Setup help for an absolute newb...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by poppywes, Dec 6, 2005.

1. First post, glad to be a part of the boards! I have been doing alot of research over the past several months and am interested in trying to grow for the first time. What I need is some general input to help me come up with the right setup for my goals (no knowledge first hand whatsoever and don't know a single person who has firsthand knowledge in my area; I am completely at the mercy of what I learn on the boards).

A few questions to get started: In general, what method is easier for the beginner (indoor or outdoor)? If I would choose indoor what is the easiest method for a begginer once everything is setup and running (soil, hydro, or other)? I have purchased 12 good seeds and this is all of the seeds I have to my name. I have nothing else purchased, I'm litteraly starting from scratch. I am looking to do this just for my own consumption (which is not much at all, moreso a fascination with growing than anything) so I am looking to use the smallest setup I can to accomplish this goal. Thanks in advance for any input...

2. Welcome,

Indoor is prefered because u can manipulate and grow plants faster (outdoors is much easier).

When you start, start on soil and see what plants are doing (soil has a buffer so when you make mistakes it's easy to restore).

Most important is to learn about the power of light, read all the boards (not only this one) and learn about light. Golden rule Light is Weight Try to get you're hands on a 400 or better 600 Watt Hps with ballast. This way you are half way there.

We in Holland work with clones (no seeds) so the questions about seed can be answered by other members. (Seeds give nicer plants but commercialy it takes too long for me).

Make sure temperature, light and humidity are ok and you will be a succes.

Good luck, read and keep asking questions

3. good info cord.

Check out the growguides around the forum they help alot.

4. I really appreciate the input. Truthfully, I have to get the balls right now to decide to do this (if I grow inside, my house is the only place I have available). I'm a bit freaked out, not looking to screw everything up in my life over some dope. With the 400 watt lamps and stuff I'm freaked about heat detection and don't want my house to smell like it all over either. How much will five plants really smell up a house? This room will be in the basement with door kept shut.

If I go for it I was thinking of germinating only 5 seeds which brings me to my next question. I only have 12 seeds to my name (very good ones) so I was thinking of letting all five plants grow up fully (no matter if a few are males or not) so that I have good seeds for the future w/o having to order more everytime. Questions: Do I have to do something special to sex the plants or does it happen naturally? Will I have any good smoking buds when all is said and done if I leave the males in the mix? Does this make sense what I am thinking at all?

5. ok well the smell can be take care of simply with a carbon filter or ozone generator, and if you let your females get pollinated thew bud you get from it will be smokable but not quite worth it in my opinion, it wont be grade A stuff so dont expect nothin too fancy if its pollenated, good luck!

6. Got it. How bad are we talking? Will it pretty much take a great strain and make it shwag? Hope not. Whats a rough estimate as far as how many seeds I may get out of say 1 female? Do I have to do anything special to sex the plants?

7. rule of thumb is with seeds your chances for a female is 50/50 ( I planted 2 seeds: got 2 plants: got 1 female) not always but most the time....... and yes quality of a plant is greatly reduced by pollination its like going from some great Kush to some decent step down. Due to the fact that once a female pollinates it's "job" is done by producing seeds. When you don't pollinate the plant trys to stay alive long enough to reproduce........creating more THC

8. That makes complete sense. I will have to figure out how I want to handle that. My next questions are the most pressing. I am going to be setting up inside an arcade cabinet that I have in my basement because I need to be 100% stealth. The area approx (4'x4'x3'h) What lights should I use for this setup? Going to use pots and circulate air with a small fan behind the cab blowing in. My concern is lighting. I've considered hps but as the plants grow won't they be too close to the lights? What are my options here?

9. ^ That CFL will definitely get you started on your first grow and will give you much better results than standard flouro tubes. I say go for it. You might want to check around your area though for any hydro or lighting shops that might sell something similar. My general rule of thumb is never buy off the net unless it is absolutely necessary. Even Ebay. But if you cant find the light nearby then go ahead and snag that one, you'll most likely be fine. Just dont make a habit of buying your grow equipment with a credit card.

10. Got it, thanks. You guys want me to keep a light like that 2" off the top of the plants the whole way through right?

11. Also, what does the term "finish time" mean? Like the seeds I bought have a finish time of 7-8 weeks indoors according to a website. Does this mean from seed to harvest only takes 2 months?