second grow :)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chargersdt66, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Hi yall im on my second grow with 1 white widow autoflower and 1 royal queen northern lights. I just seen both preflowers yesterday and my lovely girls are looking good and healthy! :)

Well my first grow was under 3 23 watt cfl for veg and 5 23 watt cfl for flower. between two plants I got 12g of ok smoke. it was reallllllyyy flakey and "stringy". I feel alot of it was my lighting because these plants looked great and were 50% amber looked great until came off and dried. so this grow im changing it up

I have been using 2 100watt cfl and 1 60watt blue cfl. they are 25 days old and with the preflowers I am getting ready to switch to my flower box. my question is this, I ordered a 400watt hps bulb 2000k that will be here tomorrow. will this one bulb be enough for 2 plants in a 3'X2.5'X1.5'

Also, is this a good bulb for flowring to help produce thick dense fat nugs?
    Should I add cfls?
    I will be using tiger loom blossom builder. Should I add anything else?

Thanks for the help yall jut looking to get some fat dense buds. so any advice you have would be much appreciated!

2. Your first grow was a bit weak with the lighting, and that certainly explains your yield.  Now you're using a couple of hundred watts of CFLs, you should see them growing much better.

Your 400w HPS bulb will do just fine for these two plants, you wont need to add any CFLs to it.  Save them for starting out some new plants in a couple of weeks.

If the NL isn't an auto, you'll get a better yield if you do a little training with it.  You can 'top' it, pinch out the growing tip, and that will make the next two growing tips become main colas.  You can actually do this more than once.  It also has the benefit of reducing the final height, so if space is a problem that's a good move  If you do this, let it grow out for another week or two before you move it to flower.

You could also do some LST (low-stress training) which involves tying some string to the stems and gently weighing them down.  This bring the growing tip lower than some of the other growing bits, and the plant swaps over its focus to grow the others.  Again this can result in more than one main cola, and can mean that more of the flowering sites are exposed to the light that's coming from above.

By doing this, and keeping it in veg another week or two, you'll end up with a bigger yield off this plant.  Don't mess with the auto though, just let that do whatever it's going to do, the HPS will take care of that.

Go easy with the tiger bloom.  A lot of newbies seem to have problems with it, maybe because it's quite acidic.  Mix it up quarter or half strength and see how you go.  Force-feeding it wont make it "fat" it will make it "sick".

Good luck!

3. #3 TheAnswer121, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
    I use a 400w and while heat is manageable for me, I keep my closet open while lights are on all day, it does pose some possible problems. hoping you have a way to vent that hot air.

oh, and ,yes, it will be perfect for 2 plants. you will see a dramatic increase in growth rate as well as total yield.

4. What was your light cycle?

5. my light schedule has been 19/5 since planted. I did a ton of lst with my lasr grow and ended up with 9 main colas from each plant. I did a little with the northern lights but I only did it for two days and decided I wanted to let it do its own thing.  they are both autos. and im hoping the heat wont be too much that's what scares me. I have 2 intake and  exauast fans in the box and I am going to add a small 16in fan in there that I can mount just to keep temps low and nice. Im hoping these give me some dense nugs cuz that stringy flakey stuff suckssss!! hahaha thanks for all the useful tips and advice yall!