SCROG with Magnets. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Bumbaclat, Aug 10, 2012.

1. After reading that the fella seems to think the cord is better because you can cut the cord to release the plant easier, then re cord the screen. I see what he means but if you take in to consideration you have to re make it and that the cord will flop about and not keep the stems exactly where you want them plus I'm guessing you would have to tie the plants to the cord where as with the wires mesh you simply push the shoots down through a hole I prefer the wire mesh. Less over all work

2. #22 lowd, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know how you tie your string but if you make your screen so it can be adjusted or just use the right knot and it wont be flimsy. It will provide plenty of rigidness to hold the plant anyway you'd like.

3. #23 TheWatcher, Sep 4, 2012
    Anyone who thinks wire mesh is better for a scrog than string has never used string :D

The advantages of string over wire mesh is that it gives you much more freedom with what you can do with the scrog. One of the perceived disadvantages of scrogging is that once the net is in place the only way to train and guide is by getting under the net... when you've got a string scrog the lines are movable side to side and you can put your whole arm through to trim, guide, defoliate, prune... but yet they're strong enough to keep the plant at a perfect level easily.

When you've finished, snip one string and the whole lot comes away...
    Screws at 2" spaces, and just string it up again in 5 minutes and it's good to go.

more work? pshh..

There are many other advantages to using string which you just have to make a strung scrog to appreciate really. I've used both fixed screen and a strung one and string is miles better imo. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single advantage of using a fixed screen.

4. Sorry mate but your wrong, there is no way you can get string rigid enough to do the job properly. if your having these problems with wire mesh your just using the wire mesh the wrong way. I have been doing scrog grows for over 12 years so don't tell me I'm doing it wrong. The way I do them string would be useless. We must be doing it a different way that's all. I'll stick to wire mesh thanks. It's a lot more efficient

5. Don't just take some ones word for it try it your self. Just saying something wont work is pretty ignorant. I beg to differ as well this plant doesn't have some kind of super strength and moves shit around its just a plant. There is absolutely nothing that your doing with wire mesh that cannot be done with string. I'm not saying its better just saying there is no difference if done properly. It just comes down to opinion.

6. it's not opinion mate, it's fact. The way I use the mesh CANNOT done with cord. It's simply too floppy. It's not rigid enough it simply would not work. I am not being ignorant at all, that's pretty insulting pal. Being able to foresee something is not ignorant, it's observant. If you were driving along and a cat walked out in front of you, you could foresee that you could kill it so you would swerve right. If someone said you swerving was ignorant and you should of ran the cat over to see if you kill it you would think they were an idiot. Thats taking the point to the extreme obviously but the principle is the same. I need a rigid frame to weave my plant through. how about you put some photos up of your cord frame being used by the plant so I can point out the differences

7. #27 lowd, Sep 4, 2012
    I was not being insulting. I was simply stating you seem to have a lack of knowledge about string/cord/what ever and its ability to perform as a scrog screen. There is nothing your doing with mesh that cannot be done with string, cord, hemp, what ever. There is no special bending or weaving or training your achieving that is not just as easily done with string etc. There are numerous scrogs all over the net and GC in general that use a string able material that are taught as hell. It gives you flexibility to have it rigid like mesh or loose as you want. I was not trying to be difficult, I just think how ever your picturing a string scrog is very far off.

8. What exactly do you do with mesh that CANNOT be done with cord/string?

9. How can you possibly say "there is nothing I'm doing with mesh that I can't do with string" when you don't know what I do with mesh. That statement clearly shows your talking out of your ass. We obviously do it differently. string works with your method, but it wouldn't work with mine. Get over it. You clearly have a lack of knowledge of wire mesh. Try it you will see the difference, or stick to your own methods, I don't care. Using string no matter how taught will allow the mesh to move, simple as that. wire mesh is rigid. For the way I do it if it's not rigid the plants will pull it about. I made that screen 12 years ago and it's been used many times. Not once have I found any negatives with it otherwise I would of modified it accordingly

10. #30 TheWatcher, Sep 4, 2012
    You forgot to add "in my opinion" ;)

Er.. I'm using it now.. and erm.....it's doing the job properly..

And the problems I had with a fixed screen vs a strung one were/are a simple matter of convenience. Get some perspective.

Maybe you think mesh is more efficient because you're working in a tiny space and you can reach in and adjust under the screen without problem. Rest assured, if you had a larger screen you wouldn't be so cock sure about it and without any doubt whatsoever you would see at least some advantages to using string.

With regards "efficiency" as you call it, the measure of efficiency in this case as you're putting it, is the ability to keep the plants in place....

I'm sorry, but if string doesn't keep your plants in place, use it properly, tie it tighter, or just do some basic pinching and it definitely will. String gives you many advantages... and yes, I've used both a fixed screen and a strung one. You seem to be talking like you've made a discovery and nobody's thought of mesh before.

Ultimately you've never even used string and you're talking from a position of experience. That only makes you sound a bit daft, especially since your arguing so ferociously about bleedin mesh vs string :D

Lots of more experienced, better, more respected gardeners than yourself advise against using wire mesh for their own personal reasons. I also think there's much better stuff out there available to use. If it's your opinion that wire mesh is better in your little space, great.

11. good stuff people, definitely getting ideas from this... hoe much would you harvest.from.that plant??

12. Wow, you weren't kidding. Those magnets wouldn't have stood a chance.

Here is a photo from a week ago.

[​IMG]

13. Bumbaclat i been thinking of adding row of t5 between my aero tube like you did (nice setup), but i am not sure , since the light is coming from under. what do you think of their utility.and My scrog grid point of view: rigid, rigid, rigid.

14. I actually stopped running mine because they felt hot to the touch. I had stems resting on them and I was concerned. I've posted about the heat/contact issue before but never got a straight answer.