Seedlings too hot?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BentStem, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Hi, my thermometer broke and I can't get to the store for a new one for a few days, so I'm wondering if anybody can eyeball these seedlings' temps if it's possible. Are the leaves pointing up like that due to heat, or is it just because I'm blasting them with so much light (600 watts)?

Thanks for any help,

Attached Files:

2. They look fine to me. You're best bet is to just use your hand to get a sense of temps. At this stage, you can and probably should have that 600w light as high (away) as possible.

3. Thanks. The light is just over a meter away, so I that's okay I think? The main thing that worried me is that I start pouring with sweat if I'm in there for more than a few minutes -- I could hold my hand by the plants all day without getting too hot, though. Is that what people mean when they say use your hand to test temps?

Plus I had a glass of water in there (soaking seeds) and after 12 hours of lights on it was lukewarm, like warm enough to shower in. And also I planted ten seeds and only two sprouted after 7 days, but they are ancient 5+ year old seeds so I dunno.

4. I don't know about the sweat test. By your description, it sounds too warm in there if water is shower temps and you're sweating. If I were you, I'd get some ventilation in there so the little ones can have some fresh air and some cooler temps. It's hard to know what do do without a temperature reading but that's my best guess.

5. ^I guess I'll find out when I get the temperature reading. I'll probably pick up another exhaust fan then anyway, summer is on its way here.

Also: does anybody think I should start feeding these seedlings now or wait until the real leaves come?? (growing in coco). Thanks,

6. I aim to keep my air temps at or lower than 25c (or 77 to 78f ) put a cheap thermometer near the plants and monitor it.
    Plants as young as yours don't need strong light yet but I've never seen it damage babies as long as it doesn't actually burn them. I would lift your light as high as possible above them for the time being.
    You don't need nutes for at least a couple weeks yet. Wait till the third set of real leaves sprout then start real low with the nute strength. Too strong is the quickest way to Fuk up young plants.
    G/L