Semi Perpetual Energy

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Tokesmith, Jan 30, 2014.

1. #1 Tokesmith, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    (Made a mistake instead of using semi perpetual energy as the name, I should've used renewable energy source). Let's say I want to power a lamp. Now say I have a wind turbine connected to a "semi perpetual motion machine or SPMM"( one of those YouTube ones). The energy used from the windmill gives the SPMM the start up energy it needs for the rotation to begin. The machine rotates with the help of the magnets and still has wind pumping in more energy. Without the wind it would stop rotating pretty fast. But there's magnets to give it some extension time. So when it's windy your pumping in more and more energy and when there's no wind the energy is being conserved. In theory can the lamp stay on for a longer amount of time with this machine? Is there any law that says this cannot happen? Maybe SPMM isn't the best name for this. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

After "extracting" the kinetic energy from the wind, efficiency of a turbine is <75%. 

What on earth is "semi" perpetual machine supposed to mean lol wouldn't everything be "semi" perpetual?

Is there any law that says this cannot happen?

a law that says what can't happen? You didn't suggest anything happening.

Can "Semi-Perpetual" even exist? It is either one or the other........can't be both.

• Like Like x 1
    Exactly, which is why I asked "wouldn't everything Semi perpetual?

5. [quote name="PeterParker" post="19431278" timestamp="1391039359"]After "extracting" the kinetic energy from the wind, efficiency of a turbine is <75%. What on earth is "semi" perpetual machine supposed to mean lol wouldn't everything be "semi" perpetual?Is there any law that says this cannot happen?a law that says what can't happen? You didn't suggest anything happening.[/quote]focus on the concept. Those YouTube perpetual motion machines all have some sort of external force(a hand spinning the blade). If the external force were replaced with something that reoccurs like the wind, couldn't the lamp always stay on?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

No...everything would be semi...it can't be both. I mean technically the action would be semi....then the piece of shit sitting there would sit there perpetually. Hmmm, somehow I think we are both right. Quite the conundrum isn't it? LOL

7. Hook the darn thing up to a battery and you can keep the light on.  Simple matter of energy storage and a renewable energy source.

No either the atmosphere or sun will deplete before forever and the wind will stop and the light will go out. Again what is semi perpetual? Just tell me, don't say focus on the concept.  Cause "what is the concept" is what Im asking. The phrase semi perpetual doesn't even make sense literally.

9. [quote name="PeterParker" post="19431525" timestamp="1391041644"]No either the atmosphere or sun will deplete before forever and the wind will stop and the light will go out. Again what is semi perpetual? Just tell me, don't say focus on the concept. Cause "what is the concept" is what Im asking. The phrase semi perpetual doesn't even make sense literally.[/quote] think of semi as "kind of". So it kind of runs forever. The energy is conserved and is used longer than its original potential would allow. Obviously this wouldn't last forever(atmosphere) but couldn't this continue running for awhile?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. #10 PeterParker, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    Sure we've been harnessing wind power for along time now. Think mills & sails....sorry for being obtuse 

maybe "renewable" is a better term then "semi perpetual"

11. [quote name="fearjar" post="19431285" timestamp="1391039460"]Can "Semi-Perpetual" even exist? It is either one or the other........can't be both.[/quote]Yes...it is either energy is transferred between objects ("semi perpetual motion?") or an object hoards its energy for life. The law of conservation of energy says it can't be created or destroyed. So yes for a windmill to work in any capacity in the manner you described (user inputs startup energy, nature inputs some energy to keep it going), energy must be transferred to it. As another poster suggested, the energetic efficiency of any system relates how "perpetual" it is through precise mathematics. It's simply a calculation to determine how long it will keep going and another simple calculation to show that that time value is definitely finite. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum