Setting up a large grow.. Quick question.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by AntonROUGH, Sep 4, 2011.

1. So i plan on starting up a large grow soon.. Most likely going to run "7" 600's. My question is, what kind of electrical work will need to be done if any?

This is going to be a rented place, the landlord will not know about the grow.. But he grows himself and i have a few other friends who rent from him and all have grows going.
    Seems like its one of those "dont ask, dont tell" situations.

The house is a 3 bedroom house and i planned on setting up 4 seperate tents to run all the lights in. My question is can this be done without making any changes to the electrical? If i spread the wattage threw out the house? Because im pretty sure each outlet is rated at 1440W?

2. Large-scale grow in a rented place? Very bad idea.

Trying to take on a project this big when you don't even know how to wire the lights? In over your head.

I strongly suggest you seriously re-think this plan, you are on track to end up in jail for a long time.

3. Sounds like trouble... Four different setups? That's four different growing environments. Much easier to build one and have an electrician run power to it !

4. Antonrough: You should listen to these guys. One thing I learned from my sainted father, who was an electrician, is that if you do't know what you're doing, especially when it comes to electricity you're tinkering with a disaster waiting to happen.

Most houses are wired for 20 to 25 amps service per circuit breaker. If it's an old place with fuses it's probably 15 to 20 amps service. If you don't get a qualified electrician to do it you're likely to burn it down.

If it's 'your house' and you burn it down around your ears I guess that's okay. I just hope you're not one of those assholes who rents someone else's house for a grow op and ruins it. Hank

5. Electricity is NOT to be played with or taken lightly.
    I cringe every time I see photos with power strips on the ground !

6. I understand electricity is not to be played with and that's why im here askin you guys how this should be played out :) without tampering with the electrical. Im trying to be safe!
    Ive done large grows before, had a 50amp sub panel installed and run straight to my room but like i said i dont have that option right now.

I would take all the percautions needed and have atleast 2 of those fire extinguishers that hydro shops sell that you keep in the room.

7. I was reading all this and it sounds like you're doing it no matter what anyone recommends. If I'm wrong sorry :smoke: but blowing up 3 rooms with a full grow set-up in each is asking for trouble if you don't rewire for extra power. Living here in Cali. there are people getting busted not only from burning a house down or warehouse from overloading power but people next door or power company calling in grow. You can put out a fire most the time if you are there within 5-10 min. but preventing is way better. If for some reason worst case happened you would wish you wired for the extra power I'm sure.

Lights, fans, cooling, watering and air transfer is a lot so it's not just the 700w lights.

Good luck I would just hate to hear things went bad.

8. Ask the advice of a professional electrician, not stoners in marijuana forums. You have no way to know of the poster's electrical knowledge. If you are asking questions like this you are not ready for warehouse type growing. Start small and learn the tricks of the trade before attempting a large grow, spending a lot of money and ending in failure.

PW

9. #9 AntonROUGH, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    warehouse?... Try a 4000W grow.. Lol.

10. i think 90 percent of fires happen when ur not there