Seeds won't germinate!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Thane_dogg, Nov 16, 2009.

1. #1 Thane_dogg, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
    I'm trying to germinate these seeds that I bought from worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com.

I first tried putting the seeds inside the fold of a moist paper toil, on a dinner plate, with another dinner plate on top. I've also put a heating pad folded inside a bath towel under the plates. I put it inside the bath towel because I am in a dry climate, and on the first germination attempt, the heating pad caused the paper towel to dry out because the plate got too hot.

I put four seeds in the towel and between the plates before a day before I went out of town for 3 days.

I came back and checked 'em and only one of 'em had barely cracked.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Do I need to wait longer?

The seeds were two barneys farm Violator Kush fem, and two ch9 herijuana jack 33 fem.

2. Use a plastic zip lock bag not plates and put them in them by a window. Keep them in the moist paper towel though. It can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks to germ., but usually with that method I have been successful with in 3 days and 10 seeds.

3. I will definitely try that.

Also I should wait until the seeds have about a centimeter of root before I plant them into my medium?

Rockwool btw.

4. He is 100% correct. I have been getting root taps between 3-5 days. You can also use a tupperware to put the damp paper towel in. and as soon as the seed's cracked and you see a white nub (at least 1/8- 1/4 inch long) then go ahead and plant.

+Rep BackInTheDaze :)

5. Thanks, i am not an expert, but i would love to show off my plant some more. my first grow went well and i am happy, cant wait to show offf some pictures, but anyway yes the rock wool is fine. use a sharp pencil and poke holes in the center of the soil then insert root as far as it goes and when it is kinda snug in there. works for me and keep a light close to it from there on.

6. #6 Grasshumper, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
    i have had excellent success with letting seeds sit in small cup of water for 24 hrs then put in moist paper towel inside of ziplock. somehow this seems to speed up the process and lessen the chance of failure. the seeds will usually go from cup to sprout in soil in 4 days. and they are always healthy. for the most part i have to get rid of some cause it works so well

7. I put in wet paper towel folded over a couple times, then in sealed ziploc bag then put in a black folded piece of vinyl from my grow tent to assure no light gets in at all. I put them in my grow closet on the top shelf where it is 80 degrees or so. I get at least 1/2 of my seeds germinated with tap roots within 24 hours and the rest w/in 48 hours. Has worked every time. :smoking:

8. well last night when I put the paper towel inside the ziploc, I added 10 Jock Horror seeds that I bought from a different seed bank, and they are NOT feminized.

We'll see how this goes.

Thanks for your help everyone.

9. I find it totally un-neccesary and a pointless step to germinate seeds. Why not just throw them in the soil 1/4 inch down and let mother nature take her course?

10. Does that work a high percentage of the time?

Have you used this method with repeated success?

I understood that with a little extra work you can achieve 99% success germinating seeds.

11. we germinate cause seeds are expensive and you will have a better success rate and healthier plants all around. now you can be jonny weed seed and plant em in soil right away. but seasoned growers know from trial and error germinating is the only way to go. if you are using bag seed then i guess you got seeds to waste

12. I use a shot glass full of luke-warm water, put in a warm area (like on top of my water heater) and put a dark colored cup over it to keep it dark. Leave for 24 to 30 hours; once the seed sinks down, it should almost definitely sprout. 95% of mine have using this method.

Sometimes, though, the seeds will stay afloat on an air bubble or something, and you can just shake the shot glass gently until the seed sinks, or stir it with your pinky. (Make sure your fingers are clean)

13. you are totally right to germ dude dont be led astray. if you get lazy you wont have a productive grow

14. That kid doesn't know what he is talking about, nor has he grown don't listen to anyone about growing, just take the tips and use them how you will. there are many ways to grow. But a bit of advise don't take advise from anyone who has joined recently unless they have a grow of there own going. Glad we could help.

15. yes actually. I've never failed to germinate a seed by putting it in a cup of water, waiting a few hours for it to sink, then planting 1/4 down in soil and keeping the surface moist with a spray bottle, keeping the whole thing under a CFL for heat.

16. you should really let sit in the paper towel until it sprouts a taproot. just planting in the soil will also sometimes lead to an "exposed taproot" if this happens plant will suffer alot of stress and if it recovers will be a low yeilding plant. you can make all the arguments you want but the proof is in the pudding and my lungs. good luck get growing or you will be on this forever. you are gonna find conflicting info in almost every thread the best bet is do all your homework and go with what seems most logical to you. and experiment all sucessful growers experiment to find there own best way. peace its almost 4:20 here:smoking:

17. I got a sprout!

I'm gonna take a picture in the morning.

18. Germinating is easy. Growing to bud... well- anyway.

I've done it all germinating-wise. The best and easiest has been the tiny peat-cups with a compressed puck of neutral growing medium. Put the puck in the cup and wet. It will swell and fill the cup. Might need a little stirring. Poke a hole (I use a chopstick) about 1/8"-1/4" deep. Don't go too deep!

Drop seed in and cover lightly with growing medium. Ten of these at a time covered with a bit of saran wrap in a plastic container should see strong healthy sprouts in just a few days.

This is so simple and stoner-proof. They should all be up within a day or so of each other. As soon as I see each of them coming up they get light.

Good luck.

19. Congrats! just remove some dirt off it, so some light can get to it. It will really take off then..

Good Luck man!

20. good job man where's that pic?