Seriously, do you ever sit and wonder who thought it was a good idea to mix peanut butter with jelly

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Sublime, Aug 9, 2016.

1. I sure do. All the time. Like whoever thought of this is honestly on spot. It just seems like such a weird combination... "This peanut butter sandwich is good, but what about this peanut butter AND jelly sandwich?" that guy is like the reese's guy. figuring out chocolate and peanut butter mix so well. man, peanut butter mixes well with a lot of stuff. maybe peanut butter and french fries. i mean shit, you never know don't judge before oyu try it. it could be amazing. or peanut butter and watermelon!

• Like Like x 2
  2. The best ideas come from high times.

• Like Like x 2
  3. i enjoy seein threads like this puts a smile on my face

• Like Like x 3
  4. Did you ever think when you were a little kid that jelly fish actually make jelly? Lol xD SpongeBob didn't tell me that but why are they called jellyfish..hmm

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nuts and berries being gathered together? I'd like to meet the person that figured out pineapples and chicken

• Like Like x 1
  6. "The first located reference to the now immortal peanut butter and jelly sandwich was published by Julia Davis Chandler in 1901. This immediately became a hit with America's youth, who loved the double-sweet combination, and it has remained a favorite ever since.... During the early 1900s peanut butter was considered a delicacy and as such it was served at upscale affairs and in New York's finest tearooms. Ye Olde English Coffee House made a 'Peanut Butter and Pimento Sandwich.' The Vanity Fair Tea-Room served its peanut butter with watercress.... The Colonia Tea-Room served peanut butter on toast triangles and soda crackers. That peanut butter could be combined with so many diverse products demonstrated that it was a relatively neutral platform providing a nutty taste and a sticky texture that bound together various ingredients.

Peanut butter sandwiches moved down the class structure as the price of peanut butter declined due to the commercialization of the industry. Peanut butter's use also moved down the age structure of the nation as manufacturers added sugar to the peanut butter, which appealed to children. The relationship between children and peanut butter was cemented in the late 1920s, when Gustav Papendick invented a process for slicing and wrapping bread. Sliced bread meant that children could make sandwiches themselves without slicing the bread with a potentially dangerous knife. As a consequence of low cost, high nutrition, and ease of assembling, peanut butter sandwiches became one of the top children's meals during the Depression."

Source: Peanuts: The Illustrious History of the Goober Pea, Andrew F. Smith. University of Illinois Press, Urbana. 2001

• Like Like x 3
  7. the best combinations do come from high minds, my personal bests were deep fried dorito crumbed cheesestrings, and adding both BBQ sauce, and a cheese patty to an XL bacon double cheeseburger from burger king

8. Hardee's all natural burger buns on any burger. Those buns are magnificent.

9. In a way it makes perfect sense to conjoin the salty with the sweet. It would seem like a natural evolution for that culinary marriage.

10. Well first it was a meat spread than jelly mint jelly often was used.

11. And I wonder who it was who created round wheels. Maybe there were people experimenting with triangular, square and octagonal wheels, until someone thought, "why don't we use a round one?"

12. Oh my god yes! Seriously people, where have you been?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lots of different names

PB&J
    Choke and Slide

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Peanut butter and NUTELLA

15. Eh, not too big on the nutella! But I'm a plain jane, I'm picky like that.

16. You're entitled to your own tastebuds lol
    I go through nutella phases. And it has to be fresh fresh

17. Trust me, I wish I liked everything, it's not like I sit around wanting to hate food. I loveeee the food I do eat so I wish I could just grab anything and just like it but I'm not that way unfortunately.

My gma eats nutella from time to time too.

18. I don't like everything. I guess I'm pretty picky too now to think about it. I get really frustrated because half the food I do love I physically can't eat. I got lap band surgery a few years ago and there are different foods that just don't pass the restrictive band. Like steak. And Tuna. And grilled chicken. Hamburgers. And peanut butter and jelly sandwiches But I've lost a hundred pounds and feel amazing so it's worth it.

Also, your gma? You callin me old, boy?

19. Nooo I'm not calling you old, I just kinda put that out there, didn't really mean to insinuate that!
    That's awful, those are like totally the best foods in the world, minus tuna. Sorry! Picky eater, what can I say....