SE's Weekly: So, what are everyone's thoughts on "Everbody draw Mohammad Day"?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sir Elliot, May 20, 2010.

1. What about unintentionally disrespecting Islam by giving women the right to vote and allowing people to not be muslims?

Should we pander to anyone who threatens us with death threats? Should we have bent over for the nazis?

2. Terrorism is all about fear, the terrorists have won when we decide to self censor due to fear of death or change our behaviour to suit them. The more people who participate in things like this the more diluted their threats become. There will always be nutters willing to kill as long as religion/ideas are free from criticism.

3. #43 G-MAN, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    This.

Art holds up a mirror to society, if people get offended with what they see, tough shit.

Extremist Muslims are painting a far worse picture of Mohammad than any cartoon ever could by killing innocent people with no real reason, the blood is on their hands - a cartoon may be a reason, but its not an acceptable excuse.

4. What passage(s) does this phrase occur in? You seem to know the Koran well enough to be able to speak on the behalf of it, so I assume finding the exact passage where it says "terrorize them" shouldn't be too hard.

5. LOOOOL @ this thread.

Its funny to me cause my name is Mohammed.

Yea, my family is Muslim, although were kinda like the go pray once a year on a special occasion kinda family. Im Atheist but i was raised in the faith.

So i guess people could ask me questions bout it? LOL Keep in mind though, no one in my family is religious at all, so i only have limited knowledge about Islam.

About the drawing Mohammed thing. I think its less about criticizing Islam, and more about the fact that the religion says that nobody(not even Muslims) should depict an image of the prophet because they think that it will lead to people worshiping the symbol of Mohammed rather than God himself.

That kinda gets lost in the whole stupidity of everything going on.

6. #46 Zylark, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    dumdidumdidum... from the koran...

2:191-193 - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

2:244 - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

2:216 - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

3:56 - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

3:151 - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority."

4:74 - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

4:76 - "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…"

4:89 - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

4:95 - "Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and receive no hurt, and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah with their goods and their persons. Allah hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit (at home). Unto all (in Faith) Hath Allah promised good: But those who strive and fight Hath He distinguished above those who sit (at home) by a special reward,-"

4:104 - "And be not weak hearted in pursuit of the enemy; if you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain..."

5:33 - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

8:12 - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them."

8:15 - "O ye who believe! When ye meet those who disbelieve in battle, turn not your backs to them. (16)Whoso on that day turneth his back to them, unless maneuvering for battle or intent to join a company, he truly hath incurred wrath from Allah, and his habitation will be hell, a hapless journey's end."

8:39 - "And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah"

8:57 - "If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember."

8:59-60 - "And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah's Purpose). Lo! they cannot escape. Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy."

9:5 - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."

9:14 - "Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace..."

9:20 - "Those who believe, and have left their homes and striven with their wealth and their lives in Allah's way are of much greater worth in Allah's sight. These are they who are triumphant."

9:29 - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

9:30 - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

9:38-39 - "O ye who believe! what is the matter with you, that, when ye are asked to go forth in the cause of Allah, ye cling heavily to the earth? Do ye prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? But little is the comfort of this life, as compared with the Hereafter. Unless ye go forth, He will punish you with a grievous penalty, and put others in your place."

9:41 - "Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! That is best for you if ye but knew."

9:73 - "O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination."

9:88 - "But the Messenger, and those who believe with him, strive and fight with their wealth and their persons: for them are (all) good things: and it is they who will prosper."

9:111 - "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur'an: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme."

9:123 - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

25:52 - "Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but strive against them with the utmost strenuousness, with the (Qur'an)."

47:4 - "So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners,"

48:17 - "There is no blame for the blind, nor is there blame for the lame, nor is there blame for the sick (that they go not forth to war). And whoso obeyeth Allah and His messenger, He will make him enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; and whoso turneth back, him will He punish with a painful doom."

48:29 - "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves"

61:4 - "Surely Allah loves those who fight in His way"

61:10-12 - "O ye who believe! Shall I lead you to a bargain that will save you from a grievous Penalty?- That ye believe in Allah and His Messenger, and that ye strive (your utmost) in the Cause of Allah, with your property and your persons: That will be best for you, if ye but knew! He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity."

66:9 - "O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be stern with them. Hell will be their home, a hapless journey's end."

---

Do note that the arabic word for struggle (in most koranic contexts "holy war"), "jihad", have in the english translation been translated to "strive".

I've bolded a few of the real gems.

I have not included the Hadiths (sayings and acts of muhammed) covering the topic of waging war against unbelievers in islam. If I did, this would be a very, very long post.

Do keep in mind that mainstream islam, reads the koran (and sunna and hadiths) literally. Unlike say mainstream judaism and christianity, that also got quite the few less than pleasant verses in their respective books.

7. Raising an issue over drawings is "childish and immature". "Killing/maiming/hurting people over it" is psychotic.

8. There is a massive difference between Middle East radicals and other Muslims. Not only are you disrespecting the radicals that follow Islam, but everyone that follows that faith. Not every follower of Islam wants to blow up the US. Malaysia has a huge amount of Muslims, but does Malaysia want to fuck us over? No, it's the radicals that we are worried about, not the entire population of Islam.

To disrespect such a vast population just confirms the West's retarded arrogance.

9. From my perspective, it's a lot of fundamentalist Christians hating on all Muslims because of fundamentalist Islam, and fundamentalist Muslims hating on westerners because of fundamentalist Christians (and our meddling in the region, of course). If it weren't so damn frustrating and stupid it would be hilarious. Oh, who am I kidding, I don't care, it's funny regardless.

10. A lot of what you wrote sounds similar to what the Bible says, but not nearly as harsh or violent. I wasn't aware that there was so much hatred for non-believers stemming just from their belief system... wow :cool: You learn something new every day!

11. I think that drawing muhammad is well within the writes of free speech but doing something which isnt even really that funny just to piss people off is just stupid. Some people are truly willing to kill over religion. Though here in Western nations we view this as barbaric are we so insensitive as a nation that we will do anything to make a couple people laugh. You may say what is the world coming to when people will kill over religion but i say what is america coming to when we do anything no matter how offensive just to make a point about our rights and demonstrate our blatant xenophobia.:mad:

12. Well I was going to respond to your post with pretty much the same quotes, but someone was kind enough to do it for me. Thanks dude.

Anyways, yes, indeed it is similar to the bible, but not acted upon anymore due to the age of reason. However most muslims do not live in the age of reason, and therefore actually act upon said verses.

13. Yeah I was reading a link the other day about how female "circumcision" (aka destruction of a woman's best part: her clit) is encouraged over there, and the people are encouraged not to listen to their doctors regarding the potential, uh... wait, why the fuck does a doctor need to tell someone this again?

They're definitely not in the age of reason :p

14. Compared to extremist muslims openly annoucning there war(cultural, spiritual and physical) against the west....

15. I drew one. I gave him a giant Bob Ross afro and tinted him brown and had the words MOHAMMED FUCK YEAH in there next to him.

Be as religious as you want, but when your religious needs try to affect what I can and cannot do with my time, I stop giving a fuck. What's next? I just joined a religion of my own making and it is offensive to me when anyone who is not part of my religion expresses any kind of faith not related to my religion. Death to all religious people not part of my cult!

Don't tell me what I can't do!

16. shun the non-believer! shunnnnnnnnnnnnn!

[​IMG]