Seedlings in Need of Nutrients?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by djdasher, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Buds,

I recently saw one-week old seedlings that appeared to be nutrient deficient. The stems were purple and the leaves were pale and yellowing. The seedlings were in a potting soil based growing medium. Everything that I've ever read indicates that the new seedlings should be able to grow quite well in a soil based mixture for weeks before needing nutrients. What in blazes is going on here, chaps?

DJ

2. have you checked the PH levels?

3. PH comes in at 6.6 -6.7

He's at a loss. Any ideas?

4. Maybe the soil is too compact so the plant cant get enough oxygen...

5. Soil is well draining with adequate perlite. Moisture levels are right in the middle. I suspect nutrient deficiency. Strange, as this is a potting soil mix. Maybe my friend bought "Brand X" potting soil (the cheap stuff). Maybe that's his problem.

6. My best guess after doing the research is that the seedlings are nutrient deficient. Knowing that, can anyone provide me with the best method of bringing them back into line? Does anyone have any "tricks of the trade" to speed things up?

7. I don't have any tricks but I can tell ya to start feeding at 1\4 of the reccomended dose.

How big are your pots?

8. one week old seedlings shouldn't be fed. the tiny roots/root hairs that they have will burn up. purpling can be caused by a number of things. if they are kept at the correct temps. day and night and the water is properly ph'd they "should" be fine. if they are in a pre-refted medium that could also be a problem. pics would help.

9. I start mine at 1/4 the rec. dose, but when they are a week old. This is another old wives´ tale that seedlings should not be given ferts.

10. ^^^ i'm one of those old wives, LOL ^^^

11. why take a chance? less is more in some cases. Mine did fine in just soil and its not even a week and they are on their 3rd set of leaves. I try and resist the urge of mother them too much.