Seed help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TSoaDK, Dec 14, 2008.

1. I need some help on seeds..

I have read about feminized seeds, and I would definitely like to know ahead of time that if I have 6 plants I will be getting 6 females. What are the draw backs of these seeds?? I heard that some people do not like them.

Also, I am looking for a strain of seeds that will yield me a lot of bud but not too difficult to grow. THC % is also very important.

What are your guys' suggestions on which type of strain I should look at growing?

2. #2 TSoaDK, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
    Okay i decided I dont want the auto flowering strains as I want to go for maximum yield

3. female seeds are better becose of the greater chance of geting female plants for sure : )

however the greater chance is also for geting a hemaphrodite..

Also female seeds are more expansive, the best way is to make ur mother plants from regular seed and take clones from her. and if you grow from regular seeds and dont stress them too much you can easly have much more females then males also genetics are important..

its all up to you, if you are a begginer i can recomand you good strain from where i order my seeds

4. sure...i want advice from people who have grown before not just what the site says...

something that has a high yield that doesnt sacrifice on THC % is what I am looking for.

I may be a beginner but i've got a green thumb and I am going to have the right equipment and with all the advice here I dont think I will have any problems growing a tougher strain.

High yield with high THC % is that I am looking for. Im not picky on taste and smell and anything with a high THC % is going to taste good to me lol

5. There are amny strains that have high yields and are potent. As for feminized seeds, there are amny pros and cons. I have grown out many female seeds, some hermie, some grow perfectly normal. It has alot to do with how they were produced; personally I do not like chemically induced feminising b/c they seem to be the most unstable when it comes to hermies.

Actually most strains are not that difficult, it is all about dialing them in to a feeding schedule and knowing what the plants not only need, but like. Northern Lights IMHO is a good starter strain b/c it produces a nice yield, is moderately potent, and somewhat forgiving when it comes to dialing it in. AK47 and Big Bud are probably 2 of the easiest strains I have ever grown. California Orange is a moderately potent strain and gives good yields, as does most Skunk strains.

So here are a few suggestions:

Northern Lights #5
    Skunk Special
    Lemon Skunk
    AK47
    White Widow
    or any of the Haze strains

These are all moderate to high potency, easy to aquire, and excellent strains to gain some experience.

less

6. Just about any seed from any reputable seed vendor will give you a great stone, and be quite potent. For some info on THC% and such, checkout this video.

It's more dependant on what kind of stone you like. Do you prefer the more cereberal, energetic highs? Or do are you more a fan of the body stone and couch locks? If the former, go for a more sativa dominant strain; for the latter, go with a more indica dominant strain. Sativa's will have a longer flowering time, and could be a bit less forgiving to a beginner grower than indica's. For more details on strains, checkout this site.

7. The percentage of hermies is only like 20% with most femenized seeds. Which is better than the 50/50 shot you get of having a male with non-femenized seeds. I like the better odds. And, if it is an extremely stable strain the percentage is probably even less than 20%.

I have grown with fem seeds lots of times. And, I can tell you that I have never grown a hermie. Not once.

Good luck.

8. #8 TSoaDK, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
    I am definitely going to go with a 10 pack of feminized seeds....

Can anyone lead me to a site with the best prices for feminized seeds that has good detailed information on the strains??

thanks for all the help guys i love this site

9. Check the seedbanks section here on GC.. plenty of info there.

10. I would not look for value feminized seeds. You get what you pay for and there are many low quality feminized seeds out there. I would invest some time in research and email the breeder for info.

As for 50/50 on regular seeds, that is norm ratio, however most breeders/seed producers selectively pollinate to make the ratio a little more favorable. I ran some Flying Dutchman seeds which I have yet to get a male after running 8 Skunk #1(The pure) and 10 Cali Orange. I know I get on GHS a little, but even the seeds I have aquired from them have a better than 50% ratio female to male.

As for using feminized seeds, I personally do not b/c I enjoy the whole process of growing and work w/ creating crosses and finding specific phenos to carry on into my personal collection. Buying seeds can get expensive, however if you buy the strains you like, begin to produce your own seeds, and study a little about breeding, you can produce your own seeds and do your own crosses. Not everyone has the time or patience for such efforts, but I make time for growing is more than just medical/personal smoke to me, it is also my therapuetic hobby.

less