Self training plants method?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Budderball, Apr 23, 2012.

1. #1 Budderball, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
    Don't know if anyone has done this before, was wondering how it would work out.

Basically it's a pane of glass separating the lights and the plants. The plants would grow into the glass and become vertically restricted. This is where I need help, as I'm not sure what happens next. I'm thinking they would continue growing horizontally basically LSTing themselves, making a super bushy plant(s) with many budsites and a even canopy.

I'm sure the glass pane would absorb and reflect some light resulting in a loss of lumens. However, this could be potentially offset by allowing your plant(s) to be much closer to the bulbs, less than an inch. Having all of your heat totally separated from your grow would also be a great advantage, makes cooling a much easier task.

Would it work? Something tells me I'm not the first to think of this, but I ran a search and couldn't find anything.

Thoughts, insight, criticism much appreciated.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Keep raising the light, possibly? I use a similar setup, except with a scrog. I made mine out of a large old dresser. I emptied everything out and used the top drawer area to house an air cooled hps light. My glass is a large rectangular Pyrex baking dish that is sunk into a piece of wood separating the light from the grow area.

3. I mean keep the light/glass stationary to physically restrict vertical growth; forcing the plant to bush out. This assumes you can keep the glass panel cool enough, which in my case, with the cfl's, I can.

4. Thats actually a great idea imo.. I might try it on a few clones to see what happens.

5. this I like, good luck m8 =)

6. Seems like it would really restrict airflow, have you considered doing it with a screen instead?

7. But they're cfls... You could grow the plant through the bulb if you wanted to...

8. Great post..very helpful and in full detail, answers most of my questions about lst..thanx

9. i wanna see more! great idea