Seeds Refuse to Germinate

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by live4u120, Nov 17, 2010.

1. I've been using the paper towel method to pop my seeds, you know, warm water and dark area. After about 3 days they haven't changed much at all. They've become darker, and their central seams are becoming more defined, but by a small amount. Is this normal? Or should I step in and do something to them? Or is it just time to get other seeds?

2. Id leave them for a couple more days then look for some new beans. Did you order them or just bagseed?

3. Ill aree with viper... some of my beans take as long as 5 days to sprout using the paper towel method.

as long as they are in the dark and 70F - 80F, you shouldnt have a problem.

4. Are you sure they weren't cracked at all before you started?

Also agree to leave then a few more days. If they don't pop by then you could try to gently abrade the seams a little with an emery board and then continue to let them soak.

5. go to books a million and get urself a book.

but for now. idk who told u 3 days their wrong wait a week and a half. when u see the lil white taproot sticking out id say wait about another day and plant. make sure that ur halfing the paper towel and both sides of the seed are covered.

if germination doesnt work for u try just planing it normally. i do it both ways and each always work unless the seeds a dud.

oh look at ur seeds? are the cracked? what color are they? if they are light no good throw them out, if theyre dark brown with black lines good plant those

6. Ive seen it take 10 to 12 days some times. Seeds do it when they are ready. Many people are just impatient

7. i agree. this part always feels like it takes the longest. ive had seeds wait up to 2 weeks before and ive had them in about 6 days.
    -
    oh also another thing about the seeds. careful where u store them. plastics arent absorbent so theyre usually good avoid absorbent materials like paper or cardboard

8. I got the seeds from a friend who grows incredibly dank stuff, and yeah, they are dark with black lines, but the seams are actually a little brighter than the shell, today when I checked them the seams were almost light brown.

9. im not sure if seams have anything to do with it. if the seeds are coming from a good source then they should be fine. just give them time if its more then 2-3 weeks and mold is starting to grow around them theyre no good, but till then give them a chance and theyll be fine

10. Yeah man, Ive had a hard time a couple times as well using this method... My latest one I just dropped in the soil today, threw the seed in a wet paper towel and put that in a ziploc 4 days ago...

11. I suppose I should just wait more, I'll give it a week and if not, I'll get new seeds. For now would it be a good idea to put a backup seed in a shot glass of water? Just to make sure?