Scrog Vs. Lst?????

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by high times, Nov 10, 2007.

1. alright i am pretty sure i want to scrog but lst and sog sound pretty productive too
    so first here is my setup
    i have 2 4' floros 42 watt 6500K both have 2 bulbs each with a total of 6 plants currently vegging and i am getting ready to plant more soon.
    i have a humidifier and a fan going 24hours a day
    the temp is at a constant 78F and 80% humidity
    the plants are all in 1 gallon pots
    lights are on 24/0 with a timer for later
    i am feeding the plants 1 drop superthirve per gallon with 2 tsp vigoro 24-8-16
    i water once every 4 days
    i mist the plants every morning and night before i go to sleep
    the plants are 8 days old now and the tallest one is nearing about 2-3"
    i have a 2 liter bottle with yeast in it providing CO2 to the plants

closet dimensions are about 5' x 5.5' x 7'

i am currently making a screen 4' x 15" to put under one of the lights
    it is 1" chicken wire

so what i am asking is, is this the best route for me? with scrog is the idea that you tuck the new growth under into a new hole after a new set of leaves has grown in the previous? or just tuck once the new growth is long enough to reach to the next hole? should i go lst? i am aiming for a harvest about once a month but a harvest large enough to last two months occuring every two months would be fine too

some problems im having.....
    ok i have been germinating seeds with a wet napkin and then putting them into 3 parts peat moss 1 part perlite inside a mini green house. the problem is that about 60% of the seeds never sprouted after about 2 weeks. i pulled the seed out (i gave up on this one) the root had shrivled up and was no longer fat like it was inside the napkin...should i have waterd it more or is that a different problem?

another problem....
    2 of the seeds that sprouted from the greenhouse that i put into pots started to shed their seed and lost half of it and then nothing ever happened....it looks like the leaves never developed...

also i tried the 1 drop superthrive in a cup of water method and planted directly into the peat moss mix inside the mini green house...is this the correct procedure?

oh and the dirt in the pots is supersoil i filled the pots like this:
    4 cups of supersoil then one cup of perlite then i filled the rest

any advice is much aprreciated
    pictures to come

2. Id recommend lst before u scrog, get that thing tied nice n low in all directions long before you put the screen over it. also if you are having problems with ur seedlings id recommend putting them directly into the soil and not using the paper towel method, this can put the seedlings through un-necesary stress and end up dead. also if you have a seed remaining on the top of ur sprout for too long it can really fuck up ur seedling or even kill it. id say 1 day is the max to keep a seed on a seeling that is through the soil, any longer than that and u run the risk of ur seedling dying off.

3. That exact thing just happened to one of mine...

I'm doing my 3rd indoor and using LST for the first time. It's sweet to see the branches sprout up so fast from the stem. GL with your grow, post some pics if you can/want.

4. in my opinion, the techniques kind of go together. a scrog is kept low and under a screen, but before you can get a screen in there and working like its supposed to, you gotta do some sort of LST. if you are like me and topped also (twice), LST seems required to keep everything down (vertically speaking), then you can add the screen on top to keep it all down and growing horizontally.

check my grow out if you want, its just a small bush at the moment, but you can see how the LST/tie-down method is separating everything. the screen will go on eventually as well. link in sig.

5. IMO a screen is a waste of space and just gets in the way. I believe that a combo of topping, lsting, and supercropping is the way to go. When I ran into a problem with my Kali Mist stretching too far I started braeking branches and got the plant shaped into a nice fairly even canopy of budsites and they looked like scrogged plants just without the screen. Look at lifeless' setup on icmag he did around a QP out of a 30 gallon rubbermaid with 4 42 watt cfls. He too felt no need for a screen and ditched it and his yields increased by just letting them go somewhat.

6. well the key function of the screen is to keep everything low because vertical space is an issue. if i had 5 or even 6 feet of vertical space to grow in, id kick the screen also, but its necessary in some cases (mine). check my in-progress scrog grow (link in sig) if you want. screen will be added in the next few days im guessing.

7. not true I am in a rubbermaid setup with only about 24 inches of vertical space and I am only using about 9.5inches of space where the tops are actually at and i have made an even canopy without a screen just by breaking the branches and lsting some of them to get them to stay pretty even and close to the light. I am in one gallon pots as well so that limits size.

8. This plant was at about 4 weeks flower when this picture was taken and it was LST'd. LST technically will allow for lower canopy height than scrog. Scrog growers will tell you to put the screen at least 6" off the top of pot and that's BELOW the tops of the buds...look at my pic...I had this plant at about 6" total. Got just under 3 oz off this one at completed flower.

[​IMG]

9. wow that looks about liek what i am aiming for, short, fat and full.

maybe ill just continue the LST route and see where we end up. have the screen as a backup maybe...oh the options!!! its so hard to decide.

10. why cage your marijuana when it is already imprisoned by unjust laws, let it grow free, but within reason. LOL

11. but have you sent them to flower yet?