Seeds not germinating?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by peacehappy, Jan 19, 2013.

1. So I have about 9 seeds, just tried to germ 2 of them with the bag and paper towel technique but no luck, so I put them in a glass with water in it, still no luck 4 days have passed wtf?? I germinated my first one in 20 hrs. Any other things I can try?

2. whats the temperature? it should be around 20-25C (68-77F), temperatures significantly above or below this range reduce chances of success.

you should never leave seeds under water for so long, its likely theyve suffocated and started rotting inside by now. the best method is to soak them in water for 24 hours and then plant them in your growing medium.

3. Well I wouldn't go from method to method with the same seeds. If they don't germ in a week in a paper towel I'd chalk it up as a bad seed.

4. would you plant it after 24 hours in water even if the seed hadn't popped?

5. Curious why everyone swears by the paper towel method? Seems like an extra step that will potentially allow you to break the root while moving it around. Why not just straight into your medium? I just took dry seeds straight into soaked, PH'ed rockwool and it looks like I'm 100%. Not sure why so many people do it with paper towels. Just seems like another step that can snap the taproot and kill the seedling.

6. Idk but heard the method and first seed germinated in 24 hrs. I guess I will drop into my coco coir tonight?

7. Idk about Coco, but I plan on using the rockwool method from here on out. It's easy and I like not having to mess with it. Plus I'm doing DWC, so it will go straight from the cloning dome to my DWC setup so the rockwool is good to use anyway. I did soil last time though, and used rockwool with clones and they worked also. This way just seems easier with less to screw up. I like to take as much human error out as possible that's why my room is equipt with many different timers and temp controllers so I don't have to mess with it. I like the single step of unwrapping the seed from the breeders pack and straight into rockwool, then a week to 2 weeks later we have a plant. I don't like moving it around so much.

I've heard others say they do the same thing with straight soil and water. I don't quite understand the paper towel phenomenon.

8. I think it makes people feel good to see it sprout and they are nervous about germinating when they spend alot for seeds.

I am a breeder so I have thousands of seeds but I can assure you that they will germinate just fine in rock wool. Even when I do fork out some $ for new genetics I still germ in rock wool cubes.

For outdoor I start seeds in peat/perlite in solo cups.

It's just what one becomes accustomed to and deems reliable but I'm with you, it's just easier and perhaps a bit safer to germinate right in the substrate in which you'll be growing in.

-TGL-

9. I hAd another question Bout cloning. I took a cutting with 2 nodes And cut it at 45 degree cut again underwater and dipped in rooting solution, put in coco coir. Leaves died but stem still green. Tried this with 5 others. I have lights about 2 feet from it, and watering / spraying daily. What can I do for them?

10. Nothing unfortunately. Your mothod for taking the cuttings was good, I personally dont do the cut under water thing but it does'nt hurt. I would not try to root cuttings in coco. If you are growing in coco or soil try rapid rooters or a mix of peat moss and perlite.

11. All I did for my clones were PH'ed rockwool, take the cutting cut at 45 degree angle, then I splite the stem at the bottom in half, then half again (so in quarters), then dipped into CloneX, and into PH'ed rockwool. Left them alone in a humidity dome under 1 CFL for a week to 2 weeks. Took 8 clones 8 clones rooted. Rockwool seems foolproof. I'll be using it for all my germination needs. Clones I'll be making a misting cloner before too long.

Again, you can take my .02 with a grain of salt as this is only my second grow, but I read a ton, and have a lot of common sense, and it just can't wait to see how the DWC does, especially with real genetics. The stuff I got from some bagseed I grew in my first grow was nice and all, but I want good stuff. lol. Can't wait to try that Lemon Skunk. It's been so long since I"ve had some good skunk. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

12. What is the DWC and where you buy seeds? I just have bag seed

13. Germinating and Planting Seeds
    To germinate, seeds need moisture, warmth, and air (oxygen).

Moisture
    Soaking seeds in water allows moisture to penetrate
    the protective seed shell within minutes.
    Moisture continues to wick in to activate the
    dormant hormones. In 24-72 hours, hormones
    activate and send signals to produce a small white
    rootlet (radicle).
    Moisture is critical now. There must be a
    constant stream of moisture to transport nutrients,
    hormones, and water in order to carryon
    life processes. For best results use distilled water.
    Letting germinated seeds suffer moisture stress
    now will stunt seedling growth.

warmth
    Cannabis seeds grow best at 78F
    (2SoC). Low temperatures (below
    70F [21C]) delay germination.
    High temperatures (above 90F
    [32C]) cause poor germination.
    Once germinated, move seedlings
    to a slightly cooler growing area and
    increase light levels. Avoid high
    temperatures and low light levels,
    which cause lanky growth.

Air (oxygen)
    Cannabis seeds grow best at 78F
    (2SoC). Low temperatures (below
    70F [21C]) delay germination.
    High temperatures (above 90F
    [32C]) cause poor germination.
    Once germinated, move seedlings
    to a slightly cooler growing area and
    increase light levels. Avoid high
    temperatures and low light levels,
    which cause lanky growth.
    Seeds need air to germinate. Moist,
    soggy growing mediums will cut off
    oxygen supplies and the seed will
    literally drown. Planting seeds too
    deeply also causes poor germination.
    Seedlings do not have enough
    stored energy to force through too
    much soil before sprouting. Plant
    seeds twice as deep as the width
    of the seed. For example, plant a
    0.12S-inch (0.3 mm) seed 0.2S-inch
    (6mm) deep.

14. Thanks grow kings, it's only been 48 hours so I guess I can give it one more day then drop it in soil. Pray for the seeds!! Lol

15. no prob
    Happy Growing

16. DWC = Deep Water Culture. Basically you just take a tote or bucket and fill it with your water/nutrients cut a hole in the top of the bucket and put a net pot inside and your plant goes straight into that and the roots just dangle down, eventually getting into the water (you manually water each day until they reach the water). If you just had that though the roots would rot as they need some air, so you put an air pump with an airstone into the water bucket to blow air in the water. I guess the theory is that instead of the plants having to search for the nutrients and spend that energy like in soil, they have all the nutrients they need available at all times, so they spend all their energy growing. Seems like a cool little system.