Sea of Hermies!!??**

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Virtual, Dec 6, 2009.

1. This is my first grow (closet). I planted about 10 seeds thinking I would mess up the plants somewhere along the line and end up with 1 or 2 in the end. Well, I've realized marijuana is rather easy to grow (hard to grow efficient). So, as of yesterday I had 9 plants flowering under 250watt hps with 120ish watts of cfl. (I think this qualifies it as sea of green)

Last night I was admiring the best looking plant of the bunch. Then I noticed that it had a white/yellow thing on one of the bud sites. I reached over to feel it and it sort of crumbled. I thought "wtf" then pulled it out to examine it closer. What I thought was thc on the leaves near that bud site, I think was pollen. I noticed there were balls that looked like male pollen sacs so I chopped that plant down immediately and harvested the bud ( i think ill get 2 or 3 grams when dried).

The seeds I used were various "femizied seeds" I got from a friend of a friend etc. He told me that occasionally he gets a hermie with those seeds.

After I chopped that shman down I took a closer look at all the other girls. The next best 1 or 2 had similiar balls, but some of the sacs had hair coming out? So, I'm not sure whether or not I should get rid of them. Does it make sense that the shmans would be the best of the bunch or am I wrongly identifying hermies? I've looked at pics online, but more insight and descriptions would be nice on what to look for and when.

Any help is much appreciated, as I prefer seedless pot, but its probably too late as it is.

Also, If the first plant I chopped down did release pollen, would I be looking at feminized seeds or what? I read somewhere that female plants that do produce seeds have less potent bud, can somewhere verify this :( ?

This is my first grow and I know I have screwed quite a few things up. Live and learn I guess. But isn't 4 hermies a lot for 9 or 10 plants?

2. you can either chop them down or try to pick the pollen sacks off by hand. it works to some extent but there will probably still be a few seeds. gotta be quick if your going to try that. gotta get em before they burst and get your ladies knocked up:p

3. I *think* what they meant by that is that because there are seeds in the bud, you wind up with less bud to smoke. And the flowers will swell without pollen around because they're trying really hard to get laid. :p

4. I think for your first grow anything smokeable will be satisfying, so grab the balls off the male flowers and leave the females on and if you get seeds and the weed is good you can plant them again. Garbage in garbage out as far as genetics go.

Feminized seeds were probably hermaphrodites at some point and I have read that if you use seeds from hermaphrodites you will probably keep getting 50% hermaphrodites. So, a smart grower would take clones from the plants that are 100% female and then the next crop will be 100% female. Good Luck

5. Try to find some REVERSE to treat your plants with. Inspect your plants closely, clip of any "bananas/ball sacks" and spray your plants with Reverse as directed. It's supposed to stop the plants from growing male flowers.

I have not personally used this, however a friend uses it and swears by it.........try doing a search to further substantiate.

GL................chunk

6. NO DOUBT! when i had my first hermie problems, and (luckily) somebody pointed me to try REVERSE, it was just one of those things that sounded too good to be true. IT WORKS. and works good. Just remember, pick up some Dutch Master "PENETRATOR" along with it.