Several LED'S vs. MH + HPS Together?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bongoman420, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Alright, so I plan on building a decent sized grow room. Planning on spending around 15k for lights, CO2, air conditioner, etc. One of the biggest things I keep researching and going over in my head is the types of lights to use. I first thought of just using a couple 1,000w HPS's, then I thought of mixing a 1,000 MH with mayyybe 2 1,000 HPS's. Now I'm reading more about LED's and they seem to have a lot going for them as well.

A few things will possibly factor into helping with my decision. I'm hoping for a constant 60-80dayish harvest. I wouldn't be able to grow my plants too tall so I would just start my 12/12 on and off sooner. I'm planning on having at max 40-60 plants growing.

I've seen a crapload of vids on HPS's beating LED's, but I've also seen several vids of the opposite including: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg]Commercial Grow using LED Grow Lights - YouTube[/ame] which seems very enticing. I know that there are a lot of people who have tried LED's and have been unsuccessful but the newer LED's seem topnotch..even though it's just the website talking. The website I'm really looking at for LED's is: LED Grow Lights by ProSource Worldwide Inc.

If I did decide to go with the LED's, really not sure on if 2-3 of the 350w ones would be better as they say it is the same output as a 1,000w HID (NOT relative in lumens however), or if 6-10 of the 180w ones (about 600w output of a HID) would be better.

Money isn't really a factor at my startup, but in the longrun electricity-wise the LED's would save me a lottt. Just looking for your opinions on what you think would be the best situation. Which do you think would get the most in yield? <- biggest question

Thank you very much for any info you can give as I seem to be stuck right now. Cheers :]

2. #2 Grows&Smokes, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
    If I was going to go with a major league set-up such as you are describing...if money is no object, I would try an experiment and buy 1 of the LED's and a HPS/MH and try both on a scaled down/smaller area with just a few plants and see for myself first-hand instead of taking someone elses word for it..then you could invest your money in your lighting with confidence....my guess is the HPS will out perform the LED's. The technology in LED lighting is growing by leaps and bounds but still comes up short of HPS/MH in my opinion.

3. While I would love to try both, and to an extent money isn't a huge issue, but it would just seem easiest/best to go the whole way with one project instead of trying to fix/remove/replace/resell everything afterwards. However I do understand and agree when you say that a first-hand experience would be the best way to find out.

There are just so many pros and cons to both. LED's you can switch between blue and red spectrums..although I could always just do MH and HPSs. LED's would save countless amounts of money in the long run, and would be less detectable by authorities, where HIDs are expensive to run, would need a really decent air conditioning system, and have to be replaced more often. HIDs however are a 'guarantee' that I would get great bud with a decent settup.

If going purely for amount of yield I think I would go with HIDs just because of there performance record, but even if LED's are relatively close I could make so much more because of all the saving costs.

Decisions, decisions :/ lol.

4. Good luck to you!

5. I run T5's in veg and switch to 1000w HPS bulbs for flowering. I wouldnt have it any other way. Just my two cents :)

6. Buy a couple of the plasma lights and compare that to the HIDs :wave:
    Would be worth watching that's for sure