Seedlings/Plants keep dieing

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Arahant, May 10, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I keep having this problem, is random and spuratic. I have a number of pot plants growing at different stages, for some reason young pot plants will randomly die. I had a seed left over from last year that i set going, it germinated and it grew to about 2" and was doing well, then one day i go to look at it and its keeled over. The very middle of the stem has suddenly started to get thin/dry out, above and below that middle spot is still normal, but as time passes from that point the plant just dries out and dies.

So i order more seeds, i start a couple non fem seeds i had from last year that i wasnt going to use but, anyways they both make it through the transition no problem and are now decently big. I get my seeds in the mail and start 4 of them, 2 were damaged out of the 6 i bought so i send away for replacement.

Everything is going fine they get to about 2" maby abit bigger, they are all side by side on a window sill then one day, later in the day when i go to check its the same thing and one of the 4 is wilted over, its thin/drying out in the middle of the stem, and i try to keep it moist but nothing i do can stop it from drying up and dieing, the other 3 continue on and are about 5" now and healthy.

I'm growing some watermelon plants to just because i want a garden and wanted to grow some other plants for fun, anyways at some point the same thing thats been happening, happens to two of my watermelon plants only these are much bigger and both have a couple stems, they dry up abit and some of the leaves wilt, but in the end they make a full recovery.

The 2 replacement seeds come in the mail and i started them about a week ago, for some reason one was kinda stunted didnt grow to quick, the other one grew quickly and today its about 2" then BAM i check on it and FML its wilted and has this problem. My phone doesnt take very good close ups but i had a magnifying glass around so i took the best picture i could of it, it shows how its just gotten really thin in the middle above and below its still the same thickness that the whole thing was. I feel like maby its a bug biting it or something, but why only some plants and not others, and why doesn't the plant heal itself?

I have a bunch of healthy plants but it hurts cause most of my plants were singles of a strain so i wont get to try them, i lost a kandy kush, acapulco gold, and berry blast so far. *sniff*

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      284.9 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      266 KB
      Views:
  2. We need all the info on your grow including:

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    What strain?
    How old are the plants?
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    How far from the lights?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    What size pots?
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?

If any of these questions have already been answered please disregard as I cut and paste this for everyone.

If there is leaf discoloration please TAKE PICTURES WITH ALL GROW LIGHTS OFF, ESPECIALLY HPS & LED's. Taking pictures and taking them with lights off, allows us to see what the leaf discoloration looks like.

3. Your experiencing what's called "damping off," sterilize your soil in the microwave and you have much better results. Dampen the soil when you put it in a clear container and cook it on high for 10 or 12 minutes per gallon of soil. You'll see moisture condensing on the sides and top of your container.

4. problem solved

5. THANK YOU! that helps so much and now i know what i need to do, wish i knew about this before could have saved a bunch of my plants. I have one seedling right now that vulnerable, going to spray it down with some garlic water as that is suppose to help.

again thank you very much.

6. Don't know about garlic water, but I was thinking about your issue last night while laying in bed... when you sterilize in the clear container, leave the lid laying on the top and not snapped on tight... you'll see the soil steaming, you'll know when it's ready, it'll be very, very hot... needs to be to kill the fungi, pathogens.