Second grow, understairs closet, LOS, mainline?

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonInColorado, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Hello everyone :)

I'll start this off with the grow room, which i put through some changes, mostly boxing it all in, sealing and painting, I also insulated the stairs in the hopes of not needing to use air conditioning ever... we'll see what the summer has in store. Here's the before shots, lots of holes, lots of light leakage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A bunch of work later it's all sealed up, has a passive intake and active exhaust, used that light killing ducting stuff from the grow shop and metal tape for like everything, if anyone has any questions on how I did anything, feel free to ask, I'll explain as best as I can :) now for the after shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A couple shots behind that back wall I built, just a hose used for passive intake, some sticks to keep it in it's shape, and some insulation cuz I was too lazy to carry it out and throw it away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this is at least slightly coherent, I'll document the grow to the stage that it's at now in the next post.

Jon:love-m3j:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. #2 JonInColorado, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Hello :)

This grow I've decided on 4 plants in my 3x3 space in 2-gallon buckets with ITG's "Easy Organic Soil For Beginners" soil mix, water only, RO, maybe a few teas and top-dressings. The planting method I'm using this time around is just chuck it in the soil, however it lands, in a 1/4-inch deep hole in small containers of the final soil (which has been cooking for months) then I water.

The strains are Jock Horror by Nirvana Seeds (2) and Northern Lights by Ministry of Cannabis (2) for whoever's interested I bought these through seedsman, got a bunch of free seeds too, almost enough for 2 more grows, lol. The first shipment was an envelope with both ends cut off, luckily seedsman sent the whole order again :)

3 of the 4 seeds have sprouted thus far, the third keeps popping the seed out the top of the soil, but the seed never opens, i keep re-covering it with dirt, but it just keeps popping back up with the seed still attached... not really sure what to do, tried gently manipulating it, but couldn't get any kind of an angle to try to encourage it to open, hopefully it'll happen soon, if I have to start another 4th seed I don't want it to be too far behind the other 3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll try to update every Friday with pictures, and I'll answer any questions that come up in the meantime.

*EDIT - Forgot to mention I've been studying up on the mainline method of training, I think I'll give it a shot

Jon :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey I’ve followed past grows of yours. Great job on your space it looks like you’ve put a lot of thought and trouble shooting into it, I wish I had an entire closet to dedicate to my plants.
    I was wondering about your light the “Black Diamond”. I’m looking to purchase that same model. I’ve done a lot of research on it but haven’t seen a lot of people with the light express their opinions on its performance. How long have you had it? What’s your opinion on it? Would you suggest it to others?

4. Looks great! That one with the helmet, needs more humidity to soften the shell more....... cut a water bottle in half, mist the inside and cap her - in a day or 2 if its still not off, you may have to help it along carefully removing it with tweezers ;)

Which mainlining tutorial will you be following? I am doing Nebula's at the moment with my Cookies Kush and Blue Cheese....1 each in a 2x3x4 cabinet - almost ready to flower now at day 36 since germination :p They filled the space pretty quick in their 7gal fabric pots

5. Hey CBDBurner :)
    It's hard to give advice about this light, I've only done 1 grow, and you saw how many mistakes I made, also I have nothing to compare it to, except itself and only for 1 grow. At the end of this one I'll have a much better idea how well it does, but honestly, I've been looking at cheaper lights for when I get a couple tents going, do some direct comparisons. Every light should have a realistic rating of roughly the maximum amount of cannabis you can grow with it, this one is roughly 11 ounces if grown well. I'd do research on any light before I bought it and figure out this number (from growers, not the manufacturer), I know what you mean though, I can't find any references to this light either, so I may be the first person to ever review it, I vaguely trust the guy who owns this light company because i've watched a lot of his youtube videos and seen him grow many many plants from beginning to end with both his led lights and old school bulbs, you can tell that he knows a thing or 2 about grow lights and growing in general, that's why I took the gamble, but I just don't know enough or have enough experience with lighting to give any really useful data. But in 4 months or so I'll let you know how well it did this time :love-m3j:

6. Ok cool thanks man I’ll b watching this one. How did the last grow smoke? We’re the buds dense?

7. That's a great idea :) I literally ran to the recycle bin and made a little plastic habitat before coming back and reading the second paragraph lol, thanks so much!. I'm doing the NugBuckets one from growweedeasy.com. haven't looked into Nebula's method yet, perhaps i'll go down that rabbit hole now :p Glad to hear it's working well for you, I would imagine they're similar (?) anywho, glad to know someone else is doing it too :p cheers :love-m3j:

8. The big plant at the end was pretty meh, smoked ok, very low potency (probably like 8%), the 2 little autoflowers made very good weed, just not very much of it. None of the buds were dense on those plants, lol, but I stunted and stressed those plants so bad it's a wonder they grew anything, I had the light too close for their entire life. High performance LEDs like this shouldn't ever be closer than 18" and that's probably the farthest I had it away at any given time. So you do need more height with high performance LEDs than you do with most other forms of lighting.

9. Yeah I’ve stunted plants from having lights to close added like 3 weeks to my veg time.

10. ROFL! Makes total sense right? I have done this with other seedlings.... mainly cucumbers. Then a couple weeks ago had this same issue with my 3bears auto though by the time I saw it, the "helmet" had cut the cotyledons off or it may have been a deformity issue like what I am detailing with this next seedling.

Yup, same site.....the only differences from what I can tell is, Nugbuckets clips more off and does a 2nd topping that I lost track of in my own grow when I tried to follow it whereas Nebula's can be pretty much done all at once salvaging whats there ....both are pretty straight forward and can be used depending on one's time frame. I was just curious which one as I follow along ;)

11. Small Update on helmet head, The water bottle enclosure helped, I think I should use a humidity dome for sprouting in the future, with humidity being 20-35% in the grow room. I ended up manually helping the seed off, there was a "thing" holding the ends of the starter leaves together, but I managed to get it off of there and it's growing just fine now :) it's the small one in the pictures (obviously).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for the advice MomOnTheRun :) Cheers :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Glad you were able to rescue the seedling..... a bit smaller though it'll catch up in no time! Congrats!!

If you have the funds, a cool mist humidifier and humidifier control plug in will help raise that low humidity kicking on and off when its needed ;)

13. I had a humidifier for a while, and it took 2 gallons a day to maintain the humidity at 80% (not that I actually need it that high), just wasn't worth all the trips to the grocery store for more ro or distilled water, so i tried tap water, then my humidifier died. I'm gonna try an entire grow at natural humidity and see what I get for results.

Thanks, Homie :passing-joint:

I don't know if it'll affect anything, but I moved my light from 4.5' to about 3.5', we'll see what (if anything) happens.

Cheers :love-m3j:

14. Update - Friday - 3/23/18, oldest plant is 11 Days old.

Been a good week in the grow room, got all the sprouts out and growing, most are starting their 3rd set of leaves :) the late bloomer is catching up nicely, they all seem to love the light placement being very far away (more than 3 feet) and as far as I can tell, they're not over-stretching or growing too tall, so i'm not going to change that much until they're bigger and need to be transplanted, then (after they recover from transplant) I'll move the light down to probably 3 feet and work my way down from there over time. I'm switching from 16/8 to 18/6 today, read in true living organics that a gentler starting light cycle is beneficial... I couldn't tell you whether it's any different at all, but my girls seem happy, so I'll probably do it that way in the future, along with planting directly in the final soil, without pre-soaking or pre-germinating, 100% germination is hard to argue against.

What I did for watering up until now was spritz the soil a couple times a day to keep it moist around the base of the sprouts. I've watered to runoff twice when the pots felt light (it's still tough to tell), once they're bigger I'll start letting them tell me when they need to be watered, I'm imagining I'll let them get to 4 or 5 nodes before I transplant, then let them recover and grow the 6th node and do the initial topping with them in their final pots, instead of these little starter pots, should make training easier. I've done some measuring and calculating, and in order to allow my plants room to double in height but not get closer than 18" from the light, I'll have to flip to 12/12 when they're 16" tall from the top of a 2-gallon pot, allowing for a maximum plant height of 32". I can't remember if I've talked about this yet or not, but this light is supposed to be capable of about 11 ounces, or an unreasonably precise goal of 2 3/4 ounces per plant, my goal is to get as close to 10 ounces total as i can while growing the best possible cannabis. I think this'll give me a a learned enough amount of experience to tell people what this light is capable of (in the hands of an amateur anyway).

Sorry if these updates are too rambly, I tend to brain dump whenever I'm learning a new thing, mostly so I (and anyone else) can read my ideas, and try to determine whether they're viable or not. Anywho, onto the pics. I'll try to post in the order they sprouted throughout the grow for easy continuity.

Jock Horror #1
    the first to sprout (only 3 days) and the farthest along
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    came up way over by the name tag thing for some reason, dangers of haphazard seed orientation?
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    came up 2 days after JH1, but is already as big, 100% indica strain
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    our troublesome starter, finally out of the seed and ready to catch up to her friends.
    [​IMG]

Have a good weekend everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Update - Friday - 3/30/18, oldest plant is 18 Days old.

A week of steady growth, the girls seem to be doing well, lots of new leaf growth, and they're all super close together, like not all tall and spindly, which I believe is a good thing. looking forward to transplanting in the near future. On to the girls.

Jock Horror #1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    Had to move the little name tag thing, it was in the way
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    Her leaves are a bit weird, I've seen this before on the forums and saw it explained that this soil is very heavy due to the amount of rock dust in it and one of the side effects is weird leaves when the plant is young, so I'm not going to worry about it, as she looks plenty happy and is growing well.
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    Catching up to her friends nicely, has the same misshapen leaves as nl1.
    [​IMG]

The leaf thing only seems to affect the indicas, the jocks don't seem to exhibit this at all, maybe sativas like a heavy soil? In the future I might get this strain again and try a different mix of this soil with like half the rock dust and see if they like it more. I also plan to try a full cup of neem seed meal in the next batch.

Happy Weekend Everyone, Cheers :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Looking good man. I’ve had the twisting leaves as well ended up being a ph issue. For some reason always happened to my indica plants. They preferred ph at 6.0.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Looking good my buddy!
    As CBDBurner stated the curling always was ph for me as well.
    I had one this grow as well she ended up being my nicest plant though and started producing multiple colas out of the blue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks, guys, it's probably just a young plant thing that won't be an issue for long, I wasn't worried either way. I have decided to do Nebula's mainlining method in the interest of time, less stress, less recovery. I'm on the fence about those tomato plant hoop things that NugBuckets uses, I may just hope for strong plants and use yoyo's if they start falling over.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nice man hope it pays off for ya I’ll be following along.

• Like Like x 2