Seedlings dying..

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Fliiix, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hello, I planted 9 quality seeds 13th march, at first everything went fine except my veg lamp to my setup broke so my seedling did not have enough light for a couple of days and one of 3 Bulldog Dream - Blue Dream died, however now when they are under a lamp it looks like more are dying and i'm not sure what's the issue is.. The seeds are planted in R00!T's sponges, I alos used their nutrient First Feed, I moved the sponges into some peat pots with some BioBizz Light Mix soil and gave them some water with the R00T!T's first feed. The humidity have been around 30-50 and i've been spraying them with water a couple of times a day to maintain the humidity because the air here is very dry. The temperatur is between 18-26C.

Here is some pictures

I'm using a SOL-DIGITAL SUPER MH 600W lamp with a air circulation system, and a simple fan inside growing tent to keep the air going. And currently i'm using the plastic cover to keep the humidity over 40%. The lamp will be ON 24/7 otherwise the temperatur will go below 18-20C

Any help saving my seedling is appreciated!

2. Well. That’s too much light first off. Get a couple light bulbs cfl 6500k and hang them 6” over the seedlings. 1 for each pair of seedlings. You’re just gonna fry them with 600 watts.
    No nutrients of any kind for the first week. They don’t need any. The seed has what it needs.
    And get the humidity up to 70% in the dome. At least for a couple days. Then slowly lower it to harden them off. You also need a lot more perlite in your soil. Better aeration and faster drying out times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Start in a half filled cup so when they stretch ( they always do a bit) you can just top up the cup with more soil rather then the stick and string.
    T5HO or CFL lamps can be almost touching to prevent the initial stretch. 1 inch.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thank you very much for your quick response!
    Would it not be possible to just hang the 600w lamp all the way up in the tent instead of getting new lamps or is it still too strong for them?

Currently I only have hydrograins but i usually only use them when i'm about to move the plant to a bigger pot, I have never used Perlite before but i will get some tomorrow. The Perlite i have in my soil is from the soil mix i use, BioBizz light mix.

5. This is my seedling light. 0B4F307D-3C0E-4D3F-8BA4-BE397A61069F.jpeg
    It’s 25 watts of pure power. I use this light for 2 weeks. Sure you can use your 600 to light them but in a few days you’ll save the cost of using a couple of cfls or buying a 20 dollar shoplight. And realistically I’d put the light a good 5 feet maybe 6 from them. They just don’t want that much light.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. #6 Fliiix, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    What kind of light do you have more then 25 watt? I'm trying to find something simliar that you use but i do live in a small town that has nothing available.

Edit: I found a store here that is open but unfortunately they do not have any light bulbs, but they have Fluorescent T5 28W 4000K and LED-Lamp T8 18W 1800 Lumen, which one is best and do i need 1 or 2 for 7-8 seedlings?

7. I think both would be fine. And as long as the cups fit under the light it is big enough.

8. How far up? And what kind of hood are you using and is it not dimmable? If you can crank it 6 feet up, and all the way to one side will work. Would look into a cheap t5 system like said above just for seedlings and clone starting. Also like said above you would get your money back just in energy savings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks for the response guys! I got myself a cheap T5 system. 2x14watt 4000k Fluorescent.

A temporary fix until tomorrow. I will let the lamp be running for another 3 hours and then let them be in dark for 8 hours. Tomorrow I will try getting them closer to the light. How far should i have the lights when the cover is on? It's pretty hard to keep the humidity at 70% without the cover here which sucks.

[​IMG]

10. That looks good. Good distance. Watch your temperature. Keep the temps around 78-82°f I think that’s about 25-27°c. Adjust the lights distance to get a good temperature. The amount of light the plants get at this point isn’t that important. Building roots is what’s important. The humidity being higher will help the plant not need to transpire as much as well. It’s all about the roots for now.
    You should be out of the dome within 5 days. Open the vent more each day till it’s wide open. Once it’s fully open you can ditch the dome and move the light right up to the seedlings. Within an inch or two. Once they hit node 5 feel free to go back to the big light. But dim it way down if you can. I run a 315 watt cmh for veg. I dim it to 195watts and it’s 30 inches above my plants. And it makes very nice plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Looks good, I would loose the dome. You are doing more harm than good leaving them in 100% humidity rain storm conditions like that. Plants like to transpire water from their leaves and let out stress this way. You are making it so they can not do this at all. I think your meter is lying less you have a vent on top I can not see :) but long as your at least 40% on the outside they will be good.

Like said above work on getting the roots going. Your distance looks good, leave them be, they will grow into the lights wouldn’t touch it. Best thing is to leave them alone and plan your next weeks out for them and follow it.

12. #12 Fliiix, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Here is an update, also the dome have a vent on top which i have full open to let the seedlings get some air, currently i use a humidifier to keep the humidity at 60-70% but i do have it pretty hard to get the temp at 24-27C with the dome half on because the dome blocks the little heat the T5 lamps give them, it's at 20-23C, i also use a
    heating mat so the bottom is at 25-30C and that's good i guess? The roots like it warmer if i'm not wrong.

However this is how my setup looks like now, i will use this for a bit until it's a bit warmer outside and i can start use the growing tent with my 600w lamp without frying them :biggrin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Can anyone verify if these seedlings are dead or not? They look dead but the the bottom of the plant looks good on them, but i guess they can't make any new leafs without the first leaf?

Currently I still have them under the light but if they are dead then it's just pointless having them there.

13. I’d give it a few more days. You never know but it doesn’t look that great. I’ve seen things come back from worse. And I’ve seen things die from less. Just gonna have to wait and see.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. The setup looks good though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alright i'll give them a few more days and hope they get better.
    Thank you very much for the help! =)

16. One last question, how long should i have the T5 lamps on for my seedlings? and how long do they need dark? Thanks.

17. Hey Fliiix, I had the same thing happen with my seedlings and my problem was the soil was too wet. Once I let the soil dry a bit they took off. Try letting the soil dry until they lift up easily, you will be able to tell the difference with practice and then water. It worked for me. This is my first grow and I learned a valuable lesson about being patient and letting the girls do what they do without too much interference. At the beginning. Just my opinion. Hope they come back strong!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I run my seedlings at 24/0 for 2 weeks. Then 18/6 till flower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Right on man. You got it! Is your soil kinda damp?