Serious seedling dilemma hydro

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Wolfbain, Oct 2, 2016.

1. I was trying a few new ways of germination trying to eliminate any interaction with the roots such as repotting or what have you. All failed, I'm assuming mostly because it's hard to get a straight answer for when to set the pump timer for the drip and my stubbornness to get as close to dropping a seed in the dirt and forgetting about it til it spouts as I can in hydro. I've got loose or flock rockwool in a small loose bundle around each seed, which is then tucked a few inches into my hydroton with the drip turned on, something that worked great my first go around. But I keep ending up with seedling that turn yellow or light brown and it spreads til they die. I'm not running any nutes yet, all that's been added to my res is ph down to correct to 5.9, and some subculture B. The bennies were a new addition so I know that they aren't what's causing the issues but I can't figure it out or find anything close to what I'm dealing with when I scour the forums here. My temps are perfect for seedlings as is my humidity. My led is powerful for babies but it's 2' away which again has worked great in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long winded explanation

2. Sprout in rockwool or soak in water till tap root shows Once a seed sprouts it lives off the cotyledons and doesn't need nutes for the first week or so , you are nute burning them

3. No, like I said I haven't added any nutrients. What's found in subculture B is miniscule, so much so that almost any soil including old and spent will have several times the nutrients. At least read the post before replying.

4. Rock wool in a small loose bundle? Can you show a pic? I would use the paper towel method to crack the seed, then put it right into a cube of regular rock wool, no loose bundles of anything. As far as the nutes go in that stuff you're using, it's hard for you to argue that it's not strong enough to burn the seedlings when that's exactly the symptoms you're describing. Just my $.02 good luck bro, hope you get it figured out, always learning

Sent from my SM-G900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. If I was experiencing nute burn then every single grower using soil who just drops their seeds in about an inch would lose everything plant they grew. I posted a pic of the one that's having troubles, but I apparently closed the Web page before it uploaded so I'll post that and a pic of the contents of subculture B just to show what I'm working with.

6. The leaves don't look bad currently, but the past few girls have started like this and in a week more than half of the plant will be the color that the tips are now.
    I'm using loose rockwool, more commonly known as flock. It's only purpose is to keep moisture levels high while the seed germinates. My first grow went great as far as germinating. I didn't run into problems til I added nutes which taught me to know better, and when my roots hit the res which was way to warm, also corrected.
    And as far as nute burn, subculture B has .1% nitrogen, which is the highest concentration in it, and that's before I cut the dose down to half the recommended. People start their seedlings with 1/8 nutrients which with the grow nutes I have equals .75% nitrogen. On top of the fact that this identical problem has been happening and this is the first time I've tried this product. I really thought it was my humidity levels fluctuating too much but I tried the dome technique and it didn't change anything

Attached Files: