simply couldn't understand why there was such a difference in the experiences I had compared to the others, and it wasn't until I began a more conscious spiritual approach, that I began to understand what was going on.

3. I'm not sure if you could consider it "shamanic", but lately I have been using cannabis for the sole purpose of meditation. I like to set a nice atmosphere during my meditations so I make it a habit to darken the room, light incense and candle, and smoke a chillum. I find that it's helps quiet my mind and it helps me pay attention to the present moment.

Like the above poster mentioned, compared to when I was using it only for recreation I benefit much more using it this way.

4. I have seen reports on NatGeo of the "psycho-spiritual enhancement" effects of THC [cannabis] on native peoples though I doubt their cannabis was a strong as ours is given modern technology. And I have seen frequently seen rastas in my city park praying in a dense fog of pot smoke --which indicates that the THC effect on "psycho-spiritual enhancement" is largely promontory. Now, personally I have employed THC in simple psycho-spiritual activities such as meditation, scripture reading, and dare I say even goingt o churchhigh--however 99.9% of the time THC I am recreational user.

5. In the early days of the church.........weed was in the holt annointing oils which burned like insence outside of the temples....the peeps passed thought this before worship

6. Personally, cannabis yields some fairly amazing psychoactive effects. I'm able to essentially 'trip' on cannabis under the right circumstances. The next time I'm able to smoke, I'm going to floor it on dosage (usually with extremely potent edibles), then lay down in a dark room. Inducing the effects through a shamanic method, and sense deprivation, coupled with drumming (or some type of organic rhythm).

It should be interesting.

7. One of the pieces of music I love using is something put out by the Monroe Institute called Spirit Gathering. Full of shamanic tribal beats and sounds. Always makes me feel like I'm sitting round the fire amongst them.

8. I have....once before been turned into small little particals and blew away with the wind.

One summer night I was out on my deck,the night was very calm and warm.

wait it was a little bit breezey (I remember cause I was allowing little wisps of wind in the side of my mouth using the mflb)

anyway I wasnt that high where I was out of my tree just got myself into a real place of thanks. at that time it was like my body was on a different level BUT I wasnt conscience of it its only now I have remembered. ANYway I remember during my time of giving thanks (praising as some may say) it got really windy so much that the leaves were really making noise

In my minds eye I started to see myself from above and the top of my head was breaking up into little particals and was flying away in the wind

Just as that was happining the music I was listing to ended and it was as if the wind stoppped dead.

actually as the song ended I came back fully of my conscience and everything was calm.

next time I will choose a longer song so that it doesnt break my concentration or cause a distraction

9. I believe that cannabis, when used correctly, necessarily removes the normal limits of our consciousness, resulting in more creativity, serenity, and insight.

Like anything, using it can get out of balance. Learn to moderate, and have control.

10. A shaman knows how to get a dog high. That is, of course, by blowing smoke through the ear.