Seed starter?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by DieselDude420, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hey GC I am now germinating a seed and going to try hydoponics. For now I am going to expiriment in a folgers coffee container. I have a soil grow currently which i will veg for another month and plan on doing all hydro next so want to expirement before hand a little. I will just put the folgers can in with the rest under the 400mh. But my question is how do I start off the seed after it is germinated for I am used to just throwin it in some dirt and letting go. From what I understand I will go get some rockwool and hydroton from my local hydro shop and I need to put the seed in the rockwool and let it sit in about an inch or less of water untill sprouted? Then just place the rockwool in a netpot with some hydroton around and it should be ready from their correct me if I am wrong or am missing anything please. After its in my mini bb I want the water levle below the netpot from what i undertand by a little bit. Then just keep refilling water when low and start nutes about 2 weeks at 1/4 strength.

THANKS

2. I also forgot what would be the optimal size rockwool 1'... 3'? Say if I were to use 5 inch net pot.

3. Anyone please I have been doing alot of reaserch lately and couldnt find a thread on starting seeds for hydro. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

4. Hey man im new to but from whaT iv'e read 1 and a half inch rockwool.

5. You can't successfully grow in hydro in a coffee can. If you want to grow hydro you need to learn more about this method, you are destined to failure. You should learn to grow in soil first then move to hydro when you have the basics down.

6. I have done multiple soil grows and have had success and failure in them as many have. But I dont understand why I wouldnt be able to grow a small plant hydroponically in a coffee can. its not like id be looking for a big yield like I said it would be to expiriment and get used to the nutrient and ph patterns. If I have an air pump running and my net pot in the can what would not work with this method?

7. You need at least a 5 gal container to keep the reservoir contents at acceptable levels. Small volumes of solution will change pH and PPM drastically each day.

8. Alright points thanks idk what im going to do than I was just going to veg it for a few weeks to see what happens but if its going to be a pain a might just wait till next grow cause i dont think there is enough room for a 5 gallon

9. I'd go for it man it'll give you some experiance i mean why not if you got a pump container and afew ods and ends.

10. I'd try it maybe with a bag seed first but it be an awesome experiment. Leave the may sayers and give it a shot! I've just started flowering my first grow ever (hydro bubble bucket) and would love to know if it works, @least maybe to veg. Keep us posted!