Seedling Stem Red/pink

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Taticus, Jun 24, 2014.

1. #1 Taticus, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    Hey all, this is my first grow and i've noticed my seedling has a strange colored stem. I have done a bit of research and from what i've seen it could be a phosphorus deficiency or the genetics of the plant.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

What type of medium; soil 
    What brand and type of soil? richgro potting mix
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors for another week or so
    What strain? G13 Haze
    How old are the plants? about a week
    What type of lights and how many watts? Sun light
    How far from the lights? n/a
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? filtered tap water, enough to keep the soil moist but no wet.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Have not given the plant any nutrients yet.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Not sure.
    What size pots? 16oz Cup
    Any bugs? Look real close. no
    Any other pertinent info?

[​IMG]

2. #2 noizviolation, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    If you just have that baby collecting sun from your window you will be causing it stress as it stretches like crazy to get to the sun, my advice, either an electric light like a cfl 23w actual ( 100w equiv ) 2 to 3 inches over her head, or put her outside on the otherside of the glass. Also looks like just soil, no perlite or anything for drainage and aeration?

3. I just did a quick google man,

Why does marijuana plant have red stems?

It doesn't mean that there's necessarily anything wrong with it. Some people I talk to on (See related link) say that some of their best cannabis plants grew out starting with a red stem from vegetative throughout the flowering stage. :)

Sent from my C6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. From seedling all of my plants have had red stems at 1st. I think it may have something to do with the stress of birth. Further on down the road a lot of people cause their stems and branches to go purplish or red by doing lst super cropping, topping and or fiming. There are ofcourse strains that have colour to them, but in my experience these can be indicators of plant stress, whether it be lack of drainage, feeding/watering, poopy air circulation and plant training.

I keep her outside in the sun for about 8 hours or so, then keep her on the windowsill overnight. Going to be planting her outdoors once she's a little bit bigger. And glad to know a red stem doesn't necessarily mean they are unhealthy :D

Only thing that doesnt make sense with that is i have 2 seedlings both with the exact same potting mix and water them with the same water, yet only 1 has the pink stem. strange :p