Seeds or Clones?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CallMeJelly, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Hey there GC im starting my first grow soon and would like to know before hand what you find better, Seeds or Clones? not only just buying seeds but producing them yourself, do they cause the plant/bud to become lower quality? im pretty sure without producing myself i have a pretty steady supply of seeds but after a while id like to reproduce them myself, so what method is;faster,easier,and more reliable in you opinion? I'm working indoors in soil if that means anything.

2. :wave: I like to grow from seed much more than clones (unless I took the clones myself) I would never buy clones. Seeds are cheap enough and easier to ship. Also clones often come with own problems.

I have never made my own seeds but its looks simple enough and many growers on here do it, just buy regular seeds. Some people say that seeded bud is less potent but I've smoked nice bud that has had seeds in it in the past :smoke:

3. #3 Jellyman, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    I haven't performed side by side comparisons with seeded and sensi clones of the exact same plant but as far as I can tell, seeded plants just have considerably less smokable bud and aren't really less potent.

The problem with growing seed crops is pollen. It is both very sticky and very airborne, so it gets everywhere. Once you flower males, every inch of the entire grow area needs to be very thoroughly cleaned before you can have any hope of growing sensi females in the same place. Even then, it's a good bet that you'll still get some seeds.

On top of the pollen problem, seeds can have significant genetic differences and also may turn out to be male. Clones don't have this issue. They'll always be the exact same plant and will always be the gender of the mother, barring hermaphroditism-inducing stress. To get the best results with breeding, alot of time must be invested. Any seeds produced need to be tested using quite a bit of trial and error. They have to be grown, flowered, smoked and finally compared to other seeds. Some phenotypes are rare in their own genetic line, so any given cross may require the testing of dozens of seeds before such a rare pheno is even discovered.

Clones also have a head start on the growth process since they start out bigger with fully formed leaves.

Breeding can be fun and is the source of new and wonderful varieties. It can accomplish alot for the stoner world that the breeder might have reason to be very proud of. That said, imho it should be kept separate from growing crops to smoke. If you're willing to put in the effort, create seeds to breed one or more killer plants. But once you've created them, save them as mothers and grow crops of clones for smoking purposes.

4. You can create feminized seeds through 3 means. Light leak, allowing your buds to go past maturity which will cause a hermaphradation, and spraying with Coloidal Silver.

Quality isnt effected and if you spray appropriately you can hermie just a branch at a time to keep some more smokeable buds.

Growing from a seed is definitely the best way to go and generally will yield better. Branching is more even from a seed as opposed to the alternating branching from a cut clone. I've started seeds, grown the plant, cut clones from it, and then grown the clones...everything stays the same albeit the branching :)

5. Personaly preference.

I like growing from seed because I like watching the girls grow & develop. And i like seeing what different phenos I get from plant to plant.

If you know what you want & have it availible as a clone or you just want a shorter grow time then go for it.

Like i said, its down to personal prference (in my opinion anyway)

6. I would never recommend anyone grows from seed unless they want to spend many hundreds in seeds. You would need 4 times more seeds than clones to even approach doing it from seed properly, half will be males, half will get thinned out just because not every bean pops the nicest pheno.

Faster...easier...more reliable is definately clones. Also much more consistant. If you have a good reliable source of clones you should take advantage of that fact.

7. [quote name='"Gnomepunter"']I would never recommend anyone grows from seed unless they want to spend many hundreds in seeds. You would need 4 times more seeds than clones to even approach doing it from seed properly, half will be males, half will get thinned out just because not every bean pops the nicest pheno.

Faster...easier...more reliable is definately clones. Also much more consistant. If you have a good reliable source of clones you should take advantage of that fact.[/quote]

Problem is sourcing a reliable supplier for your clones and knowing what sort of conditions they have been kept in and the health of the mother bugs and defs.... All to much to go wrong from clone unless you know where it has come from, etc.

Otherwise yes growing from clone is much easier but my
    Preference is to grow from seed if I'm not taking my own clones of coarse ;)

8. With the proliferation of clubs sourcing high quality clones is quite easy if you are lucky enough to live in a legal state. The beauty of it is, the people behind the counter know the vendors, they deal with us 3-4 days a week dropping off plants, they know who takes the time and takes care of their stuff if you ask. 5 years as a vendor and I still have to pass a 15-25 minute checkin with every one of my clones.

Side note, I see on here all the time "noone brings the "fire" (such a stupid word imo) to the clubs" and that is complete bullshit. Right now at the club most of my girls go to there is 4 trays of pink bubblegum that are completely off the chain, there is also a tray+ left of chocolate rain that I wish I had room for a mom of. Why are they at the club? Because the vendor just had a kid, he needs diapers and doesn't need hassle right now, it is just easier to make one trip and drop off 250. It is just about knowing what to look for and asking the folks behind the counter their take.

9. [quote name='"Gnomepunter"']With the proliferation of clubs sourcing high quality clones is quite easy if you are lucky enough to live in a legal state. The beauty of it is, the people behind the counter know the vendors, they deal with us 3-4 days a week dropping off plants, they know who takes the time and takes care of their stuff if you ask. 5 years as a vendor and I still have to pass a 15-25 minute checkin with every one of my clones.

Side note, I see on here all the time "noone brings the "fire" (such a stupid word imo) to the clubs" and that is complete bullshit. Right now at the club most of my girls go to there is 4 trays of pink bubblegum that are completely off the chain, there is also a tray+ left of chocolate rain that I wish I had room for a mom of. Why are they at the club? Because the vendor just had a kid, he needs diapers and doesn't need hassle right now, it is just easier to make one trip and drop off 250. It is just about knowing what to look for and asking the folks behind the counter their take.[/quote]

Sounds good buddy,
    Here in the UK it's still completely illegal so all the clones are sold on the black market again.....or else knowing a friend that knows a friend who is growing and selling clones...

10. I remember those days, good clones were very hard to find.

Funny thing out here is there are people advertising clones on Craigslist. I went to check some out once just to try and wrap my brain around selling clones... on craigslist.... how stupid do you have to be... anyways I went out to this dudes house (who invites people off craigslist to their home where they grow?) and checked them out, mites? check, thrips? check and to top it off when I asked what about the pm I was told "oh that just goes away once you put them outside". I had a flashback to exactly the sort of thing you are talking about.

11. [quote name='"Gnomepunter"']I remember those days, good clones were very hard to find.

Funny thing out here is there are people advertising clones on Craigslist. I went to check some out once just to try and wrap my brain around selling clones... on craigslist.... how stupid do you have to be... anyways I went out to this dudes house (who invites people off craigslist to their home where they grow?) and checked them out, mites? check, thrips? check and to top it off when I asked what about the pm I was told "oh that just goes away once you put them outside". I had a flashback to exactly the sort of thing you are talking about.[/quote]

Lmao what a joker, obviously knows shit all about cannabis cultivation and by the sound of things doesn't know any thing about the Laws on cannabis either..I mean Craigslist of all places and invites you openly to not only his home but to his grow so called grow operation.

That's the stuff of legends I haven't had to deal with any body that stupid but unfortunately all of my contacts know very little about what they are doing really its all a money making operation as far as they are concerned, they're there to sell not to advise.

But it's all good as I say I like growing from seed any how and take cuttings of things I like the most and hope to even make my own seeds and strains and some point.

:)

12. Go to the SF bay area Craigslist, type in "420". Weed, clones, even concentrates (so very illegal even in a legal state), everything you could want, all advertised right there for sale. It boggles my mind!

Most of my moms came from pairing down a huge batch of seeds. It is a labor of love to do it right from seed and why I recommend clones if you can get nice ones for beginners.

13. [quote name='"Gnomepunter"']Go to the SF bay area Craigslist, type in "420". Weed, clones, even concentrates (so very illegal even in a legal state), everything you could want, all advertised right there for sale. It boggles my mind!

Most of my moms came from pairing down a huge batch of seeds. It is a labor of love to do it right from seed and why I recommend clones if you can get nice ones for beginners.[/quote]

Clones are definitely a good place to start and also keeping a particular strain going. In fact
    image-457363156.jpg
    "here's one I made earlier" lol

My orange bud from Dutch passion, I'm truly in love with this strain!

14. Clones are faster, cheaper and you don't have to deal with males. Additionally, some of the best strains only come in clone form.

15. It's perfectly legal as long as both parties have doctor recommendations.

16. [quote name='"SourDeezel420"']Clones are faster, cheaper and you don't have to deal with males. Additionally, some of the best strains only come in clone form.[/quote]

Oh yeah there is the Strain thing too. Like the Proper UK cheese that was only available as a clone for years.