Scrogg or pointless??

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by JB-, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Hi guys
    5 weeks into veg Super Lemon Haze x4
    1.2x1.2x2m Bud Box
    20L pots
    Coco coir / Perlite
    Currently using a 200w CFL (haven’t been able to use my HPS much due to the heatwaves, had to switch back to CFL a couple of weeks ago) will add a extra 200w in this week

I am a novice and from reading up about training from early stage I have tried my best to LST by bending to get them all the same kind of height and create a even canopy which I suppose is hard with small light amount but worked on one. This one seems to have nitrogen toxicity not sure if clear from pictures but I’d say half of the leaves are clawed down and is very dark green and other half aren’t clawed?? I have stopped feeding that one nutes + Katana roots nute all of them (low dose) And another two are fairly short and not very bushy at all now which you should be able to notice from the pictures

I stupidly trimmed a lot of the big fan leaves off each as they were blocking the lower branches (maybe should have just cut them off to give the upper branches more energy) Iv been prioritising the lower smaller branches under the light so they get the majority and they have grown but I’m now wary that they will not be able to hold up when it comes to being full of fruits

Is scrogging going to be a pointless exercise now? I get the gist of how it works. I can veg for say 7weeks to allow outside temperatures cool down then put them under 400-600hps or 400 + 200 red spectrum cfl

Any ideas what route I will be best going down especially for the smaller two to get them more bushy and tall they seem like they won’t yield much at all

Attached Files:

2. IMO l would just train her no scrog

• Like Like x 1
  3. The pictures are of all the 4
    I have topped them all
    LST / bending branches over since sprout

Anything else I can do to help yield?

4. I just keep bending around try to get the best amount of light to them . Sometimes I lolipop depends on the plants .

5. I just keep bending around try to get the best amount of light to them . Sometimes I lolipop depends on the plants .

6. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any indication that the plants have been lst'd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I was gonna say the same thing and I scrog reason being your light is weak your lst is a hot mess and you really need a strong light for a good scrog cfl won't work for flowering, that's HST not LST but it's the same thing when done right[​IMG]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Like I say I’m a amateur did what I thought was LST’ing by bending them over early on so the lower ones would grow up to the higher branches but didn’t seem to work out

Any of you guys have any ideas on what to do before flower? Or just put my hps in for a couple of weeks then switch to flower with no training just let them grow naturally ? Lollipoping seems a good idea

9. HPS FIRST 2 WEEKS TO LET THEM GET USED TO IT

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. #10 JB-, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    So guys does this look ominous??
    Looked at the top of one of the shorter plants where I topped and shooted off two branches just and noticed what seems to be 2 very very small what seems to be empty pollen sacks ??
    Can anyone verify this by the picture I attached?
    I thought they don’t show sex until after you flower??
    Last thing I need is a male plant

Attached Files:

11. Highlighted picture of the area I mean.. Cannot see any bananas or male pre flowers. But didn’t expect to see this, May see more when I look closer into the other girls

Probably just paranoid :love-m3j:

Attached Files:

12. Looks like the stalk broke off on both sides..crazy

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

13. All jokes aside and sorry to be a complete noob
    Is this nothing to worry about the sacks?

14. you have done a great job at LST / bending branches over since sprout

I am really impressed, from someone that don't know much about growing, I have done over 20 crops growing super lemon haze (only green house seeds) and seen loads of the different phone types

these plants love to be lst and often look in a poor way a week after you turn the lights over to flower, don't know why but it stresses them out (can't do anything about this)

they often grow to about 3ft with a lot of lst, the yeild is very high had cola's the size of my arm, with a vertical/ horizontal flower light setup (600's lights) they like it hot, up to about 35c
    and they drink a lot, one phenotype is full of claws and it just grows this way but its a very good yielding plant

if your growing vertical without a hood you need to move the plants out a little, drop the light to give the plant more usable light and aim a fan up under the light to keep the plants cool, you want the top of the bulb just above the top of the canopy

15. Thanks for that Joe
    I was thinking I’m a complete moron I tried my best with limited knowledge & time
    Up to 35c really?!
    One of mine is clawing down half way over the tree but I can’t work out if it’s nitrogen toxicity or lack of light ?
    Shall I keep prioritising the lower, shorter branches to let them get the light until they grow up the same level ?
    Two of them are virtually all the same level give or take a few cm, just hoping will hold up with nice colas

16. your welcome JB
    That's the great thing about growing sativa dominant haze, they can handle the heat :)
    but a combo of low humidity and high temperature can do the plants damage
    so its better for your flower room to be 35c with a humidity of 60 than a room of 32c and a humidity of 20

if your growing from a pack of seeds there will be different phone types, makes the grow more interesting, one plant that is clawing, may be down to the phenotype or it could be down to the environment, a fan could be causing the plant stress or could be in hotter part of the room so the soil drying out quicker than the other plants , have you tried moving the plant.

often nitrogen toxicity or lack of light with the canopy being level, it will affect all the plants, not just a single plant
    the early stages of nitrogen toxicity would be very dark green leaves, followed by burnt tips and some eagle clawed fan leaves, it would start at the bottom of the plant and work its way up

if your very worried about this plant give it water for week and this will sort any problem out, if the plant become hungry the leaves will become light green and stay soft, toxicity causes the leaf to become dry crisp

if your flowering under cfl the buds will not get very large and your only getting 6" penetration of good light/bud near the light, even a 250w hps would give you better results

17. Ok great. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but half of the one plant is clawed down and very dark green leaves?
    I will give her just water for a week see how she holds up
    Temperature in there currently is around 28c with lights on due to using a cfl
    Humidity is over 60%
    I have tried moving them all round & where it is situated the clip on fan managed to blow on all plants but not violently ?

Is the little what seems to be a pollen sack nothing to worry about? Am I just worrying over nothing?

I will be adding my hps into the room in the next day or two, as we have had our English heatwave now :) then leave them a week or two then switch to flower?

• Like Like x 1
  18. With HPS just be careful about your temps

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

19. do some more research on LST, you have to use 'twine' to tie the braches down,
    if you do not secure the branches down they will stand back up.

you can just barely see the 18 awg yellow wire that i used on this short little bush, this was cut above the 2nd node and the 4 branches bent over....
    WIN_20180716_09_17_23_Pro.jpg

this plant was truly LST'd, no topping just bending.!!
    WIN_20180516_20_42_51_Pro.jpg WIN_20180516_20_47_42_Pro.jpg WIN_20180516_20_47_55_Pro.jpg WIN_20180518_21_00_41_Pro.jpg