Setting up my first room.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by xfakturx, Mar 26, 2015.

1. So i am going to be setting up my first "room" hopefully next week. my main concern is keeping the light cool, here is what i had in mind for the setup:

1000w hps/mh (already have it, 50$ for the whole setup from a friend)
    2 4 inch inline vortex fans
    phresh 200cfm 4x12 carbon filter
    4x4x7 tent
    6 smart pots
    organic soil mix

one fan will be pulling through the filter to vent the tent itself, the other will be pushing through the hood to cool the light. is the 4 inch fan going to be enough to keep the light cool?

2. is there air intake? Where are you venting from/too?

Yes, that's perfect. It should keep it cool enough. Do you have a circulation fan blowing around in there too? It sounds like a great first time set up.

4. Yeah i have wall mount / clip on fans to hang inside. The tent will be vented directly outside.

5. #5 Grefen, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    I went with 3 oscillating fans, 2 6" 400cfm vortex fans. 1 for exhaust scrubber attached and 1 dedicated to pulling air across my tubes and still had to run ac to keep my temps under control.

If you manage to keep the temps in check please let me know. I'm interested in how others are setting up their grows and battling the heat an easier way. If I could manage with just a passive intake that's the route I'd go, but just don't see how I can pull that off.

6. If you are venting the hood out the window (and its only one 1000) you should be able to control the heat with a few oscillating fans and passive intake from your hallway or whatever your room is attached too. With a 6" inline anyway. If i had only two 4" fans I would use them in tandem to the same effect.

Carbon filter--> fan--> hood-->fan--> window

The carbon filter will further reduce your air flow so with both you can probably get away with cooling that hood and still scrubbing your exhaust.

Have you considered building a makeshift baffle around your window?

7. Is the window baffle for sound? if thats the case i am using my old vent ducting for my washer/dryer and it still has a grille/baffle at the end just before it exits the house.

8. #8 FauxRoux, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    yes, for noise and usually for preventing light leaks. also so you don't just have a 4" duct sticking right up to the window opening.. you can rig a baffle to have multiple chambers to both intake and exhaust as well, but you have to rig it to avoid pulling in your own exhaust.

i guess with the tent most of that's not the biggest worry :)