self watering containers?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by percolating, May 30, 2010.

1. i got a little nursery started and im thinking about moving them out to a secluded area that i cant visit regularly. So im making a self watering container out of a 15 gallon container and 3, 1-gallon plastic bottles. The idea is to carry out water once a week to try to stay discreet. Has anyone tried something similar? And suggestions are welcome

2. the problem with self water is that it always keeps the soil wet(at all times) mj likes a little dryness(not super dry like dead but you know lol) in between watering

3. I've used a self watering seed tray, but I always let it run dry for a day just as the seeds start breaking the soil. I have to carry a gallon of water when I go out to my plants.

I've read about a wick system where you have a container of water with a cord/wick coming from the top. The other end of the wick is circled around the plant above ground. As the cord/wick soaks up water from the container, it reaches the plant and water from the wick deposits itself on the top soil close to the plants watering the plant. I also read someone who buried the wick along with the roots so the water would wick out next to the roots.

I've never tried it because I live in the city and anything out of place in the park, forest or field has a 50-50 chance of being seen