Seeds germinating in a wet paper towel, under a lamp.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Miss_Bong_Swats, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Alright guys, I'm new to everything. I became an enthusiast roughly 6 or 7 months ago. Today, I decided, was the day I try to grow my first plant. I've been talking about it for a couple weeks, doing some research, and trying to make do with the supplies I have access to.

This is what I've done so far: Put the seeds in a damp (Barely moist) paper towel, folded it, and placed it directly under a common house lamp.

Will this be enough for them to start growing so I can plant them?

2. Get that lamp away from it, you want to recreate mother nature. Keep it in a moist warm area thats dark. But, to answer your question yes it will germinate fine.

3. :eek:!! Okay, they're away from the lamp and on the windowsill. That's the best I can really do to re-create mother nature. There really isn't anywhere in the apartment that's especially warm.. Oh! Mine and my boy friend's computers are on 24/7 because we're gamers. I could put it on top of my PC. That always stays warm. Would that be a good idea?

4. May I ask what your plans are once they sprout?

5. Ya the computer would work as long as its dark.

6. Kinda haven't gotten that far yet. My basic plan was to wait until they sprout, then find out what type of nutrients they need, get some plant food, and plant them with some sort of lighting system. How long will it take them to sprout?

7. It depends, there are several threads here that deal with germing, so read up! But if you plan on keeping them around to flower you probably have 1-3 (average) days to figure out the lighting aspect, and where they are going to be living.

8. Okay, there new spot is inside my grand mother's wooden jewelry box, inside a velvet lined drawer that I don't use and have no reason to open.

Did I do good? o_0;

9. #10 Miss_Bong_Swats, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    They'll be living in my bedroom. Is the normal day/night ratio okay? As in, relying on good ol' sunshine and nightfall?

I put 6 seeds in to germinate in hopes that at least 2 of them do.

Is is not a good idea to move the actual potted plants around? i.e.; from the bathroom to the bedroom? I live in a two bedroom apartment with one bathroom and a connected living room and kitchen. I want to keep them out of my room mate's way and figured my bedroom was the best spot to do so. But I can't put them on a lighting schedule if they're in my room because my boyfriend and I are up gaming at odd hours and our monitors give off light. :(

10. Your going to need to do a full setup. (Lights, Temp Control, Humidity, etc.) Just putting it in some daylight then moving it will not work.

11. I can appreciate your enthusiasm to start growing, but you need to have a plan before you start germinating. Figure out where you are going to grow, what you are going to grow in, what kind of lighting you have, etc. You really can't just wing this and expect to get anything in return. Do some research first.

12. Meh.

You really enthusiastic?

Go out at midnight with a ladder and take off the top guts to a streetlight.

With any luck, you'll land a metal halide ballast n bulb.

Haha. Seriously.

13. Sigh. The winging it thing only flew in high school...:(

14. ummm wing it.... well thats all well and good but did you forget, that this shit it illegal, whats the point of taking the risk, when your results are going to be shit... and trust me, without at least 100w of CFLs,HPS,MH or tube florescents, your wasting your time, and also if your dont have odor control, your increasing your risk.

To date my setup has cost me at least $700 dollars, and thats doing everything as cheap as possible with only 419w of CFL lighting. You need neuts, monitors , at the very least ph test strips. and maybe a soil moisture meter, cause if you have not grown before, the last thing you want to do is overwatter this shit.

I would really rethink what your doing and either commit to it..... or dont bother. i am not tryin to be an asshole. just telling you the raw truth. take care, and i hope you figure it out.

15. #17 Eilonwy, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    you've spent 700 dollars and your growing under cfls?

edit://

Are you trying to flower under those?

Might as well spend another $80 on an hps, those things are gonna kill your yield.

16. Well, $700 thats a lot. I grow fine under my conditions and I have spent maybe $150. It would have costed a lot more but you can always find stuff to use laying around, junk etc. Not including I wouldn't say its exactly hard to "grab" a few bulbs from home depot without paying.

17. well my grow cabinet was 100, my lights i have 10 CFL 42watters, was like 13 bucks a piece, 5 y spliters at 3 bucks each, my carbon scrubber and inline fan $250, my seeds 100, neuts $50, soil and pots about 50, PH meter, TDS meter, moisture meter, root hormone, extra flouros for clones, humidifier... i am sure i forgot some stuff... oh 3 6"fans..... ya 700 bucks give or take 50..... I am in canada btw... our stuff costs alot more, but then again we get paid more...

18. I would love a HPS, but my cabinet could not handle the heat, i only have 3 plants that i am flowering at a time, 419w should be alright for 3 plants i will see what happens.. I tried to buy from HTG supply , but they dont ship to canada.