Second grow, understairs closet, LOS, mainline?

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonInColorado, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Update - Friday - 4/20/18 :vaping::passing-joint::smoke:, oldest plant is 39 Days old.

Hello everyone.
    Thanks for all the advice m.o.r. I'm looking into humidifiers for the next grow, but i wanna see what I can get done without humidifying first, I'm also not really planning on teas or top-dressing, I wanna get a baseline for just water and this soil.... but maybe some neem seed meal and ewc.... still unsure how useful a baseline is with just h20, I know roots 707 and the 3-part dr earth grow good weed with just ro water, although I ruined any chance of yield that time around, I'm still interested to know what this soil will do without any interference of environment beyond fans and of additions beyond ro water. I don't think many people ever really do that, I think the urge to add stuff is too great, but I'm gonna try my best to not add anything and just let it happen. I do think I goofed when I first topped and forgot to move the light down, it was too far away which is likely why the northern lights' are drooping so bad, at this point I'm just gonna try to keep them in the 21-24" range away, and in flower 18-21" is probably fine. I checked the soil down to the second knuckle and all 4 were quite dry, so I gave 'em all 1/4 ltr and adjusted their tie-downs, it's getting way easier now that the plants are used to going sideways, they're all turning up fairly well, but I bet that'll improve now that the light is closer, i might update later this evening if they perk up.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror #1
    She keeps pulling out the tie-downs, lol, i keep making 'em longer
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    She's like my cat, she always looks perfect... if not a little small
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    Her second node actually re-vegged 2 new shoots, which I cut off, along with her unhappy bottom leaves.
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    I'm hoping she'll look happy some day
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing I'm gonna have to up their water here soon, I'll probably do it gradually until I'm just watering to runoff whenever they droop... which I'm still figuring out how to tell what kind of droop it is, and jh2 is so short, it's hard to tell, but with the light closer, maybe they'll get easier to read.

Cheers, everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks like your getting some nute burn on the tips of your leaves and how fat/ plump droopy they are. Id say they’re getting enough to drink.
    I’m stoned as fuck an on same grow “second” as you do take my advice lightly till a pro gives ya advice

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I think I could be missing this though and droopy because of not enough water in photos tho they look nice and fat and lush

4. I would agree, the nute burn is the soil, something in it is too much for this strain so I just gotta live with that and hope as the northern lights plants get bigger, they become more able too use everything in the soil. As the jock horrors seem to love the soil, I have high hopes that this'll happen and the northerns will be fine.

Yeah, I think that's because the light was too far away, I fixed that and they're all gonna grow great now :love-m3j:

5. They're looking considerably happier this morning.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Midweek Update! (may as well give it a name since i always do one :p )

Just got enough nodes on all 4 plants to do the final topping today, not sure how long to leave the tie-downs in place... i imagine at some point they just won't serve any purpose any more. I also went ahead and cut off all the older fan leaves attached directly to the main trunk, as they were hanging down, often touching the soil, they all had 4, so I took 'em all off, now I just gotta keep the light at the right distance and give 'em 1/2 liter of water every other day (seems about perfect right now, I'll eventually just go to runoff), 1/4 ltr wasn't going very long and I found a watering schedule that said 500ml every other day is generally good for a small vegging plant under a powerful grow light, so I'm trying that out, but checking the soil, and sure enough every other morning the soil's dry to knuckle #2 and the leaves are slightly drooping, so for now I'm set.

[​IMG]

I'm imagining that since the jock horror is a sativa strain, it'll grow taller faster than the northern lights, which is a 100% indica. I'm thinking about trying the tomato cage things that NugBuckets uses to continually train down the jocks so that the northerns can catch up. In future grows, and especially once I have multiple tents, I'll probably stick to growing sativa with sativa and indica with indica, but I like to have both around, which is why I'm growing them together while I only have one space to grow in. My immediate goal is to have a small tent, another light and everything else I need by the time this grow is done, then for my next grow I might start my entire pile of bag seeds and basically do a sea of green in both the tent and the grow room, just keep transplanting until they show sex and cull the males and transplant up as much as I can, not really train anything too much, if I end up with 12 plants in 1 gallon pots, they would only need to produce 1 oz each to go beyond what my light is capable of... or maybe just start 10 in the hopes of getting 5 females, mainline all the plants that grow and toss the males when they show sex, maybe end up with 3-5 female plants in 2-gallon pots... honestly though, I think I'll wait until I have 2 3x3 tents, the closet, and the smaller tent that I plan to get immediately to do bag seeds, I'll probably dedicate the 3x3 tents to doing bag seeds until they're all gone, then figure out a perpetual grow schedule so that I'll be harvesting every month and do limited cloning... Sorry, smoked a bunch and I'm rambling.....
    so long :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Update - Friday - 4/27/18, oldest plant is 46 Days old.

Great week in the closet, the training is all but done, it's just a matter of letting them grow, and trying to keep them all at the same height, which is proving somewhat difficult, as the #1's are 3-4" taller than the #2's, good thing I got bricks. I've decided not to do any teas or top-dressing this grow, I'd like to have a pure water-only grow with this soil as a frame of reference (I like to be quasi-scientific).

[​IMG]

Jock Horror #1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    [​IMG]

Actually got some northern lights from a dispensary, i like it, has a nice basket of berries smell and flavor, it'll be nice to see how my homegrown organic weed stacks up against chemical-grown corporate dispensary stuff, and see what that smell is like when grown organically. I can actually smell the jock horrors already, when I defoliated, jh1's fan leaves smelled really good. I thought about the bag seeds, and I think I'll just wait until I have and abundance of space (those 2 3x3 tents I'll get someday), and if they don't keep that long, well I'm only out bag seeds which may have hermied anyway. As long as I have professionally bred seeds, I'm gonna try to plant those first, and always have those going, and bag seeds can be on the side in tents, or maybe outside if I can afford to erect some sort of fencing situation. Have a good weekend everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Looking fantastic my friend!!!!!
    - note
    If you bring main two stems down on the taller plants you’ll get more even plants maybe I don’t know.
    You ain’t going to bring them out any more than you already have?

9. Nah, 8 colas is plenty, If I were growing in larger pots under bigger lights going for bigger yields with fewer plants I'd go for 12 or 16 colas, or 1 plant in this space might work well with a 16-cola plant, but the great thing about mainlining is a small number of big buds to trim, also, I'm going for a max of 3 oz per plant, and 8 colas is definitely enough for that, and I imagine you could go much farther with 8 colas from 1 plant. In the future when I have more experimental grow spaces, I'm gonna try a 16 and maybe even a 32 cola plant, I might even try a little forest of 4-cola bag seed plants, just do the initial topping, then top again after the 2 new tops get their 2nd nodes, and grow just those 4 colas, might work well for a small forest. Honestly if I get a solid 2 oz out of each of these, I'll be overjoyed, and all I gotta do is water and try to keep them even until the shortest hits 16" then flip

The Jocks smell wonderful today, their leaves are already sticky, I read in the reviews of this strain that it's ridiculously frosty, but this can't be resin already can it? anyone know what makes vegging cannabis plants smell so good?. Had to tie down jh1, she's trying to touch the stairs, but her buddies aren't as fast as she is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a little help for the little 2's
    [​IMG]

Cheers! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Fair enough.
    Looking awesome my friend really looking forward to seeing this excel!

11. Are you flowering with same light? I’d flower little sooner than 16” under that light with 4 plants.
    That’s just me tho!!!! :)

They stretch a lot in flower

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hey JC! They are looking awesome! Told ya you'd get the watering down ....great job!

If you had 1 or 2 plants in there, i'd say go for it though with 4, just a word of caution.....

Be careful letting them get that tall before flipping especially if they are branchy like BF Blue Cheese. 1st two pics are light flip day at 13" tall on March 19th and 3rd pic is just yesterday ~5wks later......
    March 19th (7) copy.jpg March 20th (4).jpg April 27th (9) copy.jpg
    She totally took over the 2.5x3x4 space growing just as far out as she did up.....don't underestimate the new growth in the middle ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sure Am :)

Thanks for the advice, I figured room to double would be adequate, I've got 50" between the top of the pots and the bottom of the light when it's at maximum height. The plant should never be closer than 18" from the light, leaving me 32" to work with, should I go with like 12"? that'd let it almost triple in size

Cheers :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The height is fine, its more that if they develop a lot of branches in their stretch period, they may crowd each other out horizontally.....most indica's do stay well put though every once in awhile you may run into one that just wants to spread as it grows up ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. I agree!

• Like Like x 1
  16. o i c, so it's less of a height thing, more of a girth thing, gotcha... ok, I think I'll flip at 12-13", see how that goes, thanks, guys :love-m3j:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. For sure bro!
    I would go into flower with that setup and lamps to be honest

18. did you mean to say you would not?

19. Sorry I meant - right away

20. #60 JonInColorado, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    well now i'm really confused...

EDIT:
    oooooohhhh, you would go into flower right away? Well, I would be relying on them being able to triple in height, I'm sure jh1 would do that no problem, but I doubt the other 3 would... but once all 4 plants are at 13" from the top of the pots while sitting on the floor (not on a brick) I'll flip, shouldn't be more than a week or so, I wouldn't think... I'm posting my Friday update in a bit anyway, and we can brainstorm over the weekend. :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1